NYS CCW License Question

NYS CCW License Question

This is a discussion on NYS CCW License Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all... I am new to this forum. I applied and received a carry license in 1994 in Dutchess County, NY when I lived there. ...

NYS CCW License Question

Hi all... I am new to this forum. I applied and received a carry license in 1994 in Dutchess County, NY when I lived there. It never stated any restrictions on it. After moving to Fulton county I had my paper license changed to state my new address. A year or two later I sold my handguns due to having a mentally handicapped son at an age where I felt it uncomfortable having a firearm in the house. Now that he is grown and living in a group home I decided to purchase a new handgun.

I went to the county Sheriffs office and had my license updated to the new plastic card and purchased a new handgun. My question is I beleive there are no restrictions on my license and just want to confirm that with others in NY that know.

The license does not state "Unrestricted" but also does not state any restrictions. It states the following:

STATE OF NEW YORK
    County of Fulton
    LICENSE TO CARRY PISTOL IS HEREBY GRANTED
    To: My full name, address, etc.

So do I have a full blown CCW license? Also, I assume NY is CCW only and not open carry, correct?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. Technically, NYS doesn't give any restrictions regarding restricted/target and hunting/business carry/etc. - each county tends to make up it's own rules. On mine (erie county), underneath my picture it says target and hunting. This is a stipulation placed by an Erie County judge, not NYS.

Thus, if you don't see anything restricting it noted, IMHO it's an unrestricted license. You could check w/a cop if you desire before you carry if you need to. Did you put down a "use" or restriction on your app? I put "target and hunting", because I know in erie county the odds of unrestricted out the gate are slim to nil. Also, if you are carrying on a restriction (e.g. if I were to carry when not going hunting / target shooting), it's not a felony/misdemeanor. You're simply violating the restrictions noted, and if the cop blows you in to the judge, they can revoke your permit. I don't advocate doing so, just mentioning that if you make an "oops", there's no criminal ramification.

NYS is conceal carry only. No open carry of any kind anywhere. Also be mindful of the counties which your permit is null and void (I think NYC, Westchester county, and 1-2 others). Carry there and get stopped and you're in legal trouble.

CONGRATS!

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    NYS is conceal carry only. No open carry of any kind anywhere. Also be mindful of the counties which your permit is null and void (I think NYC, Westchester county, and 1-2 others). Carry there and get stopped and you're in legal trouble.

CONGRATS!
    If there were restrictions, such as hunting or target only, it would be printed on your permit. Many counties issue non-restricted automatically and some, like Fulton, issue them with cause or after so many years of safe carry. Depends on who issues the permit, judge...etc,. Those issuing the permits change and along with them the rules.

The (Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Manhattan and the Bronx)) five boroughs of NYC are a no go for you. You can always travel through these areas with pistol locked in trunk...etc. per Fed. and NYS. law. All the other counties are ok. Never heard about any others having any restrictions. There might be a few local town rules about carry in certain places but they are not that common.
    OMO

bosco

You could check w/a cop if you desire before you carry if you need to.
    Uhh... No.

You could check w/a LAWYER if you desire before you carry if you need to.

There ya go, fixed it for you.

Distinguished Member
    I know Dutchess only issues unrestricted (or Full Carry as my friends permit says). So when you transferred to Fulton that should/would of carried over. Any restrictions would be printed on the license.

Distinguished Member
    State permits are good anywhere except the 5 boroughs of the city. You can carry in Westchester w/o issue.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I know Dutchess only issues unrestricted (or Full Carry as my friends permit says). So when you transferred to Fulton that should/would of carried over. Any restrictions would be printed on the license.
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I seem to remember when I first moved to Dutchess county I was told they hand them out unrestricted. I know about NYC since I also lived there before Dutchess county and did have a pistol license but only for target shooting back then and it was only good for 2 years at a time. Now I just have to decide on a good holster. Thanks again all.

Congrats and it's good to see a fellow new yorker carrying!
    IAFF 2623
    Everyone comes home!

If the original permit came from Dutchess, I think you're good. I got a surprise from Erie County... my original Erie permit was issued in 1978, target & hunting only. I moved to Dutchess in '82 and got their unrestricted permit. In '85 moved back to Erie, wrote to them to advise I was back in Erie, and that I wanted unrestricted like I had in Dutchess. The Erie permit came with no restrictions marked on it, I thought I was good to go. Flash forward to 2010 - I buy a new pistol, and Erie County has moved from the paper permit system to plastic. They give me the plastic version, and when I get home I notice it's marked "Target & Hunting Only".
    Sonofabiotch ! I call them and they say they have no record of my "upgrade" request, and that they go by the original letter they sent to me in 1978, which had the restrictions noted. So I then go through their official "request an upgrade" process and finally have the unrestricted permit that I thought I had since 1985.
    But like others said, living in Dutchess, you should be ok.
    Time for NY to stop letting the counties make up their own rules.
    Last edited by merlin82plus; October 17th, 2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: gotta get creative with curse words

Quote Originally Posted by merlin82plus View Post
    Time for NY to stop letting the counties make up their own rules.
    If we let the state make the rules we will be in worse shape. Most of us in NY get unrestricted permits from the start. I'm afraid things will get more like NYC if the state makes the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbmeister View Post
    If we let the state make the rules we will be in worse shape.
    You're probably right about that.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbmeister View Post
    Most of us in NY get unrestricted permits from the start.
    I don't know what the statistics are on this, but I'm not sure I buy this statement.

Distinguished Member
    Well the current NYS law only allow for an unrestricted carry permit. All we have to do is stop allowing the counties from setting arbitrary restrictions.

Links