Problems with Hornady Critical Defense?

This is a discussion on Problems with Hornady Critical Defense? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Vendetta3 I recently bought some Hornady Critical Defense ammo for my XD9sc after hearing some good things about it. Unfortunately, while looking ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Problems with Hornady Critical Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta3 View Post
    I recently bought some Hornady Critical Defense ammo for my XD9sc after hearing some good things about it. Unfortunately, while looking around on the some other forums earlier I saw some posts saying there have been a large amount of problems with FTFs due to bad primers. Anybody on here had any bad experiences with CD or heard if this problem has been fixed?
    Saw a post Doc Roberts did about hps that plug after shooting thru denim covered gel. You're right, the CD was guilty. After seeing that, I wouldn't touch CD.

2. Remove Ads

Only shot about 20 rounds of 380 and about the same in 40S&W with no problems.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

I think it's hilarious that people are putting 20 to 60 rounds of carry ammo through guns as reliability tests.

I mean...really, what is 20 to 60 rounds going to tell you?

Maybe I'm fanatical, maybe I'm wasteful...but a flawless 200 rounds of carry ammo should be the minimum you should rely on.

If that would cost you too much, either reevaluate your priorities or reevaluate your carry ammo.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    The critical defense ammo seems quite pricey to me. I've still been able to find Federal's Tatical HST law enforcement ammo at far better pricing, although availability is poor. I thus usually stock up when I can find it.

The critical defense 9mm and .45 loads are nothing special, as they don't have +P loadings available for either of those calibers. However, both the .40 S&W and .357 Mag loadings are very stout and actually outperform most of the competition.

Still, I've become too much of a fan of the HST bullet design, to be able to switch to putting anything else in my fighting pistols. No hollowpoint opens up quite like a Federal HST.

Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    I shot a box thru my p3at and it seemed to function correctly but here is my problem I shot 2 mags with it and then went to unload the pistol so immediately when I dropped the mag and racked the slide the bullet that had feed into my gun was mangled horrible, nearest i can figure is the bullet is to soft and when it hit the feed ramp it mangled it.

This happens with the P380 wih any load, but is especially bad with FMJ and with longer JHPs like the HCD. It's called the "smiley" and is a design flaw of the pistol. The good news is it's an easy fix for a gunsmith familiar with the problem. It also affects the magazine follower, check yours for a gouge in the front and inspect for cracks. Be ready to replace your magazine.

Next time you shoot your Kel Tec, just stop in the middle of a magazine and inspect the chambered round. Your pistol probably damages all kinds of ammo.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Haven't had any problems with them either.

I don't understand all the people say if they heard something or they had a round not fire saying that they will never buy X ammo again, sorry but all and any ammo from any manufacturer can miss-fire, ammo like guns are man made and can and will fail!

If you shoot enough, you will experience a malfunction, period!

If it hasn't happened to you yet while shooting brand X, you have been lucky and it has not happened to you yet.

Let the flames begin! ;)
    Rockymonster likes this.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

I run the 9mm rounds through my Storm subcompact and have had no problems with the ammo.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

Hornady Critical Defense Failures

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta3 View Post
    I recently bought some Hornady Critical Defense ammo for my XD9sc after hearing some good things about it. Unfortunately, while looking around on the some other forums earlier I saw some posts saying there have been a large amount of problems with FTFs due to bad primers. Anybody on here had any bad experiences with CD or heard if this problem has been fixed?
    After having four failures to fire in a row form the same magazine there is no way I would carry a gun with this stuff!!!! The gun was my CW9, it has never failed to go bang with my hand loads or any other.

No problems here with it in my Kimberly ultra carry. Nor in my 9mm. I've had less issues with the CD than with fmj believe it or not.

Hornady

I've used the Hornady Critical Defense in my .45, 9mm and .38, but have yet to run into any type of malfuctions. Odd to hear , seeing that the Springfield XD's usually fire anything you feed them without an issue ....

I'm also fond of the Federal HST.

I've never had any bad Hornandy, nor has my XD-SC ever failed to shoot any ammo I fed it .... and believe me , we tried.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

mbw
    Glock 19 gen4, put all sorts of ammo through it including the CD. Never had a single issue with this gun yet.

Never heard of such. I've fired several hundred 9mm and 45 cal.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    I think it's hilarious that people are putting 20 to 60 rounds of carry ammo through guns as reliability tests.

I mean...really, what is 20 to 60 rounds going to tell you?

Maybe I'm fanatical, maybe I'm wasteful...but a flawless 200 rounds of carry ammo should be the minimum you should rely on.

If that would cost you too much, either reevaluate your priorities or reevaluate your carry ammo.
    I realize this is from 9 months ago, but since the thread has been revived I'll explain it. I just bought a box of 25 38 special Critical defense ammo. I shot 10 to test. I am not testing my gun. I am testing the specific lot # of this ammo. I always test a sample of each box used for ccw. By the way, all 10 fired no problems, so the 15 left are my ccw ammo for the next year. Now I will just shoot cheap target ammo training.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links