Defensive Carry banner

My maiden concealed carry to Wal Mart (the Wal Mart Walk)

4K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  KWAG 
#1 ·
Well, after 45 days of waiting my concealed carry license arrived in the mail today. So, to keep the tradition going I made my maiden concealed carry to Wal Mart. Not just any Wal Mart, but a Supercenter on a Friday afternoon no less.:yup:
I got out my new Belt Man gun belt, my Comp-Tac minotaur MTAC holster, loaded my Sig P239 with my 147g JHP ammo and put the holtster on in the 4:30 position. I wore a pair of shorts and a black T shirt. The advice I got on here about getting a good gun belt was priceless. My gun belt pulled the Sig to my side and there it stayed.
I got a shopping cart strolled to the toiletry isle and picked up a few items, then went to the gun section and picked up some Federal 9mm ammo. Then it was off to the food side of the store. Gathered my items and checked out.
Yep, I did tug at my shirt tail once and yes, on the way to my vehicle I checked to see if my firearm was still there. The MTAC holster felt very comfortable, but I was still getting used to the weight of the Sig.
Thanks to the few months I have been on this forum I was better prepared than I thought. I had gotten the belt and holster early so I could adjust the cant and find the right position for me and wear it around the house. That paid off today.
I did feel different and it is hard to describe. There was some pride and also a feeling of responsibility. It was a good feeling and a day I will always remember.:smile:

See less See more
#2 ·
And there was much rejoicing!

Yea....

I feel naked most of the time I have to go out w/o my pistol. Only time I don't is when I go to work (I'm AD USAF and can't have personal firearms on-base), but even then it doesn't feel the same as it used to. Not quite as naked, but still different.

Congrat's again!

BTW, is that holster an IWB or OWB? I carry an SA XD-40SC in an OWB made by one of the members here. And as you've noted, a good belt does indeed make a LOT of difference.

#6 ·
Maiden voyage?
Who's got the map for the Wally World expedition? Seemed to have lost mine. Post it up if you have it!

#8 ·
I don't understand why Wal-Mart is such a big deal. I just mentally run through this checklist before entering an establishment:

1. Am I permitted? (yes)
2. Do I have a concealed deadly weapon? (yes)
3. Am I appearing to be a threat to a reasonable/competent person? (no)
4. Is where I wish to enter armed legal under state law? (yes)

If all 4 stipulations are met; I will enter the establishment, and not be concerned. My actions are 100% legal.

#9 ·
The reason that the wally world walk got started was it is a place with a lot of people in close courters. You get the "Hey I've got a gun on me" out of your system.

#12 ·
Yup. That's it right there in a nutshell. Plus, you can buy stuff while doing the WW. And Wally's parking lots are notorious for BG lurkers so there is some mild risk involved in even going to WW. I live not too far from what has to be the world's skankiest Wally. I won't let my wife go there without me; I don't care how fresh the produce is!

#11 ·
Congrats on the WW Trek!:hand10:
Don't forget to send in your application for the DC certification.:rolleyes:

#14 ·
It is a rite of passage... and you're supposed to buy donuts and coffee for everyone else :hand5:

It's the rules :flute:

#19 ·
LOL I forgot all about the WallyWorld Map,...been a while since I saw it.

Congrats to the OP. It was kind of a big deal to me the first time I concealed too, but it also felt pretty natural. And like most people here, I feel VERY naked without my weapon.

#24 ·
I guess the Walmart walk is a good confidence booster. Then again, it's probably too easy. One might pick up bad habits there, since the vast majority of Walmart shoppers aren't antis and won't make a fuss if they see a gun or someone printing. I've seen lots of people there printing, and FL is pretty strict about that.

My inaugural CC walk was done at MCO (Orlando Intl) to pick up the girlfriend (she needed my help since she had checked luggage). Since I had to park in parking garage and walk a distance (alone), I figured why not? I actually stood just a few feet from the "sterile" area to greet her when she came out, with a fullsize M&P under a loose t-shirt. Surprisingly, even after she and I hugged, and I had bent over the baggage conveyor to pick up some rather large bags, she was later surprised when I removed the holster in the car. She had no idea.

And I managed to walk through an area among TSA agents eyeing for "suspicious" behavior and a horde of tourists who may not be aware or comfortable with other civilians carrying in an airport- that really boosted my confidence, and every place I went afterwards was no big deal.

If I'm going to jump into the pool, why not start at the deep end?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.