TSA and Secondary Searches

This is a discussion on TSA and Secondary Searches within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've transported a firearm in checked luggage a couple times on several different airlines. Had a problem once, but the airline rectified it in the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TSA and Secondary Searches

I've transported a firearm in checked luggage a couple times on several different airlines. Had a problem once, but the airline rectified it in the end. I was talking to a Buddy who is a LEO, and we have different impressions about what can happen to my bag after it leaves my posession. My understanding was that once I declared the firearm, had it inspected by the gate agent, locked it up, and waited while the bag went through the TSA checkpoint, that no one besides me was authorized to open the bag. Hence the reason I am required to wait at the TSA check point until the bag clears. My LEO buddy insists there are secondary TSA searches further down the pipeline. Thoughts?

Your LEO buddy is correct.

Sadly, gun bags with orange tags inside, do sometimes disappear.
    Yes, there are other places your bags can stop.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The TSA approved locks with the little red and green flags will tell you if someone has been in your bag subsequent to its departure from you.

Basically, TSA does whatever they want. If you think they are subject to some regulations, try asking to see them in writing some time.

Distinguished Member
    In my experience, the bag itself is not required to be locked up. You could use a TSA lock.

The firearm case inside the bag MUST be locked, and only you have the key. You do not use TSA locks on it.

Of course this does not prevent someone heisting the interior locked gun container. But TSA can still open your bag, just not the container that the firearm is in.

I've only checked a firearm a few times so I am no expert by any means. I find every airline/airport is a bit different, but the basic do's and don'ts mandated by TSA are intact.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    In my experience, the bag itself is not required to be locked up. You could use a TSA lock.

The firearm case inside the bag MUST be locked, and only you have the key. You do not use TSA locks on it.

Of course this does not prevent someone heisting the interior locked gun container. But TSA can still open your bag, just not the container that the firearm is in.

I've only checked a firearm a few times so I am no expert by any means. I find every airline/airport is a bit different, but the basic do's and don'ts mandated by TSA are intact.
    This is my understanding also. I have checked twice (round trips) to different airlines.

I think they can...and the orange tag is inside that container.OMO, but I think that I am correct.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Recently, the trend I have seen is to put the tag outside the weapons container, but inside the luggage bag.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Recently, the trend I have seen is to put the tag outside the weapons container, but inside the luggage bag.
    A nice move which clearly marks the container for theft.

VIP Member
    I fly regularly with a firearm, across the border,

I have always been present when TSA wants to have a look inside my luggage after declaring a firearm to the airline.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    A nice move which clearly marks the container for theft.
    I don't see how this is so, unless someone has already penetrated the outside bag, in which case the contents of the inner container is fairly obvious.

This just results in your firearm case be stolen. What you want to do is treat your luggage itself AS the firearm case. That means firearm + whatever else you want to pack in one single hardened container. This container is locked with a non-TSA lock. The bigger the case, the better the chance it makes it to the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by giaodn View Post
    This just results in your firearm case be stolen. What you want to do is treat your luggage itself AS the firearm case. That means firearm + whatever else you want to pack in one single hardened container. This container is locked with a non-TSA lock. The bigger the case, the better the chance it makes it to the destination.
    At the risk of this being a repost, check out - packing all inside a hard case, with your non-TSA lock on the outside.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Distinguished Member
    Good point. I have not looked at it that way, thanks.

As I am thinking it also comes to mind that you could put the gun case on a ss lanyard, like one of those designed for laptops. That might encourage the casual thief to go to a different bag.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links