Camping and Florida National Forest Carry Questions
This is a discussion on Camping and Florida National Forest Carry Questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am Planning on going Camping this weekend in or near the Ocala National Forest in Florida. I have my CWP. Can I have my ...
October 14th, 2010 08:16 PM
Camping and Florida National Forest Carry Questions
I am Planning on going Camping this weekend in or near the Ocala National Forest in Florida. I have my CWP. Can I have my gun on me in the national forest in Florida with my Permit. One of the Laws below (709.11) says guns are prohibited in national forest unless hunting with a permit. So Can I carry with my CWP as a national forest is not a place of nuisance?
Also According to 790.25 I am allowed to open carry while camping but how does this conflict with the national park law and my CWP? Could I open carry if not in the National Forest? Below are the two laws.
Basicly I am really confused and I am sure you are to by now.
(3) LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:
(a) Members of the Militia, National Guard, Florida State Defense Force, Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, organized reserves, and other armed forces of the state and of the United States, when on duty, when training or preparing themselves for military duty, or while subject to recall or mobilization;
(b) Citizens of this state subject to duty in the Armed Forces under s. 2, Art. X of the State Constitution, under chapters 250 and 251, and under federal laws, when on duty or when training or preparing themselves for military duty;
(c) Persons carrying out or training for emergency management duties under chapter 252;
(d) Sheriffs, marshals, prison or jail wardens, police officers, Florida highway patrol officers, game wardens, revenue officers, forest officials, special officers appointed under the provisions of chapter 354, and other peace and law enforcement officers and their deputies and assistants and full-time paid peace officers of other states and of the Federal Government who are carrying out official duties while in this state;
(e) Officers or employees of the state or United States duly authorized to carry a concealed weapon;
(f) Guards or messengers of common carriers, express companies, armored car carriers, mail carriers, banks, and other financial institutions, while actually employed in and about the shipment, transportation, or delivery of any money, treasure, bullion, bonds, or other thing of value within this state;
(g) Regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state, or regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for target, skeet, or trap shooting, while at or going to or from shooting practice; or regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for modern or antique firearms collecting, while such members are at or going to or from their collectors' gun shows, conventions, or exhibits;
(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;
(i) A person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of any such person while engaged in the lawful course of such business;
(j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place;
(k) A person firing weapons in a safe and secure indoor range for testing and target practice;
(l) A person traveling by private conveyance when the weapon is securely encased or in a public conveyance when the weapon is securely encased and not in the person's manual possession;
(m) A person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a secure wrapper, concealed or otherwise, from the place of purchase to his or her home or place of business or to a place of repair or back to his or her home or place of business;
(n) A person possessing arms at his or her home or place of business;
(o) Investigators employed by the several public defenders of the state, while actually carrying out official duties, provided such investigators:
1. Are employed full time;
2. Meet the official training standards for firearms established by the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission as provided in s. 943.12(5) and the requirements of ss. 493.6108(1)(a) and 943.13(1)-(4); and
3. Are individually designated by an affidavit of consent signed by the employing public defender and filed with the clerk of the circuit court in the county in which the employing public defender resides.
(p) Investigators employed by the capital collateral representative, while actually carrying out official duties, provided such investigators:
1. Are employed full time;
2. Meet the official training standards for firearms as established by the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission as provided in s. 943.12(1) and the requirements of ss. 493.6108(1)(a) and 943.13(1)-(4); and
3. Are individually designated by an affidavit of consent signed by the capital collateral representative and filed with the clerk of the circuit court in the county in which the investigator is headquartered.
(4) CONSTRUCTION.--This act shall be liberally construed to carry out the declaration of policy herein and in favor of the constitutional right to keep and bear arms for lawful purposes. This act is supplemental and additional to existing rights to bear arms now guaranteed by law and decisions of the courts of Florida, and nothing herein shall impair or diminish any of such rights. This act shall supersede any law, ordinance, or regulation in conflict herewith.
(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
The Next Law:
790.11 Carrying firearms in national forests prohibited.--Except during the hunting season as established by law, no person shall carry, on or about his or her person, or in any vehicle in which such person may be riding, or on any animal which such person may be using, within the limits of a national forest area within the state, any gun or firearm of any description whatever, without first having obtained a permit as hereinafter prescribed except on state roads when securely locked within a vehicle.
October 14th, 2010 10:51 PM
You are good to go. REad the list of prohibited places. Nat'l Forests not mentioned. Pick up Jon Gutmacher's Florida Firearms Law. It will give you the information that you can't always figure out in English without a lawyer to interpret.
OC legal if camping, fishing, hunting or going to/from. Doesn't mean LE will like it or not prone you out.
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
October 15th, 2010 11:20 AM
National forrest's you are legal. State forrests and campgrounds you are not legal. However, life is always worth preseving.
I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot
By GooeyGus in forum General Firearm Discussion
Last Post: September 11th, 2010, 08:19 AM
By quietsage in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
Last Post: August 20th, 2010, 11:33 PM
By Ssmo in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
Last Post: October 3rd, 2009, 06:22 PM
By LOAF in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
Last Post: August 24th, 2009, 05:47 PM
By bh153dc in forum General Firearm Discussion
Last Post: October 18th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Search tags for this page
can i carry a gun florida national forest
carrying rifle in florida camping
concealed carry florida state parks
concealed carry in florida state parks
concealed carry national forest florida
firearms in florida state parks
fl. cwp 790.053
ocala national forest gun laws
ocala national forest open carry
open carry in ocala national forest
open carry ocala national forest
open carry while camping in florida national park
Click on a term to search for related topics.