Need in car Gun safe that will hold my G30 in it's holster.

This is a discussion on Need in car Gun safe that will hold my G30 in it's holster. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Ohio where there are tons of CPZ (Criminal Protection Zones) where I can't take my pistol. That means disarming all the time. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need in car Gun safe that will hold my G30 in it's holster.

I live in Ohio where there are tons of CPZ (Criminal Protection Zones) where I can't take my pistol. That means disarming all the time.

Since I carry a Glock 30 Condition 1, I'd like to do as little "gun handling" as possible when removing the pistol. I like to carry in a Comp-tac infidel, with which I can easily remove the whole pistol + holster combo from my belt.

Last week I picked up a slim keyed in car "gun safe" from Gander mountain. Nice little box (the very standard kind) that comes with a little steel cord for securing it to a seat. Problem is, my G30 does NOT fit in there when its in it's Comp-tac Infidel holster. The added width of the holster just makes it impossible to close the box (even If I remove the foam).

Does anyone have any recommendations for an in-car safe (not the kind I need to build into the console) that I can use with my holster?

2 Chr 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
    +1 I have one next to the Bed :D

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
    The mini looks good. My only concern there is that definitely won't slide under a seat... don't really want people seeing it and asking stupid questions. Does it come with any cables, or can I use cables with it? Or does it need to be bolted to the car. I'm not handy at all and will likely drill into my gas tank if I try to bolt it down.

Gunvault makes a Microvault but it probably won't hold the holster. I can carry full size 1911 and a G30 with mags good for air travel as well.

you don't have to remove the holster just the firearm. and if in a firearm free zone then you need to store it unloaded and separate from ammo. Where is the question.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Quote Originally Posted by 4evrinblujns View Post
    you don't have to remove the holster just the firearm. and if in a firearm free zone then you need to store it unloaded and separate from ammo. Where is the question.
    I think the OP knows that he doesn't HAVE to remove the holster. He is trying to disarm without removing the gun from the holster for safety reasons. In Ohio, very few parking lots are posted and even if they are, parking lot signs do not carry much weight. There is no requirement, as far as I know, to unload the weapon for temporary storage in a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Gunvault makes a Microvault but it probably won't hold the holster. I can carry full size 1911 and a G30 with mags good for air travel as well.
    I keep a Microvault in my car. It carries by G17 inside a Kramer OWB holster just fine.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by knuts6 View Post
    Thats the exact unit I have, except it was rebranded. Its a great little unit, but again, with the holster the darned thing just doesn't close.

Quote Originally Posted by scott314 View Post
    I think the OP knows that he doesn't HAVE to remove the holster. He is trying to disarm without removing the gun from the holster for safety reasons. In Ohio, very few parking lots are posted and even if they are, parking lot signs do not carry much weight. There is no requirement, as far as I know, to unload the weapon for temporary storage in a vehicle.
    Bingo. In ohio, any restaurant that serves alcohol for consumption is off limits for example. Their parking lots are fine. So I'd like to be able to disarm safely. Since in Ohio the disarming ritual can happen very often, I think it is safer to never remove the pistol from it's holster except for cleaning/range use etc...

With a glock pistol my greatest risk of ND comes when reholstering... so I choose to reduce that risk as much as possible. I've read every word in the Attorney General oh Ohio's CCW book and I haven't found any requirement for a CCW holder to unload the pistol when locking it up. In fact a locked box is one of the enumerated "allowed" methods of firearms transport.

The most ND/ADs happen when you are loading/unloading the gun itself. I take my G19 out of my holster whenever I have to disarm(not very often in AZ) and put it in my gun safe under my seat and my holster goes in my glove box.

Sure, that makes sense. I'm super careful when loading/unloading. I have a special "Safe direction" in my house... and I'm super anal about all the safety rules. I just worry about re-holstering because I've seen some cases of Cops having ND when an article of clothing gets caught in the holster. If I do like you and unholster and reholster off-body, that alleviates many of my concerns, good idea.

While the GunVault mini looks like an attractive option, I just don't know how/where to hide it in my car.

When you lock up your G19, do you unload it?

No I don't unload it.The only time I unload it is when I am at the shooting range or cleaning it.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I have a "NanoVault" from Gunvault but it only holds my pistol (HK USP Compact or Walther P99) with a mag and a spare mag but it won't fit with the holster. Therefore, you should get the Microvault which is bigger and I think that it comes with the security cable that you can attach to your car seat frame.

This is what I use (NanoVault 300 by Gunvault - $30.00 in Amazon)

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links