Got My MA Class A Unrestricted Permit, A Bit Confused...

This is a discussion on Got My MA Class A Unrestricted Permit, A Bit Confused... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From the title of my thread you can tell that I got my Non Resident Class A from the MA State Police. It is a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got My MA Class A Unrestricted Permit, A Bit Confused...

Got My MA Class A Unrestricted Permit, A Bit Confused...

From the title of my thread you can tell that I got my Non Resident Class A from the MA State Police. It is a unrestricted permit, which from what I understand allows me to carry anywhere allowed in MA (except the usual restricted locations, schools, federal property, ect.). Now I have some questions:

1. Since this is a "Class A Large Capacity" does this mean that I can use the 13 round magazines that came with my Glock 23? When I interviewed I was told to only use 10 round, to be on the safe side.

2. Since Boston is a very gun unfriendly city, is there any precautions I need to take or anything to know ahead of time in the event of a LEO encounter?

I know that MA has some goofy gun laws and just want to make sure that I donít unintentionally break any laws. Thanks to all for any hints or help!
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

For MA LTC-A holders, any high capacity mags legally possessed in the Commonwealth must be pre-ban. I assume that the same will be true for a NR/LTC-A holder but am not entirely sure.

In Boston, conceal and you'll have no problems. Expect a hostile response from BPD if you are outed. Other than that, business as usual. Oh yea, Boston also has a goofy city ordinance controlling the carry of folders. I can't recall the limit on the blade length right now but 2 inches sounds right.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Yep. ^^

And to be specific "pre-ban" means as manufactured as _PRIOR_ to the Federal Assault Weapon ban of 1994, which the state of MA subsequently incorporated it's language into the states own statute.
    It has been enduring ever since, even as the Federal AWB expired many years ago as this is a states right item.

This should have been well covered in the MA LTC course you took prior to application.
    The MA 'LTC' also states in print "License To Carry"; Although as a matter of fact this statement does not at all mean that the holder can actually 'carry' a firearm anywhere in the state or even that the person might be allowed to carry a firearm at all. The term is variable same as how the statement of "Large Capacity" is also variable.

Four weeks ago I'd had this same conversation with a gentleman at my local range. he was _INCREDULOUS_ at being advised that the high capacity magazines he had on hand for his S&W M&P autoloader were not lawful for him to possess nor carry (he came to the range carrying them on his body). Same applys to magazines toward rifles (see AR15).
    Dude was adamant that I was wrong/mistaken stating that on his license (he took it out to show me...As though I too do not have one in my pocket) it says in block letters "High Capacity".
    I walked off of dude and told him hey don't believe a word I'm saying, go check the MGL for yourself.
    He went on about having lived in MA his whole life and never heard of such "non-sense". Okay. : \

If you possess a given states issue carry permit/license then it is very important that you know (!) the states laws as related.
    Get caught and well pleading ignorance to a cop or court will get you no manner of understanding.

* PART I ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT
    (Chapters 1 through 182)
    * TITLE XX PUBLIC SAFETY AND GOOD ORDER
    * CHAPTER 140 LICENSES
    * Section 121 Firearms sales; definitions; antique firearms; application of law; exceptions

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

“Large capacity weapon”, any firearm, rifle or shotgun: (i) that is semiautomatic with a fixed large capacity feeding device; (ii) that is semiautomatic and capable of accepting, or readily modifiable to accept, any detachable large capacity feeding device; (iii) that employs a rotating cylinder capable of accepting more than ten rounds of ammunition in a rifle or firearm and more than five shotgun shells in the case of a shotgun or firearm; or (iv) that is an assault weapon. The term “large capacity weapon” shall be a secondary designation and shall apply to a weapon in addition to its primary designation as a firearm, rifle or shotgun and shall not include: (i) any weapon that was manufactured in or prior to the year 1899; (ii) any weapon that operates by manual bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (iii) any weapon that is a single-shot weapon; (iv) any weapon that has been modified so as to render it permanently inoperable or otherwise rendered permanently unable to be designated a large capacity weapon; or (v) any weapon that is an antique or relic, theatrical prop or other weapon that is not capable of firing a projectile and which is not intended for use as a functional weapon and cannot be readily modified through a combination of available parts into an operable large capacity weapon.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/Ge...140/Section121
    - Massachusetts General laws
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Thank you both for the help. Now I have another question. I have some surplus magazines that were marked with the date 9-13-94 and made "For LE Use Only" If I were to have one of those high capacity magazines would the LEO's in MA hassle me for the "For LE Use Only" since they were sold as surplus? Thanks!

Did you buy the G23 new in MA? I'm surprised it would come with 13 round magazine since they are supposed to sell you MA compliant mags... As said above, these magazines are not legal unless you are law enforcement. They will have to be made BEFORE 9-13-1994. You can find these pre-ban mags on eBay and you would be able to carry them legally. However, these magazines are more expensive than new ones. I live in RI, but shoot USPSA in MA and bought 10 round mags just for that reason. However, I noticed that A LOT of people had high capacity magazines, even Open race guns that obviously weren't pre-ban. One guy was telling how amazing these "reconditioned high capacity magazines from Cabelas was". He was obviously joking since they were new mags. There are a lot of cops at these events and they don't care. I asked one of them about it and he said that pretty much the only time you will be charged with it is to add onto another charge, such as carrying without a permit, domestic abuse etc. In other words, post-ban high capacity mags are still illegal, but as long as you stay on the right side of the law they won't be a problem.

the LE use only mags cant be used. there are some mags pre ban that are hi cap. I have several 17rd glock 9mm for my 17.
    NRA Member GOAL Member
    Glock 26
    Glock 27
    Sig Sauer 226
    Beretta 21 .25
    S&W1911

VIP Member
    I would just avoid all temptation to enter into the state.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Thanks to all for the advice and guidance. I wouldnt have a MA Non-Resident, but my in-laws live in RI and my father-in-law and I like to shoot. Additionally, my wife is a psychatrist and treats several violent and drug seeking patients that could become stalkers. I did try to get a RI permit but I did not meet their "shall issue" requirements. Eventhough I have CT & MA (both May Issue States).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaineGlock View Post
    Thanks to all for the advice and guidance. I wouldnt have a MA Non-Resident, but my in-laws live in RI and my father-in-law and I like to shoot. Additionally, my wife is a psychatrist and treats several violent and drug seeking patients that could become stalkers. I did try to get a RI permit but I did not meet their "shall issue" requirements. Eventhough I have CT & MA (both May Issue States).
    ^^^^Gotcha^^^^^^^^^^
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I'd use the 10 round mags only. Beautiful Country up your way. I used to live in Caribou back in 1968 and 1969.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Others are confused as well

A person may posses high capacity magazines if he/she has a valid Class A High Capacity permit in MA.

Only restrictions are for possession for those who do not have such a permit or the sale of said magazines within the state.

Quote Originally Posted by osmosis View Post
    A person may posses high capacity magazines if he/she has a valid Class A High Capacity permit in MA.

Only restrictions are for possession for those who do not have such a permit or the sale of said magazines within the state.
    This advise will get you a felony.

No mags over 10 rounds. Pre-ban (prior to 98) mags over 10 are allowed. You must know which ones or face a felony.

The high capacity on your license is a MA thing and doesn't mean what other people think high capacity means. In other words, a revolver is not high capacity, and a Glock is.

This is why I moved to Florida! I got sick and tired of all the crap that you have to put up with in Mass.

Do yourself a favor and only carry 10 round mags. That way you can't run afoul of any laws. State, county, or local. And yes they exist on all levels and they aren't always the same. BTW, I'm pretty sure Boston has some tighter regulations on capacity than the rest of the state.

In Mass you are required to take a class before you are issued a LTC of any kind. Your instructor should have gone over this with you in detail. The next time you go to Mass stop into a gun shop and ask if there's an instructor around. See if you can get some info from him. Normally I'd never suggest this but the gun owners in Mass are pretty good about helping each other out. And you live way too far from Mass to drop in and take a class.

Good luck and I hope you never have to defend yourself there. You will need deep pockets!
    Question Everything!

Carry 10 rounders with 2 or 3 spares,I carry a 1911 which only hol;ds 8+1,I carry 2 spares,when I carry any semi I carry 2 spares doesn't matter if they hold 8 rounds or 16.
    I will guarantee you that JANG knows his stuff on firearms laws up in your part of the country,you can take his knowledge to the bank
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

And where is Janq???

Yet another veteran member I have not seen in a LOOOOOONNNNG time.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links