Slim 1911 grips for comfort

This is a discussion on Slim 1911 grips for comfort within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I wanted to pick some brains here on the forum about 1911 slim grips. For a long time I have carried in a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slim 1911 grips for comfort

Hey all, I wanted to pick some brains here on the forum about 1911 slim grips.

For a long time I have carried in a Smartcarry. Its the best for me, its fits my kilt-and-a-tshirt more of dress and I can carry the same way every day, no matter what Im doing, working under a car, taking a road trip, sitting around at home, etc...It was also a good option for me because I have no hips and no butt and anything heavy on my waistline will only stay put if I crank my belt down uncomfortably tight. Cover garments are also really hard for me in the Texas heat as Im outside a lot.

Last December I bought my most favorite gun ever, a Kimber Pro Carry II. It has never let me down and I adore it. But I've recently lost weight and the grip suddenly became too much as far as width and was pressing against my lower abdomen and becoming uncomfortable.

So, I do some digging and decide to buy a KelTec pf-9, I use the belt clip and tuck it into my waistband and its very comfortable. Mines reliable and has shot nicely so far, little tough on the hands but thats understandable for a gun that weighs nothing.

But Im having a hard time letting the Kimber go as my daily carry. I know to some guy with Dan Wessons and Wilson Combats its not anything special but to me its been hard.

So after my sob story here, what Im wanting to try to do is maybe try to find some slim 1911 grips and try the Smart Carry again. Anyone know who makes the thinnest grips, is there anything I should know about slim grips, do they crack or curl. I know Ill need a smaller bushing and screw set, anything to be concerned with there? Would slim grips shave off enough girth to make much of a difference, has anyone been in this boat before?

And maybe Im just being too sentimental. I dont feel undergunned with the 9mm but there something about that 45 acp round and the fact that its never let me down thats hard to let go of.

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

VIP Member
    Well not absolutely sure here but even the narrowest 1911 grips are not going to be that thin in regards to them not digging into your abdomen.

You might try a different style of grips like smooth or rubberized. An old trick of the trade was to get the rubberized grip that had the attached rubber front strap and remove the front strap part which made for some pretty nice thin, good gripping panels.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Well not absolutely sure here but even the narrowest 1911 grips are not going to be that thin in regards to them not digging into your abdomen.

You might try a different style of grips like smooth or rubberized. An old trick of the trade was to get the rubberized grip that had the attached rubber front strap and remove the front strap part which made for some pretty nice thin, good gripping panels.
    A straight edge and a razor knife would do the trick. I've got the wrap around rubber hogues on my full size 1911 and I've thought long and hard about doing this to mine.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by alexcantslee View Post
    Anyone know who makes the thinnest grips, is there anything I should know about slim grips, do they crack or curl. I know Ill need a smaller bushing and screw set, anything to be concerned with there? Would slim grips shave off enough girth to make much of a difference, has anyone been in this boat before?

Alex!
    I don't know who's maybe the thinnest, they are all about 40% thinner than stock. The thin stocks do make some difference to me, whether it's enough for you, I couldn't say. I've been carrying a Baer TRS with the thin stocks for a few years now and have not had any problems with "cracking/curling", can't remember ever reading of it either. There are things you want to be careful with, you need to know if your stock screw bushings are staked in place, if they are, you might want to take it to a 'smith and have him/her remove them if you don't have the experience and correct tools.

There are a number of places you can get thin stocks through (these are just a few);

http://www.esmeralda.cc/slender_series_grips.htm
    http://www.cmctactical.com/rosewoodgrips_20_ctg.html
    http://www.brownells.com/
    http://www.woodgrips.com/1911_ultra_thin.htm
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I don't know who's maybe the thinnest, they are all about 40% thinner than stock. The thin stocks do make some difference to me, whether it's enough for you, I couldn't say. I've been carrying a Baer TRS with the thin stocks for a few years now and have not had any problems with "cracking/curling", can't remember ever reading of it either. There are things you want to be careful with, you need to know if your stock screw bushings are staked in place, if they are, you might want to take it to a 'smith and have him/her remove them if you don't have the experience and correct tools.

There are a number of places you can get thin stocks through (these are just a few);

http://www.esmeralda.cc/slender_series_grips.htm
    http://www.brownells.com/
    http://www.woodgrips.com/1911_ultra_thin.htm
    Theres a set of Titanium ones from Brownells. Kind pricey (84 bucks!) but they show to be only 2.5 mm thick, which is the thinnest so far. Most seem to be 5/32. 2.5 MM is about a tenth of an inch, if they really are that thin that would fit the bill. Seems like they would be nice and sturdy, easy to clean.

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

I was sure I had a pair of thin cocobola gunsite grips that I would offer but can't find them, think the house must have ate them, just like the extra truck keys. Will keep looking if there is interest.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Look at Brownells for a set of grips by Navidrex. Slim Mahogany contoured checkered grips. They are extremely thin, but the contour allows you to use stock screw bushings. If you think slim grips are the answer to your problem these are top of the line as a solution. I've used them on my spare CCW 1911 for many years and many rounds with no problems.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

slim grips

I also carry a compact 1911 (Rock Island) but didn't like the thicker grips. I couldn't find any I liked, so I made these:

They are half the thickness of the standard grips and are very comfortable in my hand.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

Almost all my carry 1911s wear thinline Monkey Grips by Larry Davidson. They are reasonably priced, quite thin, and being made of G-10, they are darn near indestructible. Tell Larry I sent you. http://davidsonknives.com/grips/grips.htm

Distinguished Member
    Also similar to the Davidsons are VZ Grips. They make G10 and micarta grips in several styles ranging from near-smooth to very aggressive. If you're rearing against the skin, I recommended their 320 style. It's the least abrasive, especially in linen micarta. If you're using an undershirt, the Double Diamonds, Tactical Diamond, or ETC in G10 have great grippiness, without snagging your clothes.

Another option is Alumagrips. from their site, you can customize size, thickness, color, checker pattern (or lack thereof), checker aggressiveness, engraving, etc.

I know both have slim options.

And yes, you will need low profile bushings, but your current screws may work.
    I've had screws that came with full-size but worked for both, but also others that that were far too long for slim grips. YMMV

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alexcantslee View Post
    Hey all, I wanted to pick some brains here on the forum about 1911 slim grips.

what Im wanting to try to do is maybe try to find some slim 1911 grips and try the Smart Carry again. Anyone know who makes the thinnest grips, is there anything I should know about slim grips, do they crack or curl. I know Ill need a smaller bushing and screw set, anything to be concerned with there? Would slim grips shave off enough girth to make much of a difference, has anyone been in this boat before?
    Alex!
    FYI - I have average hands and the standard 1911A1 grip always felt a tad
    big to me.

When I bought my Springfield GI the first things I did were to change to a FLAT
    mainspring housing and install SLIM grips.

The difference was like night and day.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Smooth wood like cocabola or any laminated wood or even ivory grips will be more comfortable against your body but for me I keep either tacky rubber or checkered wood with addition of deck tape on the front strap and have never noticed any "grabbing" issues on my skin. I think I would opt for a better surface to maintain a grip over worrying about how it grabs or pinches your body. The best way to get around this and carry any grip you please is to wear a underarmor type undershirt or tshirt underneath your regular shirt and tuck it in then the gun isn't resting on your actual skin. Not only will this be way more comfortable but you won't sweat as much on your gun. That is how I carry all of mine.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Aluma Grips makes a great set of thin grips. You can pick your checkering or go smooth. Be sure to get new grip screws and bushings. These grips made a huge difference and as I said you can customize them.

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    Aluma Grips makes a great set of thin grips. You can pick your checkering or go smooth. Be sure to get new grip screws and bushings. These grips made a huge difference and as I said you can customize them.
    If you get Alumagrips and put them on a steel frame, just be sure you take them off frequently, remove the sweat and oil up the frame. On an aluminum alloy frame, not a problem, but you'll get a bimetallic reaction if you sweat on an Alumagripped steel frame, and rust and pitting will set in faster than you can imagine. Go ahead, ask me how I know; much pain, anguish, wailing, gnashing of teeth and an expensive hard-chrome job later, you have to look closely alongside the grips (G-10 now) of my Les Baer Stinger to see the pitting.

Something to consider on ultra-thin grips. While it makes the gun a tad thinner for concealment, it also can dramatically narrow the width of the backstrap surface that spreads the recoil load against the palm of your hand. My hands are reasonably sensitive, so I can really notice when a slightly wider set of grips is on the gun as compared to a thin set. On a 1911's in particular, I have generally found mid-sized wide grips to be far more comfortable for shooting. Something to consider, if going ultra-thin.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links