Problems with Hornady Critical Defense?

This is a discussion on Problems with Hornady Critical Defense? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why trust your life to a round that has enough questions surrounding it to leave ANY doubt in your mind? Plenty of info out there ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Problems with Hornady Critical Defense?

Why trust your life to a round that has enough questions surrounding it to leave ANY doubt in your mind?

Plenty of info out there to help make a good decision on personal defense ammo:

What I am confident with in our defensive guns:

.380- 90gr Gold Dot
    .38 Special - 135gr +P SB Gold Dot
    9mm- 124gr or 147 gr +P HST (Though will use Gold Dots if no HST)
    .357 Sig - 125gr Gold Dots (I'd use HST here if I could find any at ANY price)
    .45 - 230gr +P HST
    Fisher10 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bigredfish View Post
    Why trust your life to a round that has enough questions surrounding it to leave ANY doubt in your mind?
    I dumped them for this reason. I couldn't get them to work in my 380. My wife gave me a couple of boxes in 9mm by mistake and they worked alright in my G26 and CZ Rami but I heard enough from my friends having problems with them that they became range rounds. Lots of choices out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    Are you referring to a fail to feed, or fail to fire? I thought FTF stood for fail to feed which I think is different from what the original poster was talking about.
    Failure to feed. The round hung up and didn't enter the chamber. Every round fired.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Quote Originally Posted by bigredfish View Post
    That is exactly what I am thinking.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

I've shot several boxes of 380 and 9mm in LCP, G19, and M&P, no problems whatsoever. However, my son has had a couple hang up on the feed ramp of his Kimber 45 when manually chambering the first round from the mag, but no problems firing. The rounds that hung up had the bullet shoved further back in the case. While I still carry them in my 380, I advised my son not to carry them anymore in his Kimber.

Living dangerously

Looks like I need to brush off some dust.

HPIM2936.jpg

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I have shoot a couple hundred in my sig without any FTF or failure to fire this is the first time I've heard of this...
    ironmike86 likes this.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta3 View Post
    I recently bought some Hornady Critical Defense ammo for my XD9sc after hearing some good things about it. Unfortunately, while looking around on the some other forums earlier I saw some posts saying there have been a large amount of problems with FTF’s due to bad primers. Anybody on here had any bad experiences with CD or heard if this problem has been fixed?
    I shot a box through my sig p238 today with one mis-fire. Here is a pic nof the groups shot at 7 yards

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...-sig-p238.html
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Question Problem with hornady critical defense ammo

I carry a Smith & Wesson 4013 TSW. I recently decided to switch to the hornady critical defense FTX ammo. For 40 caliber it only comes in 165 grain. I looked for target ammo whose ballistics match reasonably well the ballistics published by hornady. The ammo I found was the Winchester white box 165 grain product number USA40SWVP. I zeroed in my gun using this ammo and was shooting real well at 20 yards. Then I switched to the hornady critical defense FTX 165 grain. I missed every single shot. I couldn't believe it. I've never done so badly. I put the Winchester white box ammo back in my gun and shot very well again. I don't understand it. I had done the same type of thing with the 9 mm critical defense for my 9 mm carry gun. It worked real well. The reason I am doing this that I do practical pistol almost every week in order to maintain a proficiency level with my concealed carry guns. The hornady critical defense ammo is just too expensive to shoot every week at practical pistol. So I like to use target ammo that matches the ballistics reasonably well so I can be confident that I can shoot with the critical defense ammo as well as I shoot with the target ammo during practical pistol matches. I am completely baffled as to how this could happen. The only possibility is that the ballistics don't match. I have also thought of the ballistics coefficient (flat nose 40 cal vs the more taperd hornady) but I am not sure this would matter much at 20 yards. I am also wondering if there is anything else besides the ballistics and I need to consider when finding equivalent target ammo to use. Any help and advice would be appreciated.
    Pascal

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I have taken the Hornady Critical Defense ammo out of everything but my .380's (my wife and my P328s, the LCP, and the Walther PPK/S). The .380 ammo I have is all brass primers. The problems experienced by the local gun store, ammo returned .380ACP and my buddy with his defective .38 Sp ammo, were all with nickel plated primers. They were the only ammo my buddies Smith wouldn't fire in his 15 years of owning it. The gun isn't the problem.

I have Cor-Bon DPX +P in the Glocks now, and Gold Dot in the Shield (I don't shoot the Shield well for double taps with +P but it's great with standard pressure loads). I saw some Critical Duty on the shelf at Cabela's with brass primers but didn't want to trust it after learning Hornady knew of the hard primer problem and didn't issue a recall or warn us.

At this point I'm not sure I'll ever trust them again. Trust is hard to earn. Not sure what they could do to earn it back. I sure don't want to buy 500 rounds (~$500.00) of their ammo to prove to myself it's good. That's rewarding bad behavior.

They claimed to my buddy they had trouble getting primers so used some from another source. How can you take a company seriously that wastes scarce primers on Zombi ammo then uses the shortage as an excuse for putting defective primers in defense ammo? Zombi ammo? Really?

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

So far I have not had any problems with CD through my CW9. I'm about to go look at the primers on my CD ammo and see if they are silver or gold though......Hmmm, mine are silver. Might have to look for some info on this. Maybe contact Hornady.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I like and trust and Hornady ammo and bullets, but I have been disappointed in their new ammo which has the "polymer tips" in the hollow-point. They now have two types/brands now available... Critical Defense and one other that is escaping me right now.

I use and load every CCW gun for my wife and I with their trusted TAP ammo... which for my 40cal, is their 180gr bullet JHP. If it is good enough for the FBI (180gr JHP), then it is good enough for me.

What I found was that the polymer tip acted like a pencil eraser as it slid up the ramp... and would not slide smoothly into the barrel.
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

Work fine in my S&W 642, no magazine feed lip problems or hangups on the feed ramp. 12 pound trigger pull, which means the hammer slams into the firing pin with a tremendous blow. In fact, in the time that it takes for you go through the recycle drill, I can pump 5 shots into the BG who just jumped out from beside the van next to me in the WALMART parking lot ( at 10-15 feet distance.)

Never mind me, I am just an old fart who carries an antiquated weapon!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I recall hearing that some of the primers used on the Critical Defense line had issues. In particular the nickel colored primers were reported hard to detonate. The brass colored primers were supposedly brought out to correct the issue. If I remember correctly the nickel coating was the culprit in the failure to fire issues. I have also heard (and seen) that on some semi-auto's the tip used on the CD's can drag and cause malfunctions. I did personally try a box of them in 357 Magnum and had issues with the case heads being oversized, which of course would not allow the cylinder to rotate properly. This may have been just that one batch, but as a result I will not use them as a carry load.

Thanks everyone for the replies. One of the "experts" in my practical pistol group says he considers the hornady ammo unreliable. Even though there were no failures to fire in my three 9mm's and my 40, I am now looking into the federal EFMJ ammo for my 40 and possibly my 9mms

Pascal

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links