Problems with Hornady Critical Defense? - Page 2

Problems with Hornady Critical Defense?

This is a discussion on Problems with Hornady Critical Defense? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never had a problem with CD in my XD9sc....but only have fired a box or two from it....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Problems with Hornady Critical Defense?

I've never had a problem with CD in my XD9sc....but only have fired a box or two from it.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    No problems with Critical and kel tec P3AT.

No problems with CD and Kel-tec P-11

mrm
    I shot a box thru my p3at and it seemed to function correctly but here is my problem I shot 2 mags with it and then went to unload the pistol so immediately when I dropped the mag and racked the slide the bullet that had feed into my gun was mangled horrible, nearest i can figure is the bullet is to soft and when it hit the feed ramp it mangled it.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

I have shot maybe a 100 rounds so far and carry them in my Bersa .380, Glock 17 9mm, LCR .38 and my son carry's CD in his LCP .380 and we have never had a failure to fire or a failure to feed.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

No problems with either my Kel-tec PF-9 or Ruger SP-101 after well over 100 rounds in each.
    Vietnam Veterans of America - Life Member
    NRA - Life Member / GOA - Life Member
    SAF - Life Member / AzCDL - Life Member
    Avid motorcyclist for over 50 years.

A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving - Lao Tzu

I purchased one box (20 rounds) and out of the 20, 2 failed to fire (.357 mag). This was after I had kept them in my home defense gun for almost a year. I will never buy Hornady again. It may be great ammo, but I just don't trust it.

My wife has had no problems with this in her P3AT. Am not sure on color of primers.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

Ouch -
    I wish I'd read up on them more before I bought $45 worth.
    Nope, there's enough issues mentioned on the web to make me nix them for carry. I'll blow 'em all at the range tomorrow and see how they do, but I won't carry them.

Y'know what's funny? Well, a busload of lawyers going off a cliff, but ALSO, the fact that I've shot a thousand rounds of White Box, UMC and that cheap stuff from Federal thru my PX4, and have never had a fail-to-fire, fail-to-feed, fail-to-eject, NADA.

Maybe I should just carry the cheap stuff in it...?

Six
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

I've put 200 rounds of CD through my Kimber without a single problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sixsccw View Post

Y'know what's funny? Well, a busload of lawyers going off a cliff...
    When lawyers die, they come back as zombies...

Thanks for the heads up on the silver primers. I've shot about 5 boxes (125 rounds) through my XD9sc and never had a problem with a single round. I went to check my remaining stash to see if they were gold or silver primers and luckily they are all gold. I don't know or remember if the first 125 rounds were gold or silver primers though... but I'll keep an eye out on any new purchases to make sure that they are gold from here on out.

Ok - just fired all 40 rounds of the CD I had - I know that's not much to go by, but for what it's worth I had no failures. All gold primers.
    It's too bad - I like the bullet's concept, but I won't feel comfortable with them after all I've read.

Six
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Quote Originally Posted by ugapug View Post
    I've put 200 rounds of CD through my Kimber without a single problem.
    I bought a box of HCD's a while back and tried them out. I ended up giving the whole box to my brother because I couldn't even get the first round to feed from the mag. He doesn't have a compact 1911 btw. I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II and it appears to be the rubber tips of the bullets like to grip the lower end of the steep feed ramp and I could never even get the first round chambered. I will stick with the XTP's as I've never had an issue with them feeding or going bang. My wife however carries a Ruger SP101 with HCD's and of course no issues either with feeding correctly like retsupt.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    When lawyers die, they come back as zombies...
    Hey, I resemble that remark. Make another one like it, and I will eat your brain!

I have no personal experience with the CD ammo, but one of my students bought some to use in his 9mm Para-Ord pistol. It would not feed a single round, and the little gun feeds everything else he's put through it, including at least two types of hollowpoints. As he described it to me, some rounds hung up on the barrel ramp, others made it into the chamber but would not go fully into battery, evidently due to the case mouths being somewhat oversize. I told him to contact Hornady, but I do not know if he followed through. FWIW, the Hornady folks are great people, and I love their rifle ammo, especially their .308 Light magnum and 6.5 Grendel, but I won't use XTPs for shooting anything more dangerous than a bowling pin.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links