Anti going "Fred Sanford"

This is a discussion on Anti going "Fred Sanford" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This weekend I was in my hometown at a long time friend's house. He and his wife were home and a friend of his and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti going "Fred Sanford"

Anti going "Fred Sanford"

This weekend I was in my hometown at a long time friend's house. He and his wife were home and a friend of his and his girlfriend were there. I've been around his friend a number of times over the years and he's super cool, but first time meeting his girlfriend. My buddy and his wife have known I carry for years and he and I grew up shooting. He OCs in his RV traveling and typically has a firearm readily available at home. His buddy is also a gun owner, but neither have their carry permits.

The five of us were in his dining room and they were talking about a local home invasion the previous day all over the news in which a girl was kidnapped while people were home during the day. I had not seen it on the news and they went on and on about how someone crashed the house with people home in the day and did this. I didn't say much since I hadn't seen the story and the girlfriend said, "I just don't know what I would do if something like that happened, we had someone snooping around our house not long ago at night and he had to run them off." I took this as an opportunity to say, "it's a shame it has come to this, but this is why I stay armed even at home." She replied, "you don't have a gun do you?" and I replied "yes ma'am." She said, "right now?" and I reveal the grip of my 1911 IWB and say, "yes ma'am, all the time." She grabbed her heart and said, "Oh, I'm afraid of guns!!! My heart is beating out of my chest!!!" I casually said , "Why? It's not going to magically do anything. I've been here for 2 hours and it hasn't done a thing." My buddy and his friend are interested in seeing it so we walk into the kitchen while she's pulling her Fred Sanford heart attack bit. We go in the kitchen and I clear the weapon and let the guys check it out. We discussed a couple different guns we each have and had a great conversation about concealed carry. They weren't familiar with the 1911 platform so I explain how it works in comparison to other semi-autos. After I re-load and re-holster my weapon she walks in the kitchen and says, "I just don't like the noise, it scares me." I said, "No one does, but when at the range I wear ear plugs and if it is a life and death situation, the noise will be the least of my concerns. When it comes to my family, I am prepared." Her boyfriend starts saying he would like to get a 22 for her to shoot and she was open to it. By the end of the conversation, the cardiac arrest was over and she was actually talking about going shooting with her boyfriend.

My cover wear must have been working, because we had been outside a while with them sitting down and me standing up walking around and I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt with a full size 1911 IWB at 3 o'clock. I'm still amazed how well a full size handgun can be concealed even in shorts and a t-shirt. My buddy said he knows I carry and he never noticed and hadn't thought a thing about it. I again take it as an opportunity to encourage them both to get their concealed carry permits.

Anyway, the interaction was kind of funny, sad, interesting, and productive all rolled into one. The sad part was my buddy was going to show his friend his Ruger GP100 4" bbl and he discovered it was locked in his RV at his mom's house (15 miles away). I told him it wasn't doing him any good there and it could get stolen too. Hopefully the conversations will have a positive impact. Just thought I would share.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Any opportunity to educate is a good thing. Sounds like you did well.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Well done. Patience can on occasion turn emotion into understanding.

Reminds me of a similar situation at my house a few months ago. A new friend of mine had stopped by for a visit. She started telling me about some trouble she was having getting rid of a persistent boy friend who wouldn't go away. She expressed some concern that he might try to break in and I said she should have a gun to protect herself. She said she had never shot a gun and would be afraid of having one. I said it would be a good idea to get some training and then get a gun. I also said I keep guns for my self protection and she then asked if I had one in my pocket with a look of concern on her face. I could honestly say I didn't have one in my pocket and let the subject drop, not bothering to tell her it was in the smart carry holster inside my pants. :)

You actually revieled to a....a....STRANGER that you were carrying a gun....OMG

Actually; good job that is much the same way I am, take the opportunity to educate the sheep, kinda surprising how fast some start to come around

Nicely done BugDude.

Yup. The comic, "pushed" theatrics can only last so long under their own steam. Without many taking the bait, I'm surprised she simply didn't up the ante (ie, start dramatically raising the voice, preaching the lines from the playbook, etc). Obviously, she's bright enough to know those "arguments" only go so far. Then again, it is a bit harsh to realize how pointless a defensive firearm is when it's locked at the back of an RV two towns distant. Hopefully they began to think about the simple reality of defensive preparations. It ain't rocket science. It just needs to be done, if one expects to rely upon it when crime comes to visit.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Wow. Now that is a good story BugDude.

I am surprised it had such a good ending based on how the melodramatics started. The man's girlfriend seemed to be exactly the type of anti-gunner you usually can't reach no matter how much logic and common sense is used in the argument. I'm guessing you possess excellent debate skills and carry yourself in a calm and "in control" kind of way. The example of a good person capable to carry on the gun debate with the enemy.

Good job buddy! Thanks for passing on your story.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Excellent. Education and example may someday open the eyes of the anti's. We can only hope and work for it.

.... while she's pulling her Fred Sanford heart attack... great image.

Oye my heart!!!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Great job! That type of interaction is the best thing to advance our freedom.

I've always said - Don't berate, EDUCATE! And the best approach to education is the soft sell. Coming across like your trying to force someone to change their mind or that yous imply think their opinion is stupid is a sure fire way to make them disagree more vehemently if for no other reason then to spite you. However, treat them like a adult (like bugDude did) and use a bit of critical thinking and most reasonable people will at least hear you out. Good job Bug.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My mother-in-law does the same thing if someone even so much as mentions the word "snake." She's never been bit by one or even touched one. I should get her one for Xmas.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I never let anyone know I'm carrying. I never tell anyone. I can still educate and discuss the advantage of self defense without pulling my gun out for all to see. It worked out for you this time but you might really scare someone in the future.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I never let anyone know I'm carrying. I never tell anyone. I can still educate and discuss the advantage of self defense without pulling my gun out for all to see. It worked out for you this time but you might really scare someone in the future.
    then when they start talking about how crazy and wild gun nuts are you can reveal to them you've been carrying for years around them, do they consider you crazy? lol
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links