1st encounter with an LEO with weapon in the car

This is a discussion on 1st encounter with an LEO with weapon in the car within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm heading to a WMA with another member of this forum. I say, we are close to the WMA area, I'll put my gun in ...

Thread: 1st encounter with an LEO with weapon in the car

1st encounter with an LEO with weapon in the car

I'm heading to a WMA with another member of this forum. I say, we are close to the WMA area, I'll put my gun in the glove box not to spook any rangers. It was sitting next to me. About ~5 minutes later we encounter a police check point. License and insurance card the LEO asks. I hand him my license and say "the insurance card is in the glove box along with a loaded gun. "

He says "don't point it at me and we will be fine." I open the glove box and sure enough the 1911 is sitting on the insurance card. I say "I have to move the gun to get the insurance card." He says "again, don't point it at me and we will be fine." I move the gun slowly and put it directly on the dash pointed 180 degrees from him and he checks my info finds out where we are going tells us we are not headed the right direction. Gives up good directions there and says "have a nice day".

Looking back on it, I would not have done anything differently. If it would have been CONCEALED, I would have said nothing. Just one of those encounters where you leave thinking did I do it right? By his actions, I say yes.

Thanks for listening.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Sounds like you played that out with good sense and courtesy - which it seems too was returned by the cop.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I think you did it all correctly. You followed his instructions, and parted cordially. Did you tell him you were going to kill a pink cooler?

what was the "checkpoint" all about?

"papers please! papers!"

This sounds like a good encounter. What was the check point all about?

Administrator
    Good Thread Bags. Thanks for posting it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Well done!

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Police in Georgia, particularly the State Patrol will have roadblocks set up from time to time. It is usually a license and insurance check. Sometimes they are looking for DUI. I run into these about once every year or so. My in-laws from Ohio went through one of these one time and they thought it was crazy because apparently they don't do it like this that much up north. I have nothing to hide but it does feel slightly like entrapment..........

Glad everything went well.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    I think you did it all correctly. You followed his instructions, and parted cordially. Did you tell him you were going to kill a pink cooler?

hey now, just cause a mans cooler has turned pink over time is no reason to kill it. However, because it is rust stained and you need something to hold the sand IS a good reason :)

and Doc nailed it.. the police in GA throw up random checkpoints to check your license, seatbelt, and insurance. It is an easy way to look for DUI's and other things.

I work at night, so I tend to find these things all the time.

Also we have the 100 days of summer in where they put tons of cops on the roads for speeding and what not.

Yeah I found it to be a good encounter. And I know we hear about the bad encounters and over reacting LEO's, so I wanted to talk about a good one.

Bravo, sounds like you informed him quick and to the point with out making it dramatic encounter as to impress as some posters have done.
    You have given a good example how to react in this situation.

Sounds like ya done Right ...

We have road blocks here where they check seatbelts

Not trying to be a critic

I think that you spoke respectfully and obviously had a reasonable officer to interact with. I had a similar conversation with a friend recently and we came to the conclusion that an exchange as you said it should be modified a bit. Telling an officer that you have a loaded gun can result in a bad reaction, but if you preface it "I am legally licensed to carry and I have a gun..." it might keep a nervy officer from reacting poorly.

Just an idea.

I ran into a MO checkpoint a couple of weeks ago. Didn't have my weapon on me and totally forgot to show him my brand new PA carry permit. Oh well, next time I guess.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

Lead Moderator
    I declare my weapon always and would even if it were not mandated to in this state. I feel it is safer for me and the officer involved. sounds like you did good though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I had my pistol on my belt under my shirt, but I didn't really feel the need to bring it up to the officer. If he had made some kind of stink about Baggy's gun, I would have told him about mine too.

As much as I hate checkpoints, I was glad we ran into that one. Otherwise, we probably wouldn't have ever found our way to the range.

Links