SmartCarry vs Pocket Holster

This is a discussion on SmartCarry vs Pocket Holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious which is more preferred, Smartcarry or a Pocket holster. What are the pros and cons of each. Also, especially interested in hearing from ...

View Poll Results: Which method do you prefer for deep concealment?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • SmartCarry (or any similiar product, ie Thunderwear)

29 36.25%
  • Pocket Carry (not specifically any brand of holster, but rather the method)

51 63.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SmartCarry vs Pocket Holster

Just curious which is more preferred, Smartcarry or a Pocket holster. What are the pros and cons of each. Also, especially interested in hearing from those who have went from pocket to the smartcarry or vice versa. Any info from those who have experimented with both methods, would be appreciated. If you vote, please explain why you voted the way you did. Thanks

No "none of the above" option? I own both and have tried both. The SmartCarry is more comfortable and more concealable, but it's rather difficult and ungainly getting to your gun if it's needed. I know they claim differently, but that's my experience. I also pocket carry a S&W 642 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster on occasion. Pocket carry is OK if I am wearing cargo shorts or a bulky jacket.

Unless you wear pants like Bozo the Clown or MC Hammer, neither carry method is comfortable if you ask me. I will use either as needs dictate, but 90% of the time, it's IWB for me.

Not sure how to vote on this one, it really depends on the specifics of the situation.

If a firearm is small enough to pocket carry, then Smartcarry doesn't make a lot of sense, due to it's harder to access than the pocket. UNLESS of course you didn't have pockets, or the clothing somehow didn't lend itself to pocket carry.
    On the other hand, if the firearm was too big for the pocket, then you'd have to go with the Smartcarry.

It's kind of hard to compare the two, as to me, they fill very different niches.

For me:
    Bigger gun, no pants, or bad pockets, definitely the Smartcarry.
    Smaller gun, definitely pocket carry
    Smartcarry will work no matter what the variables are, i.e. gun size, clothing choice.
    Pocket carry only works with pockets and guns small enough to fit them.

Obviously, the best solution is (at least) one of each!

If I had to pick a single "deep concealment" method for now and forever, I'd probably go Smartcarry, since it will ultimately be slightly more versatile than pocket carry. so that's how I'll vote, although there's plenty of times I'd much rather pocket carry.

I pocket carry my LCP all the time and when dress permits IWB my SR9c

I'm a huge SmartCarry fan. I've been using one for over a decade for deep concealment with excellent results. I wouldn't be without it. FWIW, I don't carry anything small enough to fit in my pants pocket. I normally carry a 3" M1911 IWB.
    Last edited by TBob; October 27th, 2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Clarification
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Quote Originally Posted by TBob View Post
    I'm a huge SmartCarry fan. I've been using one for over a decade for deep concealment with excellent results. I wouldn't be without it. FWIW, I don't carry anything small enough to fit in my pants pocket. I normally carry a 3" M1911 IWB.
    That's really waht prompted this. I struggle with pocket carry becuase I'm forced to go with a smaller claiber and sacrifice a much needed pocket, whereas the smartcarry would let me carry something larger and save a pocket. Just trying to assess the pros and cons of each method and determine if something is a dealbreaker for me.

You can put me down for everything MadMac said.
    I've got a Smart Carry... I bought it for my P9, and elsie p will fit in just fine without getting lost, too. Elsie doesn't work very well in most of my pockets though. Not unless I carry back pocket, which holds my pocket open, or use a clip to keep her high in my front pocket, or wear cargo shorts (don't own cargo pants). But anyway, the SC is great for carrying a gun hidden and leaving you with complete mobility, but I can't draw with any kind of reliability with it. I guess I wear my belt tight enough to hold my pants up, lol.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I really don't think a "pocket" holster can be considered "deep" concealment. One's pockets are always checked in a search. But, most people really don't want to grab a guy in his crotch.

I pocket carry my SW642. I like the fact that I can put my hand in my pocket and have a grip on the gun.

I guess you could do that with the Smart Carry too, but you might get arrested. Haha
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    That's really waht prompted this. I struggle with pocket carry becuase I'm forced to go with a smaller claiber and sacrifice a much needed pocket, whereas the smartcarry would let me carry something larger and save a pocket. Just trying to assess the pros and cons of each method and determine if something is a dealbreaker for me.
    The only deal-breaker for me is carrying a smaller caliber in my pocket. I have an old single-action AMT Backup .380 that I used to carry before I got smart. I haven't carried it once since upgrading to .45 ACP over 10 years ago. I'm not big, about 5'10", and the SC is comfortable while driving. It's especially good for "huggie" situations like family gatherings, etc., as well as in a suit when I may remove my coat.

It's true that it's not as fast to draw from a SC as opposed to IWB. I don't see that as a huge issue for the SC, though. I can still draw safely, and my SA and brain should work out the rest. Pocket draw isn't any faster in my experience. I'd rather have the effectiveness of .45 ACP available at all times than try to play Wyatt Earp out of my pocket with a mouse gun. JMHO.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I really don't think a "pocket" holster can be considered "deep" concealment. One's pockets are always checked in a search. But, most people really don't want to grab a guy in his crotch.

In the Marines they stressed that items hidden in the crotch area were a favorite area of POW's.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    In the Marines they stressed that items hidden in the crotch area were a favorite area of POW's.
    This reminds me of the scene in the movie "The long kiss good night"

Samuel L. Jackson "Jesus old man! How many of those things do you got!?"

Old Man "3. One shoulder, one hip and one right here next to Mr Wally. Pat down often times don't reveal it because agents are often reluctant to feel up another mans groin"

Samuel L. Jackson "..."
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I dont know much about pocket carrry as my carry gun (G26) is too big for pocket carry (at least for me)

But I did a complete, in depth review of the smart carry pros and cons on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKNQTggQ9GA

Hope this helps!

Maybe the smartcarry works great for guys, I mean who's gonna stare at the "bulge" down there.....but it made me look like I'd suddenly put on some unsightly weight, and my sister couldn't conceal it either. Sent that thing back for a refund.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I use both methods with a G26.You have to find the right pants for either method.Pockets can easily be extended,as far as depth is concerned.Tight pants and SmartCarry probably will not work.Experiment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links