Was wrongfully arrested - ball in my court

This is a discussion on Was wrongfully arrested - ball in my court within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am making this post on two different sites to get as much feedback as possible. I am seeking some advice on formally educating a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Was wrongfully arrested - ball in my court

I am making this post on two different sites to get as much feedback as possible.

I am seeking some advice on formally educating a LEO officer after the following incident.

Several weeks ago I was open carrying (legal in my state) and I was confronted, handcuffed and placed under arrest. I tried to explain to the officer that open carry was legal in NH, and he was quiet sure that it wasn’t, and he was very rude in the process calling me “ignorant” on the law, along with the general sermon that one can expect on why guns are dangerous for those not in law enforcement to carry. Well, as it turns out I happen to be good friends with the Police Chief of the town were this occurred, and when he heard of what happened (my lawyer called him) he came in to talk with me. I explained what happened and after he heard his officer out, he assured me that I was in the correct in the law and that charges would be dropped, but the officer was refusing to let it go. This led to some legal issues. These issues are now resolved and I have had a long talk with the police chief and with my lawyer present we talked with the arresting officer (and his lawyer) and we came to a resolution. With the blessings of the police chief, I threatened a law suite, but would agree to not pursue the lawsuit IF the arresting officer went through some extensive training regarding the right to carry, 2nd amendment etc, as well as not having anything on his record for this false arrest.

Now that the legal stuff has been cleared, I have until Monday to provide a training program for the officer (pending approval by him and his lawyer). We have agreed to the officer taking 20 hours of training. In this state there is requirement to take a course but I have made arrangements with a gentleman who has taught in Virginia extensively, and now lives here. He informs me that with this officer, he can take up 4 to 6 hours of the 20 hours agreed upon.

The question is, what should I propose? I have this LEO over the barrel. If we can’t agree on what he can take, then the lawsuit can be followed through on along with a permanent letter of reprimand in his file, but I don’t want to do this because the Chief is a friend of mine (and 2A friendly). He has been in my corner the whole way, and I want to try to convert an anti LEO into a pro. Something I think I can accomplish.

So any suggestions on what to suggest for 2A training?

I'd suggest that he join this forum and participate in a constructive manner and read posts.
    Hopefuly, he will begin to understand the mindset of law abiding citizens that exercise their rights as prescribed in the 2nd amendment of the Constitution.

+2, wow good one.

I second the motion of having him join CC !!

Maybe buy him serval books and have him write a 1000 word essay about the book he reads and why 2A is important for americans. Count each book as 3 to 5 hours and essay must be done in one week. Just an idea.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

Five seconds to tell him "A gun is legal for a NH citizen to open carry" and 19 hours 59 minutes, 55 seconds of him processing Armed Citizen stories.

Send him to an anger management class.

Really, maybe he can write a short essay regarding the legality of open carry in your state and submit it for publication in a newsletter or something else that all the police in your state read.

Let him spread the good word to all the other LEOs that may not be aware of our rights.

Lead Moderator
    there are good and bad folks in every job out there. While retraining is in order, perhaps having him not carry his gun for a week (off duty )might be a good reminder why all citizens should have 2nd Ammend. rights.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    +1 for Steve db. Awesome idea. cszy67 also has a good idea. Maybe have that distributed to all LEO agencies in NH and posted someplace for them to read?

It's good to see you are looking to help this LEO see the light and not nail him to a cross. Thats very big of you, man. Lots of respect for that.

cszy67,

That was very well put and a good idea.

Scott

I agree with steve_db.He could really learn alot from these foums.
    Woody!
    Go prepared or dont go.

Bless & support our troops.

All great ideas and I think you should choose the top 4 ideas and spread that out over 20 hours as you see fit. I am loving the fact that you actually have the say so as to what he (The LEO) must do in order to serve his time as we would have to do if it were us.

Think like a judge and sentence him accordingly. Nice job by the way!

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    Nothing that I have ever seen as broken down the us-vs-them barrior better than a four day handgun course at one of the "sights" school. I have seen it time and time again. An LEO or a group of LEO's will come into the course and be very standoffish. As soon as they see the quality of the citizens in the course the walls begin to be broken down.

At the end of four days of learning, sharing, helping, and comaraderie, (sp?) the officers leave with a whole new pespective on what a good armed civilian is really all about.

This goes way passed 20 hours and is definitely not a form of punishment. But what better way to show a confused LEO what law abiding gunowners are really about. If we pass at the chance to exact our revenge, give him something that will really show him the errors of his ways, and that will also benifit him, armed Americans will be shown in the very best light possible.

I have some cheap certificates, I will donate some of the expense. If anyone else thinks this is a good idea and wants to kick in, let me know.

Not to be a jerk and that is a good idea Sweetnbullets, but the expense should come from the officer that does not know his job as he should, not the guy falsly arrested or the forum member or members that would help either. This is a lesson he needs to learn and learning that lesson at his own expense is part of it IMO.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    It might be more effective is a statewide letter gets sent out to all law enforcement in the state on the 2a laws. This would (in theory) help others in the state with this problem. Maybe requiring an hour or so of training for all Fixing this one guy isn't really going to help anything, other than getting a little revenge.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    It might be more effective is a statewide letter gets sent out to all law enforcement in the state on the 2a laws. This would (in theory) help others in the state with this problem. Maybe requiring an hour or so of training for all Fixing this one guy isn't really going to help anything, other than getting a little revenge.
    I like this idea, but how about expanding it? What if he writes an X page article for a statewide or other LE journal on NH 2A and/or carry laws? He would learn what's there and would be educating others at the same time.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links