Was wrongfully arrested - ball in my court

This is a discussion on Was wrongfully arrested - ball in my court within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Make him join this forum, give him a list of subject to study from here, and have him write an essay covering these points. Also ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Was wrongfully arrested - ball in my court

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Make him join this forum, give him a list of subject to study from here, and have him write an essay covering these points. Also try to arrange for you, him and a knowledge person to go shooting with. You might be able to teach something and turn him into an ally.

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    You have an outstanding resource right there in New Hampshire. Introduce the Officer to Massad Ayoob.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

My hat is off to you, sir, for the way that you have dealt with the situation thus far. A couple great ideas here already. I like the essay as it turns this gentleman into a guinea pig (NO L.E. pun intended) for the 2A cause. Props to you for not busting balls too much and keeping the chief in your corner/ not burning bridges. Good luck...be sure to let us know what you decide.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Was wrongfully arrested - ball in my court

For DMan,
    That others of us in New Hampshire can be on the watch for inappropriate action towards us by uninformed LEOs as we are out and about, in what New Hampshire town or city was this incident?
    I personally like the idea of having this LEO in question attend Massad Ayoob's Lethal Force Institute, Levels 1 through 3 at least. Check it out at www.ayoob.com
    Those 3 courses should cost the LEO probably $3000, spread out over a year or two if he can get space in the courses. Spending about two weeks overall in the classroom and at the range with Massad and us citizens who carry should get this LEO straightened out.
    I hope your ideas to educate this LEO work. Can you report back to us with future results you have?
    Thanks, bones

Great suggestions, guys.

I think one of the diligence would be the reading of this particular thread which would show any reasonable person that what we are about is education and safety, not revenge (as satisfying as that might be). Your most ardent proponents come from your most vocal critics. He may just need a hand, not a fist.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    An excellent course that you might specify is Gabe Suarez's Intro to Gunfighting being held in the Nashua area on July 20th.

See http://www.neshooters.com/2006-schedule.html for specific details.

It'll be >90% civilians in the class. I took it last year and I think there was one other LEO besides myself in the class of ~20.

You are also very lucky if they could expunge your arrest record. Here in MA they never expunge an arrest, even if it is a case of mistaken identity. It will haunt you here for the rest of your life and cause you to explain it to every potential employer, each LTC renewal, etc.

Thanks for sharing your experience DMan, I second the request to post (or PM) the town, my guess is that it will be somewhere in the south of the state :)

Len's suggestion of the Gabe Suarez course is a good one, not prohibitively expensive or time consuming that the LEO resents it, and intense enough to show him that non-LEOs can be "trusted" with firearms.
    First rule of a gunfight: Carry a gun

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Have him spend time with you off duty, in public, while you are carrying (if you can have that type of relationship with him). Associate with others who are open carrying. Go to dinner, etc. In other words, immerse him in the legality of open carry. BTW, are you eligible for a CCW?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Nra & Goal

One last thing for this disappointment for an LEO. He must get
    a 5 year membership to both the NRA & GOAL. He'll get educated.

JimB

Heck,
    Just have him attend the CCW class in your area. They do go over the laws from a Citizen's perspective and would give him the info he needs to get.
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

+1 for Profshadow

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    If in your above post we have been given all the pertinant details, I submit the following >>

Have him become a certified CCW instructor and teach at least 20 classes. This at his own expense and during HIS time off.

I hafta admit,I would not have let him,his chief,and the agency that he works for, off the hook near as easily as you did. Unfortunately he can be sooooo sorry,as can be his chief,but the lack of training ,to me,comes into play. Ultimately he is paid to enforce the laws. He has sworn an oath to this effect.(to protect and defend,etc.) I would ask,what other laws does he pick and choose to enforce,either rightly or wrongly?? Should LEO's be held to a higher standard?? I say "YES".

HARSH ?? DAMN RIGHT !!

Here we are, in forums such as these, trying to figure all kinds of ways to react when pulled over by LEO's,how to show them respect,and be unthreatening,understanding "what a tuff job they have to do", and a permit holder is treated like this. Totally unacceptable !!

This,knowing that the above officer is an example of one tenth of one percent of all LEO's. --------

I agree on the +1 for Profshadow.

The goal is to educate the officer, not embarrass him.

The majority of LEO's are professionals, and my guess is that this officer is also, even though he was not totally up on his training or attitude in this one particular instance.

Let him take whatever CCW course is offered in your area, the same training that any CCW would be required to take. Not only will he learn the laws, but he will have an opportunity to mix in with non LEO types and he will gain a lot of insight there.

Since your decision to forego a law suit will obviously save the department and municipality a lot of money, time, and embarrassment in the public eye, use your friendship with the Police Chief to further the officer's education. Shi* rolls downhill in every department, I am sure the Chief will see to it that all the officers benefit from this instance !

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Also, having him author an essay to be published in the local paper re: above stated subject matter is in order as well as a public apology....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Care to run a campain to educate all the anti LEO's looks like you have a good start there.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links