Almost had to draw today, (hostile animal)

This is a discussion on Almost had to draw today, (hostile animal) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was bent over pulling weeds, and when I was throwing the weeds in a trash can, I noticed that a dog was cautiously walking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was bent over pulling weeds, and when I was throwing the weeds in a trash can, I noticed that a dog was cautiously walking to me. I bent over, and carried on like normal, but then it got closer, so I said calmly, "Hi puppy, want a doggie treat?" and pulled out a dog treat and half way stood up.

As soon as I locked eyes with it, it started snapping, barking, and growling at me. It started approaching looking very aggressive, so I dropped the dog treat, went into a half-way 3pt football stance, (braced against forward thrust, left hand out to deflect attack, and weapon exposed and hovering my pistol). I yelled "HEY! NO! HEY!" I was slowly backing up while watching every move the animal made while keeping the animal in the central area of my vision, and was ready to draw and fire upon the animal if needed. I basically did not see anything except the immediate threat, (a snarling dog menacingly threatening to kill me where I stood). The owner came running to the animal and restrained it within 5s, but I seriously thought I might have had to kill a dog today. If it wouldn't have been for the owner running up to the animal and detaining it, the dog would now be dead.

Lesson to pet owners: RESTRAIN YOUR ANIMALS IF THEY ARE AGGRESSIVE!!

Restrain your animals. Period.

Even a non-agressive critter can get hit by a car or attacked by another animal if you let it run...

If you love them, keep them home!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    my pooch never leaves the yard, and either me or grandma are always right next to her, just in case, just gotta get gma to have a weapon in the yard with her, still working
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I've had to shoot a dog in self-defense before. Still bothers me, but it was necessary.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

You carry dog treats with you for strange dogs?

Anyway, glad to hear you were ok.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    You carry dog treats with you for strange dogs?
    I thought the same thing...??
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I thought he carried dog treats in case he got hungry. My brother in law loves them..

Quote Originally Posted by blastissimo View Post
    I thought he carried dog treats in case he got hungry. My brother in law loves them..
    Shaggy?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

So this was in your own yard? Did you know the dog owner as a neighbor? Had you ever seen that dog before?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

instead of crouching down i've heard of some people standing high and making themselves real big and growling to let the dog know you are boss.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I sometimes think some folks either watch to much TV or read to many Adventure books. After reading all of that here would have been my version of the events....
    While doing yardwork a dog came at me barking , I thought I might have to shoot it until it's owner showed up and took control of their dog...

But then again after being a lifer maybe my scale for excitement is just wore out.
    "Some gave all"
    RIP MSG Kelly Hornbeck

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Likewise. My best deterents have been to stand tall and firmly shout "No." Most dogs are used to "no" and generally respect the "alpha male" attitude. But not always. I'd be concerned that crouching would put me on his level and make me more subject to being rolled over. If that failed, a call to Ceasar is in order.

Glad you came out of it with no harm done to either party. Hopefully the owner gets wiser.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Maybe he smelled the treats? (joke)
    Glad everything worked out OK. Now, what did you say to the owner? Was this a one time thing or does the dog always roam?

Maybe if you hadn't stood up, but just tossed him the doggie treat, he would have eaten it and it might have changed his whole demeanor with you.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

As soon as I locked eyes with it, it started snapping, barking, and growling at me. It started approaching looking very aggressive, so I dropped the dog treat, went into a half-way 3pt football stance, (braced against forward thrust, left hand out to deflect attack, and weapon exposed and hovering my pistol). I yelled "HEY! NO! HEY!" I was slowly backing up while watching every move the animal made while keeping the animal in the central area of my vision, and was ready to draw and fire upon the animal if needed.
    Hmmmmm....OK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links