Michigan Concealed Carry Laws

This is a discussion on Michigan Concealed Carry Laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking looking at Michigans concealed carry laws, and I can't find anything that states that the "No Gun Signs" on businesses have legal ...

Thread: Michigan Concealed Carry Laws

Distinguished Member

Michigan Concealed Carry Laws

I've been looking looking at Michigans concealed carry laws, and I can't find anything that states that the "No Gun Signs" on businesses have legal statute within Michigan?
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    The laws about the signs here in Michigan only have effect if an employee asks you to leave. don't quote me on this, but as far as my knowledge goes you can carry into a place that is posted. If you are asked to leave then leave or you will then be trespassing, and they can then get you in trouble with the police.

Keep it concealed and you should be ok.

Oh and one more thing if it is a store that is posted I will either go in and explain to management how they no longer will be getting my hard earned money, and also send their headquarters an email regarding their "victim enriched zone"... sometimes they will take the sign down when enough people complain. Like Krogers in Ohio.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    I just checked http://handgunlaw.us/states/michigan.pdf and couldn't find anything specific about signage, one way or the other.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

"No firearms" signs here in Michigan carry no weight at all. If the manager/owner of an establishment asks you to leave, you leave immediatly. If Joe the stockboy asks you to leave, ask to see the manager.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by karlmc10 View Post
    "No firearms" signs here in Michigan carry no weight at all. If the manager/owner of an establishment asks you to leave, you leave immediatly. If Joe the stockboy asks you to leave, ask to see the manager.
    That is what I'm thinking as well, I'm going to verify through the SO to make sure.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

Pistol free zones in Michigan don't include businesses with signs. If a place is a pistol free zone and it also happens to have a sign, then you obviously can't carry there, but it's just reminding you. If a private business that you normally would be able to carry in has a sign that says you can't carry, it's still legal to carry there. If they ask you to leave as a result of you carrying, then you'd then be trespassing if you don't leave, which is illegal.

If you are trespassing, with a firearm.......is that more serious?
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    If you are trespassing, with a firearm.......is that more serious?
    I'm not sure, but (no disrespect intended), what does it matter? If you just leave when asked to then it's not tresspassing as you've complied with the order to leave. Don't try to discuss it, don't try to change any minds, just leave and take your buisness elswhere. Entering where there is a sign does not make it tresspassing, not leaving when told/asked to does.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier 29 View Post
    I've been looking looking at Michigan's concealed carry laws, and I can't find anything that states that the "No Gun Signs" on businesses have legal statute within Michigan?
    To under stand the different law's per state Handgun Laws is a great ,just lacking the new info......
    http://www.michigan.gov/msp
    As for no gun signs.. As was said they have no Weight,teeth on a Person CCing.. Now that doesn't mean that if your spotted and ask to come to there office or asked to leave at some point, you must unless you to get a trespassing ticket witch is bad for a CPL/CCW holder.. And it gets reported to the local gun board and could have you CPL suspended for 6 months..
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...s/firearms.pdf
    http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...OR_CPL_HOLDERS

When it comes to PFZ we call them.. You cant CC,but you can Open carry with CPL and, the permission of the owner of the Bar,Stadium,child day care,school...
    Most dont OC with CPL in a stadium due to the amout of people...At least i havent hear of someone doing it..
    You can carry in OC with CPL in a BAr ,but you cant drink..
    Right now there are many places that try to curb the people that carry into there store's, but all there really doing it telling the BG's that no one has a handgun to defend one self and please rob me...
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by karlmc10 View Post
    I think that I'd leave anyway, why wait around and gamble with a police visit? Lots of store around to do business in...IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    The laws about the signs here in Michigan only have effect if an employee asks you to leave. don't quote me on this, but as far as my knowledge goes you can carry into a place that is posted. If you are asked to leave then leave or you will then be trespassing, and they can then get you in trouble with the police.Keep it concealed and you should be ok.

Oh and one more thing if it is a store that is posted I will either go in and explain to management how they no longer will be getting my hard earned money, and also send their headquarters an email regarding their "victim enriched zone"... sometimes they will take the sign down when enough people complain. Like Krogers in Ohio.

^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

As long as the place is not on the official State Pistol Free Zone List, and you are not CC ing

Quote Originally Posted by leibdav1 View Post
    Pistol free zones in Michigan don't include businesses with signs. If a place is a pistol free zone and it also happens to have a sign, then you obviously can't carry there, but it's just reminding you. If a private business that you normally would be able to carry in has a sign that says you can't carry, it's still legal to carry there. If they ask you to leave as a result of you carrying, then you'd then be trespassing if you don't leave, which is illegal.
    ^^^^^^^^^And this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But you can OC with a CPL permit

This is accurate

Quote Originally Posted by XDM40cal View Post
    To under stand the different law's per state Handgun Laws is a great ,just lacking the new info......
    http://www.michigan.gov/msp
    As for no gun signs.. As was said they have no Weight,teeth on a Person CCing.. Now that doesn't mean that if your spotted and ask to come to there office or asked to leave at some point, you must unless you to get a trespassing ticket witch is bad for a CPL/CCW holder.. And it gets reported to the local gun board and could have you CPL suspended for 6 months..
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...s/firearms.pdf
    http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...OR_CPL_HOLDERS

When it comes to PFZ we call them.. You cant CC,but you can Open carry with CPL and, the permission of the owner of the Bar,Stadium,child day care,school...
    Most dont OC with CPL in a stadium due to the amout of people...At least i havent hear of someone doing it..
    You can carry in OC with CPL in a BAr ,but you cant drink..
    Right now there are many places that try to curb the people that carry into there store's, but all there really doing it telling the BG's that no one has a handgun to defend one self and please rob me...
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links