"I was anti gun, until I got stalked(Merged)

This is a discussion on "I was anti gun, until I got stalked(Merged) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Liberal, anti-gun, freelance writer... learns the truth. Has a long way to go... but is on the right path. Salon. com story...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "I was anti gun, until I got stalked(Merged)

"I was anti gun, until I got stalked(Merged)

Liberal, anti-gun, freelance writer... learns the truth. Has a long way to go... but is on the right path.

Salon. com story
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

2. Remove Ads

The image they choose to use toward this story features a Crosman CO2 powered _BB_gun.

istockphoto

When I clicked on the link immediately I recognized this gun by both it's barrel and frontal profile.
    It is the exact same gun I own and use with students as an introduction to handgun shooting training device.
    It's a WaltherP99 Compact facsimile with functioning trigger, blowback type action slide (magnesium) and is loaded using a magazine type strip (magnesium).

Only a gun newbie would select this specific image and _not_ notice that the barrel of the gun as shown being both copper and pipe cleaner narrow in inside diameter represents a not a real firearm but that of a facsimile.

I've not yet read the actual article for content...

Edit:

So I begin reading and right out the gate I find mis-information, again from a newbie, that is sourced from suspect persons. : (

...and I read that the .357 Magnum and .38 Special were ideal for women interested in a gun for self-defense because they're relatively lightweight, aren't prone to jamming and don't carry too many bullets. Because who really needs a 20-round magazine when you're defending against a stalker? "Six or seven bullets will do you just fine," read one Web comment.
    I've yet to see a new shooter handle a .357 Magnum specifically in a lightweight and thus small frame and short barrel (2" or less) format do well with it as to be able to consistently hit a target t even just 21'.
    Is it possible? Yes.
    Have I in my own experiences as a student and an instructor seen as much? Not up to this day. Maybe I will tomorrow.

As well why do people keep purporting this asinine idea of you don't need but five, six or seven rounds IF you are a 'good shot'...and/or BECAUSE there will only be one attacker (!).
    Balderdash.

Edit 2:

I was petrified when I went to the firing range for the first time. The police officer behind the counter laughed at my Ruger. "Oh, you've got one of those dinky guns!" he said. He warned me how bad the recoil was going to hurt, which scared me even more.
    What a JERK!!!
    A lot of use and help he was...laughing and being demeaning toward a PAYING CUSTOMER.
    Sadly this place is probably the only range available within 20 miles and she's forced to return rather than take her business elsewhere.
    Dear fellow DC.com folks...Do not be this guy, a jerk. new shooters need our support and aid, not to be belittled...In a public space no less!

Another officer took pity and walked me into the range to demonstrate every single step of loading, holding, aiming and firing my weapon. He showed me how to stand and how to eject the bullet casings afterward. Still, even with ear protection, I literally jumped every time someone else pulled a trigger. Gunshots are LOUD.

My hands were shaking as I loaded the .38, and I was still flinching every time the guy in the next lane fired off his .45. I focused on everything the police officer showed me. I kept the barrel pointed down range and my fingers curled around the cylinder until I was ready to snap it back into place. I remembered to keep my thumbs off the gun, and to keep the grip lodged firmly against the fleshy part between my thumb and hand. I aimed, put my finger on the trigger, and fired.
    This is why I bought the Crossman airgun that does look and act very much like a real gun.
    It is an excellent training tool to introduce new shooters both inthe classroom and on a hot range to the concept of shooting including the noise and recoil reaction. I start them with this and once they have demonstrated ability to SAFE the gun, load it and make it ready, properly handle it including finger off the trigger,align the sights and put rounds into a target at 21' that does not look like a shot gun pattern and are actually on paper...I then advance them to a .22 (revolver or autoloader) and from thereto either .38 or 9MM...AND STOP for that day/session.

Finished reading...

On the balance a good article per the subject.
    Agreed very much with javahawk though, the writing style was difficult for me to read as well.

What is sad is that at no time did the author indicate that any of the persons she interacted with toward buying, trying and being shown how to use a gun nor the cop she spoke to in her home or her BF either suggested that she SEEK OUT A QUALIFIED & CERTIFIED FIREARMS INSTRUCTOR for TRAINING in how to properly and safely handle, store, carry (on her person) and make use of a firearm.
    All of these contacts and opportunities yet no report of being suggested to contact the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the NRA, or heck even Pink Pistols (!) to be _properly_ trained so as to help reduce her very normal and reasonable new shooter anxiety.

That is in itself unfortunate.
    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The gun shown might not be entirely a "newbie" thing - the article's author said she bought her own Daisy air pistol and practiced with it regularly when she was in prep school.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

That article was surprisingly difficult to read for me. And I don't mean difficult in the "i can't read good" sense.

Janq,

Thus the ..."has a long way to go, but is on the right path." comment.
    It's a start. And, it's posted on a popular internet site... By a Liberal, Inter-faith, tree hugging, freelancer...good for the cause.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The gun shown might not be entirely a "newbie" thing - the article's author said she bought her own Daisy air pistol and practiced with it regularly when she was in prep school.
    I now read that, but the focus of the article is not about her prep school days or the single sentence mention of that air pistol, nor for that matter her same mention of paintball in the same sentence.
    Had they featured image of a paintball marker that would be just as wrong, as relevant to the articles focus.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

"After going through a box of 50 rounds, I left the range with black-smudged fingers that smelled of gunpowder."

Someone should also tell her about cleaning her hands thoroughly after shooting to avoid lead contamination.

cj
    So let's see...someone crazy knows all about you, and now you basically brag to the world that you're armed...what do you suppose a crazy person might do with this information?

Plus, she had no plans to get trained? She was just lucky enough to have an officer there show her the basics? Ouch.

But still...on the right path I guess.

But still...on the right path I guess.
    With a long way to go... But, we all started somewhere.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

I foud the article not uneasy to read and containing some things I would expect under the circumstances. As to the picture of the BB or "toy" gun, I am not surprised by that. It is obvious that she still does not like guns and I would not expect her to point a real gun at the camera and thereby the photographer.

While there is some misinforamtion in the article most of it is attributed to material she read which she is merely repeating, not knowing any better.

This appears to have been a life changing, or at least lifestyle changing experience. It would not be a surprise to me if some details, like a suggestion(s) to get training, or others were left out. The main emphasis being what caused the change and the primary actions taken because of it and feelings related to it. In addition, I suspect that it was written relatively spontaneously with little or no preparation.

Whle she has taken a step to acquire a tool to support her lifestyle change, I believe that her commitment and capability to use the tool is still in question.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I hope she has some more knowledgable friends to direct her towards proper training. And I agree with Janq, who ever thought that limited ammo capacity was a desireable trait in a handgun?
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I hope she has some more knowledgable friends to direct her towards proper training. And I agree with Janq, who ever thought that limited ammo capacity was a desireable trait in a handgun?
    aye...she wants a wheel gun for all the wrong reasons
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I know there are still a lot of things this lady needs to learn, she needs more training, more practice and more knowledge. And I agree she doesn't seem like she could pull the trigger if need be, but she is headed in the right direction. She went from being completely against guns, couldn't even have them in the same room to buying one and keeping it in her bedroom. Yes she has a lot to learn but everyone starts out in a different place.

I do not agree with, but think I can understand her position on a smaller capacity handgun. She is afraid of guns and has a specific fear of the gun being taken away and used on her and/or her companions. I could see that line of feeling, thinking that with a smaller capacity gun the gun could quickly be emptied at the bg and if he should then gain possession of it it would be empty and not be able to be used against her. Just specualation, but a possibility. Not the logic anyone here would embrace, but plausable given a certain mindset.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Yep, she fires till it's empty (5 shots), missing every shot & then the BG takes it away from her & reloads it & uses it on her & her BF........
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links