Traveling on commercial aircraft and CC

This is a discussion on Traveling on commercial aircraft and CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you that travel quite a bit (more than once or twice a month) via commercial airlines, do you take your CC with ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traveling on commercial aircraft and CC

For those of you that travel quite a bit (more than once or twice a month) via commercial airlines, do you take your CC with you, or just leave it due to the hassel? If you do travel with it, can you offer any good advise?

I am about to start going from Houston to Denver CO on a regular basis, and would love to have a CC when im there.

Thanks!
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Never had an issue, with long arms,. Just fallow the TSA rules. Locked container plane, Ammo and firearm separate. I donít do it often so I always check the TSA rules for changes and the like before I fly. You have to declare the firearms with the rest of your baggage so show up a little earlier and I have never seen it be an issue.

I rarely travel by plane [I'm a homebody], but if I did I probably wouldn't carry due to the hassle. I'm a rush and hurry type of guy when I go places, so the delays wouldn't make too happy.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I actually find it easier to bring a gun while flying. For some reason, they're extra careful with my luggage, and it never seems to get lost. Usually one of the first bags off the plane, too.

Of course, that leaves a very unhappy me in the airport without a gun, which is why I try to avoid flying if possible.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

I have traveled many time with my shotgun, and never had a problem checking it in. I am specifically asking about handguns. I am the type that hates to wait also, but would love to have my back up with me if at all possible.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

My experiences have been mostly good, as well. Check-in and getting the baggage into the system has gone fine. It's important to note that not all of the ticketing/check-in staff is equally prepared to handle even basic check-ins with weapons. Just keep calm, know that someone else there will have the requisite knowledge to make it smooth, and know that you'll get through it soon enough. I've done pistols, sitting inside a tougher locked case that's then placed inside my locked luggage. Haven't had anything stolen yet.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Below is a link to an excellent thread by a guy who travels extensively. You'll find lots of detailed info and actual pictures of his methods. I followed his advice when traveling commercially and all went very smooth.

I highly recommend this thread to anyone that may be considering traveling with a firearm. He covers topics like the types of cases and locks to use. He includes some of his experiences and goes into all sorts of regulations. Also, he points out possible snags that one may encounter with ticket and TSA personnel.

Very well written.

Mac's Guide To Flying with a Firearm
    There ya go........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGjddG5Owsc

watch the video and this is what you will need to do when flying... Oh DONT BUY TSA LOCKS FOR YOU LUGGAGE! Stuff comes up missing...
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

I have had no problems, except on my most recent flight. My checked firearm didn't return with me on a Delta flight, even though I had checked in 2 hours early. Instead, it came the next morning and I had to go back to the airport to pick it up. The other thing to consider is the extra cost if that's all you are checking. Delta is now up to $25 each way.

Quote Originally Posted by basher052 View Post
    I am about to start going from Houston to Denver CO on a regular basis, and would love to have a CC when im there.
    Is it practical for you to leave a gun in Denver?

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Is it practical for you to leave a gun in Denver?
    If there is a place with storage, this would seem like a possible solution, although traveling with a firearm is not really a hassle.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Cool

I fly Southeast and follow their guidelines. I am a police officer however I never tell them that. I just fill out their form, show them my empty weapon and have my loaded magazine or speedloader in the same locked Pelican hardcase and it goes in my checked luggage. I lock my luggage with TSA locks. Never had a problem. I usually take one of my older guns just in case of baggage theft. I would not want to have any gun stolen but there are some that are more easily replaced than others.

I am fortunate that I will always be able to carry wherever I go even when retired though I fully believe in the second amendment and that it provides for all citizens the right to "keep and bear arms".
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I fly Southeast and follow their guidelines. I am a police officer however I never tell them that. I just fill out their form, show them my empty weapon and have my loaded magazine or speedloader in the same locked Pelican hard case and it goes in my checked luggage. I lock my luggage with TSA locks. Never had a problem. I usually take one of my older guns just in case of baggage theft. I would not want to have any gun stolen but there are some that are more easily replaced than others.

I am fortunate that I will always be able to carry wherever I go even when retired though I fully believe in the second amendment and that it provides for all citizens the right to "keep and bear arms".

The TSA contradicts it self with this lock as there is too may with the key to open your luggage.. Accord to federal firearm's laws you and only you are to have a key if you have a firearm in that check baggage.. Also the pellican case too.. You being a LEO you can carry on a plane?,but the airline may not, the only person that can is a Federal air Marshall....
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Distinguished Member
    My one piece of advice (other than it is easy once you do it the first time) is to go ahead and bring your own defensive ammo. I thought it would be easier to get ammo at my destination rather than travel with it. Dumb. Carrying the ammo with the gun is easy. Don't count on getting what you need once you get to your destination, ammo availability is very regional.

Actually I think your bag is handled more carefully if you do check a gun.

Most advice here is sound. You do need a TSA lock on your checked bag, but ensure your weapon is locked up in a specialized container INSIDE your luggage, and for that case, only you should have the key. I use a Center of Mass car safe, and use the cable to loop around the frame of my bag.

I travel frequently, but often have interim stops or layovers in places like CA, MN, WI, IL, NYC, and others that don't honor my permit. In some places, my SD ammo or simple possession of the firearm is illegal. Sadly, on many of my trips, I simply don't carry because it isn't worth the risk. If I know I am going directly to a state that honors my permit with no connections in places like NYC or Chicago, I'll take my ccw.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links