Going to see a friend

Going to see a friend

This is a discussion on Going to see a friend within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am live in Georgia and I am going from my school to see a friend that goes to school in charlotte Nc. I will ...

Thread: Going to see a friend

Going to see a friend

I am live in Georgia and I am going from my school to see a friend that goes to school in charlotte Nc. I will be traveling through SC (where my permit is not honored) and I will end up in NC where my permit is honored. I have read over laws of Nc and Sc and and Sc says that you can have a gun in your car or vehicle but it has to be in the glove box and such. Here come my dilemma first I will be traveling with my friends girlfriend and I am not sure I want to take my gun off and stash it just while going through SC and also in Nc you are not allowed to carry in any establishment that serves alcohol. I am one that hates to break laws but I hate to her shot or robbed more that that. So I can decide if I will just go deep concealment or what. If anyone can shed some light on this situation it would be greatly appreciated.

So are you asking if it's okay to break the law since you don't want to disarm where you are legally required to do so?

If not, then yes, you have to disarm and store it as required by SC law and in NC you have to disarm and store it while at a location that sells alcohol for on site consumption.

Well, its your permit that will go by-by if you get caught, so I say make up your own mind. That way you can't blame me.....
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Quote Originally Posted by Koooooooz View Post
    I am live in Georgia and I am going from my school to see a friend that goes to school in charlotte Nc. I will be traveling through SC (where my permit is not honored) and I will end up in NC where my permit is honored. I have read over laws of Nc and Sc and and Sc says that you can have a gun in your car or vehicle but it has to be in the glove box and such. Here come my dilemma first I will be traveling with my friends girlfriend and I am not sure I want to take my gun off and stash it just while going through SC and also in Nc you are not allowed to carry in any establishment that serves alcohol. I am one that hates to break laws but I hate to her shot or robbed more that that. So I can decide if I will just go deep concealment or what. If anyone can shed some light on this situation it would be greatly appreciated.
    Why challenge the law and lose your priveledge to carry?
    Mitch Rapp is my hero (reference to the Vince Flynn novels)

RIP Vince! Going to miss your novels! :(

Put the gun in a 'rug' for the trip through SC, she (probably) won't know what it is, and you can get to it legally if the need arises.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You could always go around SC, although your friend's girlfriend would probably wonder why you're taking the long route rather than the direct one (might be awkward). To cover, just say you have arrest warrants in SC due to unpaid parking tickets. It's the excuse I use when I avoid driving through Illinois.
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    At the GA-SC line make a pit stop and just put it in the glove box or console and lock the cover. You can get to it if needed. Make a pit stop inside the NC line and while she is inside tending to business you can re-conceal it. Sorry, best I can offer.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattdillon View Post
    Why challenge the law and lose your priveledge to carry?
    Not a privileged it is a right..JMHO

Keep it in your glove box or center console the whole trip. You will need to keep it there while going to a restaurant in NC anyways. That way your friend will never know, it's legal and its within an arms reach while in your car.

You're more likely to get caught by the police while carrying the gun illegally than you are to use the gun in self-defense driving on I-85 between Charlotte and Atlanta anyways. Those state troopers love to pull over out of state plates looking for drug runners.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Just leave it in the glove box problem solved and permit still intact
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

VIP Member
    Let me see if I have this right. You have 2 choices:

1. You can do it legally and still have the weapon available to you if you need it.

Or

2. You can ignore the law and face the possibility of a felony conviction, loss of you weapon, loss of your permit and loss of a lot of cash in legal fees?

Doesn't appear to take a brain surgeon to decide which is the right choice. JMHO
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

just follow the law
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Let me see if I have this right. You have 2 choices:

1. You can do it legally and still have the weapon available to you if you need it.

Or

2. You can ignore the law and face the possibility of a felony conviction, loss of you weapon, loss of your permit and loss of a lot of cash in legal fees?

Doesn't appear to take a brain surgeon to decide which is the right choice. JMHO
    Agreed. It ain't rocket science folks.

Biker

First welcome to the board you will get alot of knowledge here as I did and do everyday. Do you think anybody here is going to tell you it is OK to do something illegal? You are going to get pulled apart quickly.

Here is a thought why dont you (A) tell the GF why dont you go inside a get a table while I go park the park? Let me pull the car up?
    or (B) open the converstation about firearms? (she may know more than yourself)
    (B2) Teach her about firearms and how to protect herself ?
    (C) maybe she has a smoking hot friend who loves guns she can set you up with?

Links