Picked up my CHP today

This is a discussion on Picked up my CHP today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi folks, Just to let you know there is another one of us out there. I picked it up this morning after a phone call ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked up my CHP today

Picked up my CHP today

Hi folks, Just to let you know there is another one of us out there. I picked it up this morning after a phone call last night from the local sheriff's department. It took a little less than 3 weeks. I am not to pleased at all the cost involved (e.g. gas/class/ammo/fees/taxes/mental health check, etc) but at least I am covered now with a weapon in any configuration. You would think with the cost of this thing they could at least laminate it for you...shhhheeessssshhhhh!! have a great day!!
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the permit.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Excellent! Be safe.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

You need to have a mental health checkup? Wow that's the first time I have heard of that! Here we just need to swear an oath that we are OK, and if we were not, would we really know?
    I guess having to swear before the gun board that you are legal to carry a gun, i.e. no felonies, TRO's, mental health issues makes as much sense as gun free zones. The BG's are just going to lie under oath, I mean whats the penality compared to any felonies the plan on committing with the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    You need to have a mental health checkup? Wow that's the first time I have heard of that! Here we just need to swear an oath that we are OK, and if we were not, would we really know?
    I guess having to swear before the gun board that you are legal to carry a gun, i.e. no felonies, TRO's, mental health issues makes as much sense as gun free zones. The BG's are just going to lie under oath, I mean whats the penality compared to any felonies the plan on committing with the gun?
    I see no reason to throw cold water on the man's enthusiasm. Congratulations to him for going through the hassle to get his permit.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Congrats on getting your permit.

I'm interested in the mental health checkup as well. What did it consist of?

I just got my permit last week. Agree with you about the costs... by the time I paid for the state permit to buy/city gun registration/class/permit fee/gas, it was easily $300. That paid for THREE different background checks. Seems redundant and silly, but at least I didn't have to get a mental health checkup!

Congrats on the permit. As a new license holder I share your excitement!!!

Thanks everyone. The mental health thing was signing a release form so my mental health record could be released to the sheriff's office. I dont know what the check consisted of or how in depth it is. In your package you get from the sheriffs office , it tells you that you will be billed by the state mental health office (around 12 bucks) when they get a copy of your "certified" mental health records release form. Your application and release form must be notarized whenever you turn it in. The notary is just another hoop you have to jump through. to make the CHP happen.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.

Congrats on the carry permit. Hope you follow it up with some quality instruction. Stay safe!
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

I feel fairly confident with my knowledge base whether it be weapons employment or Use of Force issues. I was a cop in the USAF for just over 26 years and graduated EST (SWAT) school. My issues are basically 2 fold. I am fairly new to the 1911 platform even though I have shot them numerous times, I have not carried them and it will definitely be a learning process. I am hoping some quick reaction drills will help on weapons employment and malfs. The other being knowledgeable of the weapon itself. I can take the 1911 down for cleaning but definitely need some more practice. I hope to pick the minds of our 1911 experts to assist me in my endeavors. I currently own 2 1911s and 1 mossberg 500. Of course, I had to purchase 2 different 1911s which break down totally different but the deals I got on them precluded being to picky at the time. Practice, practice, practice is were I need to be.

Congratulations. Be safe.

Congrats. I'm a recent new licensee myself. It's a good feeling. Be safe out there.

Congrats! I just moved from Brunswick County to Stanly County and went to pick up my new address permit today...... and the lady laminated it for me right there in the Sheriff's office. Of course elections are coming up!
    FW21

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Congrats and stay safe!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Congratulations.

NM also requires the same health checks- there are 2 release forms you need to sign, one of them needs to be notarized.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links