One in the chamber - Page 2

One in the chamber

This is a discussion on One in the chamber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mine always has a full mag and one in the chamber....ready to go. I leave mine in the holster when I take it off and ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the chamber

Mine always has a full mag and one in the chamber....ready to go. I leave mine in the holster when I take it off and put it in the safe....loaded. I practice every week or two so I unload the hollow points and replace with FMJ when heading to range. Clean after shooting and repeat. I have a 2 year old running around so if it comes off...it goes somewhere safe and inaccessible.

VIP Member
    As long as you are using a proper holster then pocket carry is no big deal. Remember that when a gun is holstered it is often pointing at YOUR legs or feet. This would seem a violation of gun handling rules but experts deem a properly holstered weapon to be an exception.

Example: If you are using one of the very popular supertuck holsters at 1 to 2 o clock then every time you take a step your pistol will be pointing at your thigh.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I'm sure you mean well by asking this question, and it is nice to see someone who cares about safety...

But...and I don't mean to be a dick...if you have to ask a question like "should I keep a round in the chamber?" you are seriously in need of quality training from someone about safe gun handling.

I'm not talking tactical classes doing 2, 3 man teams doing entries on a structure and engaging targets live fire at night with flashbangs & suppressed weapons...

I'm talking a basic gun handling class that gets you comfortable with issues like this.

Seriously, it's only your safety and that of the people around you.

Just a reminder, only your gun in its designated holster goes in your "gun" pocket. No keys, change, lights, knifes, or anything else goes in with it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Always at Condition 1.

The Conditions of Readiness:

The legendary guru of the combat 1911, Jeff Cooper, came up with the "Condition" system to define the state of readiness of the 1911-pattern pistol. The are:

Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also known as "cocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.

Condition 3 - The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.

The mode of readiness preferred by the experts is Condition One. Generally speaking, Condition One offers the best balance of readiness and safety. Its biggest drawback is that it looks scary to [firearm function ignorant] people who don't understand the operation and safety features of the [or any] pistol.

Source - http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/1911_conditions.htm
    To the OP asking this question is akin to asking if one always keeps gas in their cars tank as it is parked in their garage (for fear of explosion), or always the gas & water lines in their home pressurized (for fear of flooding or gas leak), or always their electricity active at home for fear/concern of what might occur should a child by chance come into contact with it.

First off take the time to educate yourself personally toward how your own firearm of choice functions, and does not function.
    That should be your first thought...As rather than what do others do by practice.

As related to it being holstered, the gun at any given point might be pointing at _anyone_ anywhere even including your own body as when holstered.
    The key here though is that the gun is _holstered_ and by that effectively 'safed' IF your holster of choice is a proper type holster for the firearm AND is a quality product.
    No different than the 'holster' you very likely have within your home for say your kitchen knives.
    Think about this and how very many other things you keep at hand within your home that are holstered/sheathed/contained and are also inherently dangerous...And even easier to harm ones self with when misused or touched by children ignorant in manner. As fact modern homes are rife with such objects and products.

Next I would strongly encourage you to take an introduction to firearms course toward 'Basic Pistol' such as what is offered by the NRA; http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx
    You may have in the past taken a 'CCW" marketed and orientated course but I do encourage you to take a specific course that does focus on the actual mechanics of how a firearm functions and does not function (!). Yes it'll cost you coin & time, but ask yourself how much are you and your family worth to you in coin & time?

Personally all of my handguns are kept on my person as _in a quality holster_ with a round chambered; Charged, cocked, and safety activated....Ready for use.
    My own children are 4 and 7. I horse around with them constantly. I carry always when outside the home and often times when inside (my home).
    No gun that I own is not mechanically drop safe. I have tested for this myself, not just taking mfr. and MA state AG word for it.
    As well the only time that my pistols are not in a holster is when they are stored in my gun safe under lock & key.

Last item; Welcome to our forum!

- Janq
    Multiple certification firearms instructor including; NRA 'Basic Pistol', S&W Company, USFWS, MA Dept. of Fisheries & Wildlife and the NH Dept.of Fish & Game

Edit:
    Agreed _very much_ with the statements by MitchellCT, and the suggestions of SIGguy229.
    Last edited by Janq; November 1st, 2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Fixed two typos.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ major +1- very well said IMO, Janq.

I will admit having not chambered a round when I first CCW'd as I was "acclimating" to my new autoloader which has no manual safety per se. However, I ***ALWAYS*** carry now with one in the pipe. In fact, I fear having any of my handguns UNloaded (except for cleaning) as it helps maintain my proper respect for them. But that's just me, your mileage may vary. I reckon if I had kids around there might be some slight changes where I keep my firearms but if they were at my side in a holster it would not be an issue (for me) regardless of how the holster was oriented...
    Four Rugers, three SIG Sauers; my SP101 3-1/16" .357 is shown in my avatar. I like reliability.

There's an old saying, Just because you didn't chamber a round it doesn't mean theirs not a round chambered". IMO it's a lot safer to chamber a round and assume it's always hot.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmtbracer View Post
    Do you guys always have one in the chamber? I have two. Kids and wonder if I should unload it at home I pocket carry some timesand when I sit it may be pointing at someone I have it in a holster and when I sit I try to point it down. Should I worry about this kind of thing. What do you guys do?
    I always keep mine loaded in the chamber. My kids will NOT touch a gun, loaded or not, without telling me first. We've had many discussions about that. Besides, my one loaded gun is out of reach of the kids, except for my oldest one, who knows how and when to use it.

My kids know the rules of gun safety very well. I made sure.

My youngest's favorite is: keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I have two little kids at home as well. While I carried neutered with just a full mag for the first week or two, I went to carrying one in the chamber pretty quickly and would feel odd doing otherwise now. I don't feel I can count on having the time to chamber a round when I really need that firearm.

As for safety, the gun is always properly holstered when the kids are around. I only keep it out of the holster rarely and then its when I'm alone and its right next to me.

I always fire the chambered round as the first shot during range fire with the gun to avoid either over compressing the bullet in a previously chambered round or loosening the bullet from repeated ejection. Then I just add one more to the mag when I'm done.

Tom

I've only been CCing for a week and a half, and am still getting acclimated to having a loaded gun pointed at my leg and/or groin (appendix carry IWB). With a 5-shot S&W snub, only four rounds isn't going to cut it and I need to get over my initial wariness.

I leave the gun holstered at all times. When I need to take it out, the whole thing comes out holstered and all and stays that way until I put it back in again. But when I'm sitting down and the barrel is pointed directly at my femoral artery, I sometimes need to remind myself that a modern gun in a quality holster is not going to magically discharge!!!

Wow thanks for all the Info guys this helps. I also do plan on taking a class this week I am already signed up.

There are methods of carry that virtually eliminate the weapon pointing at any part of you.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I keep a full mag +1 in the chamber in my G26 (and another mag on my belt). The only time it is unloaded is for cleaning or going to the range. I think it is important to be consistent in this, so you do not have to guess or get used to some sort of pattern - so there is no confusion - quite simply I know, if I pick it up, it is always loaded and ready - no possibility to assume otherwise. It should be in a holster made for it and, when taken out, in the words of Clint Smith "Keep your stinking finger off the stinking trigger". It is important to be well-trained in one's handgun of choice and to feel confident that the firearm is not going to discharge unless you make it do so.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    There are methods of carry that virtually eliminate the weapon pointing at any part of you.
    I tend to wear fairly slim-fitting clothing, and when I've tried carrying at positions other than appendix, I seem to print very badly. 3-oclock is especially bad. I thought about going with a 5 o'clock, but I feel like I'll be constantly reaching back to see if I'm printing. When it's in front with appendix carry, I can just look down and check if I want to.

I need to do some more research to figure out what works best for me, but money is a bit tight and I'm trying to avoid the "box of holsters" that so many people end up with!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links