CHL test Results

CHL Test Results

This is a discussion on CHL Test Results within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm curious how many of you were not informed what you actually scored (classroom & range tests) during your CHL/CCW class? When I took my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CHL test Results

CHL test Results

I'm curious how many of you were not informed what you actually scored (classroom & range tests) during your CHL/CCW class?

When I took my class, we were not told our scores, only pass/fail.
    We were told this was to protect us in case we ever ended up in court.

A friend of mine recently took his CHL class from a different instructor (also in Texas) and was informed what he scored. So, clearly this is simply the preference of the individual instructor......but it seems like a good idea to me.

any thoughts?

VIP Member
    Hmmm. I am fairly sure I have always been told my score. But, I think they only report pass/fail to DPS.

I was not, although I could count my score easily. The reason my instructor gave for only telling us pass/fail is IF we were ever on trial for a defensive shooting where the BG dies and the DA asked dour score and it was very high to perfect that somehow that would equate to us having been able to wound to stop the threat instead of using lethal force.

I still don't know how that is a valid argument. Telling me to go to the line and when to shoot a target at 3 different distances and a defensive scenario are TOTALLY different shootings. If I have to draw on a threat and fire I know I am going to be pumping with emotions and adrenaline and won't be able to think "shoot to wound" rather I'll be relying on muscle memory and training to shoot to stop.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I was not, although I could count my score easily. The reason my instructor gave for only telling us pass/fail is IF we were ever on trial for a defensive shooting where the BG dies and the DA asked dour score and it was very high to perfect that somehow that would equate to us having been able to wound to stop the threat instead of using lethal force..
    Yeah lol, I counted mine until the 15 yarder. They stacked up about 20ea B27's on top of each other....you really couldnt see what you were hitting at that distance (indoor range, with lights turned down at final distance)

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I still don't know how that is a valid argument. Telling me to go to the line and when to shoot a target at 3 different distances and a defensive scenario are TOTALLY different shootings. If I have to draw on a threat and fire I know I am going to be pumping with emotions and adrenaline and won't be able to think "shoot to wound" rather I'll be relying on muscle memory and training to shoot to stop.
    agreed. While I would have liked to have known my scores, Im OK not knowing if that means it cant be used it against me.

I give the students their targets after shooting if they want them. I have their scores written in the scoring boxes.

The written test, I tell them if they pass or fail, if they want to know how many they missed I will tell them, if they want to know what questions they missed I will tell them that as well. On the written portion, I think most of the errors are due to people failing to read carefully. I tell them this beforehand but it doesn't always catch on.

I don't see the logic of not telling the student. The state only knows if they pass or fail. My records only indicate if they pass or fail. If the student is asked their score if they are involved in a shooting, their lawyer can ask for relevance or the student can plead the 5th if they so choose.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

When I took mine in NC 14 years ago we all got a 100% . That is what happens when the instructor tells you the answers, lol!!! But in all honesty the test was so rediculous back then if you didn't score 100% you are retarded. The test my wife took last year was totally different and now you have to qualify with a firearm. I am actually glad they have improved the testing.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

After our class completed the written portion, the instructor went over ALL of the questions that were missed by the entire class.
    If you weren't paying attention, some of the questions could be a little tricky at first glance.

however, since I wasn't told my score, but I did pay attention all 10 hours.....I can only assume that I got a 100% on the test...so that's a plus

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    When I took mine in NC 14 years ago we all got a 100% . That is what happens when the instructor tells you the answers, lol!!! But in all honesty the test was so rediculous back then if you didn't score 100% you are retarded. The test my wife took last year was totally different and now you have to qualify with a firearm. I am actually glad they have improved the testing.

I was debating on saying it or not lol. While I had to qualify with a firearm, it was an open book sorta test with all the answers "discussed" before handing in the test.

It is interesting how different states have wildly different criteria.

Initially I was turned off by the idea of a 10-15 hour class +a proficiency test....that is until I showed up and realized that some of my class mates haven't so much as fired a weapon before...shocking to me!
    Now I get it and support it.

Never got a 'score' myself. Pass or fail like you said. Thing is.....each time I re-qualify (or renew), the targets seem to get smaller? Sort of odd I guess. My initial qualification target was 12"x12". I swear they are giving me an 8 1/2"x 11' now.
    No matter,,,,I keep going back to my original instructor for the renewals since he supposedly keeps my originals. Improvement? I really don't know from each separate qualification. Grading them? I doubt it....all your qualifying targets do is demonstrate proficiency and the instructor must witness throughout the course of fire. Not sure what the criteria is here (and maybe HotGuns could shed some light). But out of 25-30 rounds fired weak hand, strong hand, and two hand at various distances......you come back with a blank piece of paper, and I doubt you'll "pass". Shall issue surely has some form of limitations pertaining to the qualifying target. I'd be willing to bet an 80% hit ratio or better. What the issuing authority has to say about pass/fail I'm guessing is up to interpretation depending on where and whom. This may lie solely with the instructor and his or her discretion. Thing is....if you're not proficient enough and you shoot an innocent bystander, the issuing authority cannot be held responsible. Just remember that. With CCW comes a responsibility of your own. Nobody's going to say the words over an innocent dead body that you got a 95% on your CCW qualification. They'll hang you no matter what. Score won't make a hill of beans at this point. You'll know the score when you're behind bars or in the midst of a lawsuit. Don't worry about score IMO.

I missed one. As far as the qualification, my instructor just told me and the guy on the lane next to me ( a Marine) that we were done. He said we could complete the shoot if we wanted to but at that point it was mathematically impossible for us to fail so we could just pack up and go home. So I guess you could say I got the minimum passing score.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by vapor162 View Post
    I'm curious how many of you were not informed what you actually scored (classroom & range tests) during your CHL/CCW class?

When I took my class, we were not told our scores, only pass/fail.
    We were told this was to protect us in case we ever ended up in court.

A friend of mine recently took his CHL class from a different instructor (also in Texas) and was informed what he scored. So, clearly this is simply the preference of the individual instructor......but it seems like a good idea to me.

any thoughts?
    Must be a Texas thing because when we took the test here in Louisiana, instructor gave everyone the test, we all went over each individual question, discussed it, and marked the correct answer. After the entire test was completed, it was discarded. Everyone got their "completion" certificate.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I missed one. As far as the qualification, my instructor just told me and the guy on the lane next to me ( a Marine) that we were done. He said we could complete the shoot if we wanted to but at that point it was mathematically impossible for us to fail so we could just pack up and go home. So I guess you could say I got the minimum passing score.
    I thought you were about to say you got send home with a failure for missing one shot.......that would have been crazy.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Interesting. I think the test is specified by law and I don't think that the instructor has the option to do what yours did, but obviously it sort of doesn't matter.

Fifty rounds should be fired. 20 , 20, and 10, at the 3 distances specified which are if memory serves 9 feet, 21 feet, and 45 feet. Only the blind and physically disabled could possibly not get the score at 9 feet. It is more about following the range master's instructions and not hitting the ceiling than anything else.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Out of the four times I have taken the CHL test the only instructor that didn't give the score was the instructor for my initial CHL class. He was adamant that he could not tell us the score because of not wanting an attorney to make an issue out of it later on. For each of my subsequent renewals the instructors didn't care and freely gave the scores out.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links