Another got pulled over thread.

This is a discussion on Another got pulled over thread. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night I was stopped by the police. It was my first time ever being pulled over. I have never even been in a car ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another got pulled over thread.

Another got pulled over thread.

Last night I was stopped by the police. It was my first time ever being pulled over. I have never even been in a car that was pulled over. I was carrying at the time as I always carry.

Here's the background:
    I was going up a decent hill. There are 3-4 short blocks where the speed limit is 25mph and then it goes up to 55mph as you exit town. My normal driving habit is to turn onto said street and just start to accelerate so that I reach 55-60mph about the time the 55mph zone starts. This is speeding, I was 100% in the wrong, I was prepared and was most certain I was going to get a citation.

I am a pizza jockey and was running supplies from Calumet to Lake Linden (6-7 miles one way) to our people working concessions down in the park in Lake Linden. We were shorthanded and we needed more stuff down at the park, I was trying to hurry a little to get our people the stuff we needed. Time is money.

Here's the play by play:

I was driving up aforementioned hill and was to the second street up when I noticed a Lake Linden squad (Explorer) at the intersection. I thought nothing of it, whoopie doo, I don't get scared and slam on the brakes when I see a police officer. I continued pace up the hill towards Calumet. I was stopped after about 100 yards after driving past said squad. The squad did the classic hang back a little and then when the squad started to accelerate, I pulled over immediately. He didn't even get a chance to put his lights on. I knew had me and wasn't going to milk it out.

I came to a stop, shifted park, shut off my vehicle, placed key on dash, shut off radio, placed hands at 10-2 on steering wheel. Officer A approached driver side assuming tactical positioning behind me between driver and rear passenger door. His hand was at his side, but not touching weapon. Officer B assumed a tactical cover position at the right rear of my vehicle, hand on his weapon. FWIW, both officers appreared to be early to mid 20's at best.

Officer A, the contact officer, said "Hi there, Speedy. How ya doin' tonight?" I said, "Good. I'd like to let you know I have a concealed weapon permit. I have my weapon with me. It is in a holster on my right hip. I made no movements at all, I was awaiting instruction.

He said, "That's cool. I appreciate you telling me right away. I'll make a deal with you. You leave your gun in the holster and we will do the same. Do you have your DL on you?" I said, "Sounds fair to me. My DL is in my wallet which is in my right back pocket, same side as my weapon." Hands still at 10-2.

Officer B comes to take up cover position at rear passenget door.

He (A) said, "With your right hand, slowly unbuckle your safety belt, retrieve your wallet, and please take out your DL." I told him "I will bring my wallet up chest high and then forward, then remove my DL." He said "Go ahead." I did, and flipped my pics over to reveal my permit and said, "Here's my permit, if you need to see it." I handed him my DL and placed my wallet on dash and hands back at 10-2. He asked my why I was speeding and I told him the same thing stated above. "Thanks for being honest. Hang tight I'll be back in a little bit." The back seat was covered with about 15-20 pizza hot bags.

Officer A called Officer B to the rear of my car, then Officer B came to front passenger side, hand off weapon, but still at side. He asked me, "You have a CCW?" "Yes, it is in a holster on my right hip." I didn't know how much information Officer A told Officer B, so I wanted to make sure he knew where my weapon was.

Officer B asked me what I carried. I told him my Taurus .357 snubbie. My Para 10mm is in the shop getting some safeties and trigger fitted. I told him my snubbie is up for sale if he was interested. I tried to be a salesman and told him it would make a nice BUG, etc. He said his wife would kill him if he bought another gun.

Officer A returned to my window. He said, "Ok, you are all set. Just keep it down, lots of tourists up here for the 4th that don't know the different streets. I'll give you five over, but any more than that is pushing it. I want to thank you again for being up front and honest with us especially with your carry permit. Thanks for cooperating and have a safe day." I told him "Thank you very much and stay safe as well." Put DL back in wallet, started car, put on safety belt and drove off.

So there. Good first experience being pulled over while carrying and first time being pulled over ever. I was sure I was going to get a ticket. Officer A has been a PO for 3 years and as I am told has literally NEVER let anyone off for speeding. If he pulls you for speeding, you get a ticket, no ?'s asked. I don't know why he didn't write me.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

2. Remove Ads

Another good experience Glad ya didn't get a ticket also

VIP Member
    Good write-up, freakshow

Sounds like you handled it exactly right...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Good deal. You showed respect and he showed it back. Sounds good to me.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Assistant Administrator
    Yet again I am (personally) convinced that politeness and honesty - and the courtesy that extends - are the best formula.

You could have been banged to rights by sound of it and so the outcome was certainly very favorable! Glad to hear it.

Take it easy now ya hear
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

tec
    Good deal for you. Sounds like you handled it calmly.

By the way, I drove thru your neck of the woods a few years back while visiting Copper Harbour. Pretty area up there.

VIP Member
    Nice work, speedy!
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Nicely handled, especially letting him know what you were going to do every step of the way.

I personally haven't decided whether I would reveal that I'm a CCW or not, if stopped . . . might depend on the circumstances. But if I did reveal, it's been an education to see how others have handled the situation.

LibertyGal
    Requiring a license makes it illegal to do something that was lawful before the license was required.

Lead Moderator
    Nice job, one little aside. You keep your wallet on your strong side, same as the gun? Try carrying the wallet weak hand side , it helps not to expose your gun, or make cops as nervous if you do need to show I.D.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Nice job, one little aside. You keep your wallet on your strong side, same as the gun? Try carrying the wallet weak hand side , it helps not to expose your gun, or make cops as nervous if you do need to show I.D.

I agree with that as well, I have done this since carrying and works out well. It was hard at first to make the change but it's better all around.

Nice job on the stop also freakshow, ya did good. He was probably to freaked out that you were so upfront, honest and knew your stuff and were not trying to hide anything that he let you off with a warning.

One of these same officers may need you in the furture, you never know.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Nice piece of advice. I'm going to give that a try.

Rocky, I have been carrying my wallet in that pocket since I was 8 or 9. I don't know if I'd like to change, I am kind of stubborn. One might say I would never do anything to make myself get pulled over so I wouldn't need access while sitting. I guess it didn't work out like that.:)

I carry IWB at 330-400, going in for my wallet doesn't compromise concealment. I have everything placed so I don't need to think about getting anything.

Ti Carry, funny you should mention that. As I read that, I recalled an incident last year, before I got my permit, where Officer A was investigating an unlawful entry to a building across the street from my work. 911 was called and police responded. Officer A found 4 teens inside and had them line up against the wall inside the foyer. Officer A was in the process of handcuffing a suspect when another looked to me like he was going to take off; he was shifting his weight back and forth, almost like he was contemplating. I made way across the street.

He bolted and I ran after him, Officer A said, Help her catch him. There was a female BU officer. Long story short, I ran him down after 6 blocks of sprinting, tackled him, and held him until another officer (different dept now) could cuff him. I gave this officer my name and contact info.

Maybe officer A remembered me from that incident, or at least my name, and decided to return the favor. Who knows? Maybe it was just a stroke of luck.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Lead Moderator
    Nice write-up, thanks. BTW I agree with Rocky, move your wallet to the weak side. Even better, if you can have it out of your pocket and on the dash when the officer gets there........
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Freakshow, good job. I am sure that I am a good bit older than you and I know that I have been stopped more times than you. I learned a long time ago that just admitting that you were wrong and letting the officer ask you why is the best policy to follow. In 99.99% (my unscientific estimate) of the stops these guys make they get one of several kinds of responses. 1) The person is angry and tries to get in the officer's face. 2) The person tries to drop names about who he knows. 3) Excuses about why he shouldn't get a ticket. 4) Outright denial. When he walks up to a car where the driver has done everything he can to make the officer's job easier and the driver provides all needed information in a pleasant way with no attempt to influence the officer, that officer is automatically predisposed to treat that driver better than he would treat others. Again good job.

About the wallet. I carried my in my right back pocket for close to 30 years and I right now don't even recall why I moved it, but I decided to carry it in the left. It may have been just because mostl dress pants have a button only on the left back pocket and I wanted to button my wallet in. Anyway I decided to move it and it took a few days of consciously placing it in my left pocket and it wasn't comfortable of a week or so, but now I have been carrying it there for almost 30 years. I'm glad or I would have had to do it to carry my primary weapon. I had to make some other adjustments to arrangements in order to carry and I did it. Those also took a week or so to get used to, but I did it and now they are second nature to me. Go ahead and move it.

I don't know about the idea of pulling the wallet out and putting it on the dashboard. If the officer is watching and you reach back like that and come out with something in your hand he may not react in a way conducive to your health. If he does not know what is in your hand his training will probably cause him to react as if it is a threat. There goes your opportunity to be nice.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Excellent.. Good job. I'm sure being honest and mature had a lot to do with it.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links