Defensive Carry banner

Carrying while TDY

6K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  old grunt 
#1 ·
I'm hoping all the Military and Civil Service folks here can answer this for me. Does being on TDY status mean I cannot carry on my off hours? I ask this because during some recent sexual harassment training our HR reps said that when on TDY status an employee can be reported for sexual harassment while off the clock. For example your at a restaurant with co workers and make a joke or something and a co worker is offended then you could get in trouble. Would the same ring true for carrying during off hours on TDY status?

#3 ·
I'm AD USAF and can tell you that per USAF OI's there's nothing forbidding the carry of a personally owned weapon when not currently on duty. I don't know about other Services, but I guess it's possible that an installation commander can limit personnel under his/her command from carrying off duty - i.e. when not in uniform and performing their duties - but I've only heard of it for US Army commanders, not USAF. Obviously, you can't bring your firearm on any Federal Installation unless there's some event that allows for it.

That's all I've got. Hopefully you're staying off-base so that part isn't an issue.

#4 ·
I'd say contact your base legal office for their opinion. But if you want mine I don't see how it is an issue as long as you follow all laws and regulations on carrying (like not on base). The sexual harassment thing is different in my mind, because if you sexually harass a co-worker off the clock, it affects on the clock performance (although military members are really on the clock 24/7). If you are carrying concealed, then no one knows, and if it affects your on the clock performance, its probably because you had to use it, in which case you are better off dealing with legal than being dead.

Plenty of service members carry on leave, I really don't see how the duty status of "TDY" effects the issue, as long as you are obeying all laws and regulations. But heck, I'm just an E-3

#5 ·
You're asking apples and oranges question. The harassment issue would be 24/7 whether TDY or at home station. As to your carry status - I'd say what you do when out of uniform is your business, as long as it's legal.

24 years USAF

#6 ·
Also for reference I'm civil service, not Military. I know that since I'm civil service I'm not required to stay on a military installation when i'm TDY so leaving my carry weapon in the hotel while working on base would not be a problem. But that whole training got me wondering about what TDY status actually limits me to.

#7 ·
Don't bring your gun onto a federal site, and you should be fine. I carry TDY all the time when I am not in a prohibited facility. Now, I am a contractor; as a civil servant, you might face the issue of whether you are allowed to carry during any work hours you are charging, even if you aren't in an off-limits facility. Don't know about that.

My biggest problem with carrying TDY is when my return travel day involves checking out of my hotel and going to a military base before I hit the airport. That's a good time to ask the hotel desk to hold your luggage until you pick it up on the way out of town.

#9 ·
I'm a Government contractor and it is specificaly forbid. It comes under a harassment free workplace. This because the company is paying for the hotel and rental car. I'm not sure if civil service has the same rules. Where it gets a little gray is when it's a company function that the company does pay into. Such as a going away party, company picnic at a park (Not company property). If the company rents the property they feel they has control of the employees enjoying it.

#10 ·
I'm AD USAF....and I carry when TDY (when I was CONUS). In my 16 yrs I have not been able to find any AFI that prohibits carry (federal laws already cover that). Just ensure that when you are TDY, you are billeted off-base. If billeted on-base, either don't take it with you; make arrangements with the SFS armory for pick-up/drop off (most painful, BTW--but can be done--I've done it); make arrangements to keep it off-base (friend or even a gun store).

#11 ·
30 years AD USAF. As others have said, there's no regulation against carrying off-duty at any time, including TDY. The only issue would be on base/federal property. I carried while TDY with no issues. When I stayed on base, I called ahead and made arrangements with the base armory to store my pistol for me (get the individual's name when you call). That took a little extra time in and out, but worked out fine. It's possible that a local armory will wave off due to manning or space constraints, but I never had that happen.

#12 ·
I carried while TDY (USAF Civilian - Civil Service). BUT you cannot carry on a federal installation.

As long as I was billeted off-base there was not a problem. No one ever found a reg saying I couldn't carry while in a TDY status.

As with a lot of life - common sense dictates.

#14 ·
I'd ask you JAG legal advisor. Get it in writing. :yup:
JAG is NOT your "attorney"...their job is to protect the military/commanders, not members. Their opinion means nothing...until you get charged with something.

Bottomline: anything you ask that is not governed by an Army/USMC Regulation, Air Force/Navy Instruction, you will get opinion (see above)...or you will be told "no" (see above). Hint: My research has shown that there is NO guidance in available Air Force Instructions...but then again, I am not a lawyer, so don't take this as legal advice--I'm just a user of the system.

#15 · (Edited)
Looks like ALL the "Blue Suiters" are carrying..........GREAT to hear(LOL !),thought it was just the crazy paratroopers and Marines ! I carried off-duty in NC years ago(had a NYS CCW at the same time),I think it would be even easier nowadays!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.