To you ladies out there... question about holster for purse:

This is a discussion on To you ladies out there... question about holster for purse: within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let's try not to discuss the merit and pros or cons of purse carry. She knows all about that and wants to "work her way ...

Thread: To you ladies out there... question about holster for purse:

Let's try not to discuss the merit and pros or cons of purse carry. She knows all about that and wants to "work her way up" to carrying on her person. So it's purse carry [for now]... let's leave it at that.

For those of you who have at one time or currently do purse carry... we need some ideas on what kind/type of holster. She went to pick up her XD9sc today (I'm so proud) and even though she has looked at conceal carry specific purses she didn't care for any of them so we are looking at a way to use a specific every-day purse that she can CC in. She picked up this purse today:

It has a nice long enough strap to carry across her body instead of just over the shoulder. It has a nice [deep enough] zippered pocket on the inside that is on the side that is up against her body/hip that will be dedicated to ONLY her 'lil XD. She needs some ideas for a holster though. We don't know if women who purse carry use just standard pocket holsters or what. We are thinking something with some retention to where the XD won't easily slide out... but will come out (without the holster) with a nice tug. Any ideas? We don't mind going custom made if we need to go that route... just looking for some ideas if you have some.

She still has probably another 2 or so weeks before her permit comes in but wanted to get some ideas now just in case we had to go custom.

Thanks... she really appreciates the input.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    My wife puts her .38 in a pocket holster and then into a zip pocket in her purse.She had to try a few pocket holsters to get it right.I think we bought the last one at Academy.The pocket holster will hang in the purse,and release the gun much like it would in your pocket,when you draw.She buys her purses off the rack,with the gun in mind.This has worked for 6 years.Hope this helps.

Make sure to check the strap hardware. If you can scratch down to gray pot metal skip that one, if the hardware is real brass or steel then you should be good to go. That's the weakest link on a purse grab is the hardware followed by the stitching on the strap seams.

Distinguished Member
    Most of the purpose made carry purses that I've looked at have a velcro attachment for the holster to the purse to keep it stabilized. You could add this. I've also carried in a backpack with a regular leather holster of some type that is designed to go on a belt. You could just think ahead a little and do some enabling if you get a low profile holster to use in the purse, and then it magically can go on the belt soon.

I really love that bag. Is it a Fossil brand?

Thanks for the comments everyone. I wonder if this holster from Crossbreed would work if we could get some Velcro in that pocket? Link

Cammo girl: yes... that is a Fossil bag that she got at Dillards. If you go to google and search for "Fossil vintage large crossbody" (without the quotes) you'll find it.

I took a bulldog pocket holster and sewed some velcro to the holster. Then sewed a patch of velcro in the purse pocket. Works well enough to keep the firearm oriented correctly. My wife is carrying an XD sc 9mm as well. She want's to move to on body, but the purse was the quickest way to start. I know the feeling on this one. The holster is the worst part to sew. Trying to get my big hands in there was tough. But the little bulldog holster is just neoprene, and provides just enough retention to hold onto the gun. The holster was about $15, and the velcro was about $5. IIRC it's the one on the right in the pic at the link below. I think it's the medium, but would have to check to be sure.

http://www.bulldogcases.com/index.ph...f52e61f9207ba7
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Both Maxpedition and 5.11 make holsters that fit into pockets in their gear, like Fatboys and PushPaks. You can order the holsters separately. My gun purses also came with their own holsters. All holsters have about a 2" x 4" piece of heavy duty velcro on them.

Inside the purse pockets (used only for gun/spare mag and which have double zippers and quick release (rip-open) tabs)....there is also a large patch of heavy duty velcro. You can adjust the cant of the holster in the pockets. And the velcro grip is solid, as is my gun very secure in each holster (not loose at all). When the purse pockets are zipped open (or ripped open) all the way, they are plenty big enough for me to draw my fullsize 9mm.

I carry cross-shoulder, anchor the purse at my left hip with my left hand and have the zippers always in a specific place so that I only need to rip open the rightside zipper to open the gun section. Often when I walk, I have that unzipped for faster access and I can have my hand already on my gun...perhaps looking like I'm after my keys.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

My wife has one of these... http://www.coronadoleather.com/view.aspx?i=157&c=2&p=0 ... when she is packing her Lady Smith.

Loves it, I have her wear the purse cross body only!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Ok, here is the deal:

Wife carries a Walther p22 and WILL NOT use a holster.

Just went through the same ordeal with my wife and her carry purse.

I went with her (armed with a credit card) into a COACH outlet store. They have GREAT carry options for women and they are "in style" with all the chicks too.

Coach offers thick leather straps and heavy duty buckles. The also offer models with long straps so the purse can be carried around the neck, over the shoulder.

The large zipper or snap outer pocket fits and conceals the Walther just fine.

The COACH logo pattern also breaks up and gun "printing".

You cannot go wrong with a COACH purse. Women love them.

My wife checked out all the carry purses, but absolutely hated the style. Coach seems to offer the best of both worlds...so for $150-350 or so, you both can feel good about the new "holster".

Quote Originally Posted by partsscout View Post

I went with her (armed with a credit card) into a COACH outlet store. They have GREAT carry options for women and they are "in style" with all the chicks too.

Coach offers thick leather straps and heavy duty buckles. The also offer models with long straps so the purse can be carried around the neck, over the shoulder.

The large zipper or snap outer pocket fits and conceals the Walther just fine.

The COACH logo pattern also breaks up and gun "printing".

You cannot go wrong with a COACH purse. Women love them.

My wife checked out all the carry purses, but absolutely hated the style. Coach seems to offer the best of both worlds...so for $150-350 or so, you both can feel good about the new "holster".

Thanks, will check it out. I had no idea that Coach made gun purses.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Thanks, will check it out. I had no idea that Coach made gun purses.
    Well, I'm sure they weren't intended to be gun purses, but they sure work well. Good luck!

Sponsored Links