Using a Mic to constant Record

This is a discussion on Using a Mic to constant Record within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking at some recording devices to carry with me at all times while CCing but I remember reading online (Here or maybe another ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using a Mic to constant Record

Using a Mic to constant Record

I was looking at some recording devices to carry with me at all times while CCing but I remember reading online (Here or maybe another site) something about state laws regarding recording someone without their knowledge.

Where would I find information about that? Is there a good place to call? maybe the Sheriff's Office? Sorry if it is a noob question. I did a search but didn't come up with too much.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I would consult an attorney. I know in my at state both parties need to consent unless it is for law enforcement use.

VIP Member
    You can Google it for your state. IC Recorders are very small and cheap.

Here, I Googled it... took 10 seconds!

http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-gui...-recording-law
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I just dont get the desire or feeling the need to record LE. Especially in gun-friendly Texas. I've watched hundreds upon hundreds of youtube vids about oc'ers and cc'ers recording their encounters with LE. Just my opinion, and nothing personal at all to the op'er, but I find it a bit over the top and quite ridiculous.

When I first moved here to Tn, before I was hired on as a CO, nobody knew me from Adam. I had several encounters with both the PD and Sheriffs office. Each time the LEO (5 occassions total in a 3 week period) saw my G19 on my hip and either made no mention of it and went on with the task at hand or the one time the officer saw it and took a half step back, semi-defensive posture. Which was totally understood.

In the end, my actions/demeanor/personality/whatever...gave them no reason to act funny towards me or to think that they were dealing with anything less than a reasonable, responsible citizen who just happened to he going about his daily life...while armed. I've never once been asked if I have a HCP.

Again, I see no need to carry around recorder because you are cc'ing. Unless you really think police are out to get you. And if that's the case, I would ask if there is more to the story that makes you feel that way.

VIP Member
    Court stenographers and video crews are also available for hire at reasonable rates should you feel the need. You do not have to change batteries and some members of either work crew can be very attractive on occasion which helps in dealing with the officer in question. However they are difficult to fit in your pocket and you may have to buy them a happy meal.

Not bashing on you Ianator just the topic of carrying a recorder. Welcome to the forum.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    I just dont get the desire or feeling the need to record LE.
    90% of the time, no. But when you are in court, and the LE is telling his story, wouldn't it be nice to have the facts?
    In a case of LE vs. citizen, the LE will ALWAYS be given the benefit of the doubt in court.

Personally, I think LE's should be required to record arrests. Let the facts speak for themselves. "I shouted, POLICE", well, did you?
    "I ordered him to put his hands up." Maybe.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I take counter precautions. I find my foil hat blocks the dashboard video cams perfectly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I carry a voice recorder with me everywhere I go. Primarily, it's because I usually remember things or think of things I need to do while driving or doing something where I can't easily write it down. That being said, I have used it a couple of times when something looks to be going weird, be it at a restaurant, or WalMart, or where ever. I have never recorded an officer, but being an officer, I have recorded several other conversations, both personal and on the phone.

In TN, only one person in the part must know that the conversation is being recorded. Person A can record a conversation between person A and person B, but NOT a conversation between person B and person C. This is also the federal standard.

Federal law allows recording of phone calls and other electronic communications with the consent of at least one party to the call. A majority of the states and territories have adopted laws based on the federal standard. But 12 states, including California, require the consent of all parties to the call under most circumstances. These are are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington. For a state-by-state guide to taping laws, including a discussion of federal law and references to caselaw, see the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press guide, www.rcfp.org/taping/.

If you google "federal wiretapping laws", you will get alot of the information you need. I also see nothing wrong with recording an encounter with LEO. I promise, if we have an encounter, I am recording you both on video and audio.

There's my thoughts.

Administrator
    People are there own worst enemy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Iowa is a one party state as well... only one party needs to know of the recording...

That said, I don't care... but I did once find a use for a recorder dealing with an employer.

Okay, Inspector Gadget... what happens when you are dealing with 2 LEOs during a stop? It happens quite often around here even for traffic stops. You are recording one... but he talks to the other...are you in violation?
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Distinguished Member
    OR is also a one-party state. That being that one party in the conversation must be aware of the recording.

Here, I Googled it... took 10 seconds!

http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-gui...-recording-law
    I Hate when that happens... Makes me feel sheepish. :)

---------------------
    On the other hand I have thought alot about why i would want to record. First off I agree with GunsnMore that if it came down to your word against an LEO... your SOL. Second, If I am ever in a situation where I am alone with a BG (Say in downtown, no one else around, late at night[I work late there..]) I would of course tell him to stop and back up, tell him to leave me alone but then what if it came to me drawing and shooting. Him living through the situation and going to court. I have a recording of me saying 'stop....back away from me' (I realize that this might be a stretch but now adays??? you never know.)

Not something I have decided to do yet... just gathering information and thoughts from others.

After 20+ years in law enforcement, I think that people who criticize others for wanting to document contacts and, when possible, record interactions are just plain stupid. Based on their logic, there is really no reason to carry a gun...chances are they will never need it and "just in case" is obviously a concept the validity of which they have rejected.

I will be the first to admit that there is a substantial minority in law enforcement who not only see constitutionally imposed limitations on their actions as unreasonable hurdles to be subverted whenever possible, but also see dishonesty as a valid methodology to do so. With no proof one way or the other, a police officer's statement will be accepted over that of an arrestee 99.9% of the time.

The chances that a citizen will need to prove who said what are slim...but then so are the chances that a CHL holder will ever need his or her gun. However, just like a gun, when you need proof of what you said...you need that proof very badly.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Very very bad idea. The recording will be used by a prosecutor, not by a defender. A prosecutor will play it to a jury and insinuate all sorts of crap based upon what he hears, thinks he hears, doesn't hear, or should have heard.

VIP Member
    Hey, I have an idea... On Star! "Hi On Star? I've just been stopped by the Police, would you please monitor this conversation?"
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links