Why you should carry at home.

This is a discussion on Why you should carry at home. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today was the day for people coming to my door. I always carry at the very least a pocket gun at home. The reason is ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why you should carry at home.

Why you should carry at home.

Today was the day for people coming to my door. I always carry at the very least a pocket gun at home. The reason is because I like to answer the door with my right hand on my gun while in my pocket. Therefore it just looks like my hand is in my pocket..no problem. Both visitors were innocent, first was a Boy Scout selling popcorn, I felt so bad I bought a box right away. Second was a neighbor getting petition signatures, I signed. I'm a sucker I guess. But next time the person on the other side of the door might not be so innocent. Carry at home, or never open your door. Even then, carry at home anyway.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

2. Remove Ads

IMO...carrying at home is more important than carrying outside. One of those things.......if you carry for any reason, you don't let your guard down at home. Carry round the clock and you'll never be a "sucker". Popcorn, petitions, cookies, etc......now I could get into all of that. Where we live now, nobody will be pushing any of the sucker stuff. They just don't do that out here in the country. last year we were subject to all those things living in an apartment in town. You pretty much take them as they come, but you still stay armed no matter what. Home time might mean relaxation for some, but for those that know, you never let your guard down. The day you do you'll be most vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    The day you do you'll be most vulnerable.
    Amen.
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend. - US Marine Corps

Someone on this sight mentioned that they had figured out where 100% of home invasions happen.
    2 Chr 7:14

RKM
    My problem with carrying at home is 85% of the time I'm at home, I'm wearing sweatpants or pajama pants and a t-shirt. Those pants don't hold a gun up very well. If I am wearing normal clothes, then yes, I do carry while at home. If I know I'm not leaving the house that day, I just find it odd to wake up, and get dressed to sit around the house all day (usually Sunday's). And when I get home after work, I immediately change into pajamas. But again, the times I am dressed at home, I'm always armed.

If the family isn't home and I'm in the shower, I always grab the HK and bring it into the bathroom with me.

VIP Member
    Best home investment I ever made was a steel security door. I can open the main door or even leave it open and have no fear anyone will get in through the front. I also have two dogs roaming inside but... I still carry in the home.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I live in a quiet, low crime area, but DC is just across the river. A few years ago, two transient low-lifes robbed and killed a man (cut his throat) as he entered his house upon coming home from work. They eventually caught them down by Richmond I think after they killed more people. The murdered family in Conn. could have used a handy firearm or two. You never know. My SmartCarry works wonders even in gym shorts and sweats. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    My problem with carrying at home is 85% of the time I'm at home, I'm wearing sweatpants or pajama pants and a t-shirt. Those pants don't hold a gun up very well. If I am wearing normal clothes, then yes, I do carry while at home. If I know I'm not leaving the house that day, I just find it odd to wake up, and get dressed to sit around the house all day (usually Sunday's). And when I get home after work, I immediately change into pajamas. But again, the times I am dressed at home, I'm always armed.

If the family isn't home and I'm in the shower, I always grab the HK and bring it into the bathroom with me.
    Three words: Galco Miami Classic. That's my preferred solution for carrying when I lounge around in sweats.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Three words: Galco Miami Classic. That's my preferred solution for carrying when I lounge around in sweats.
    Even better.....Galco Classic Lite.....
    http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...48&CatalogID=2
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Dirtbags ARE everywhere, and we must always have our heads (collectively speaking) on swivels, but I can think of nothing worse then becoming a victim in your own home.
    I am always armed at home...always!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The SmartCarry would be perfect for this also. Heck, you don't even need pants to use it. You can also position it anywhere, not just in the front. I like to wear mine at 3 o'clock when wearing gym shorts.

I tend to also sometimes just wear some shorts or sweats around the house. In those cases, the Glock is sitting close by. Most times I simply just strap on my ankle holster with my SP101.
    My family: Glock 19, SW Sigma 40VE, Ruger SP101(.357), GSG-5k pistol (MP5 clone)(.22LR), Makarov .380

Why would one not WANT to carry in their home? It's YOUR castle. I read a piece a while back dealing with home invasion, It seemed to the author that home invasion was on the rise due to the affordability of home security/ alarm systems. So more folks are having them installed. The basis for the home invasion was for the b.g's to get in, secure a hostage, and have the homeowner disable the alarm. Then they were free to loot & pillage at their leisure. If this is true or not, i don't know, but if i was a b.g. it would seem a logical tactic. So pack 'em if you got them. Your home is your castle. Defend It!
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Like Thumper, I have a steel security door in front, but I also have one in back as well. I can leave the inner doors open for ventilation through the house in warm weather, but no one is getting in past the decorative steel security doors. Best investment I made in a long time. However, I still carry at home about 95% of the time, and the other 5% of the time a gun is within reach.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I always have my gun with me in the shower. But my pistol stays locked in my safe if it isn't in my holster. :)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links