One in the chamber

This is a discussion on One in the chamber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by oakchas the time to rack is inconsequential, of course... but, the sound may not be... When it's time to fire, for me ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: One in the chamber

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    the time to rack is inconsequential, of course... but, the sound may not be...
    When it's time to fire, for me as a CCW holder, the scenario will be unambiguous, thus I'm unconcerned with sounds. The BG has already shown his cards by then.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    When it's time to fire, for me as a CCW holder, the scenario will be unambiguous, thus I'm unconcerned with sounds. The BG has already shown his cards by then.
    Agree 100%.

In the case of my co-worker's assault, the situation was somewhat ambiguous, until he was face to face with the thug. Racking, or press checking would have been done in the moments leading up to the actual confrontation. There was a whole lot going on behind the victim's back which raised his alarm up to that point... he even said to himself "This isn't good." as he heard the car slowing on the approach, and drew and openend his little folder.

While in this case, the sound of racking one may not have been heard or understood by the BG, I would prefer to have one already in the chamber and if I was concerned about the status of the weapon (whether one in chamber or not) a press check can be done quietly. That said, every time the weapon goes on my hip, I check, I know, there is one in the chamber, so there would be no need for a press check. The gun can be concealed, in your hand almost as well as the folding knife was, until the final moment of truth.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

In the case of my co-worker's assault, the situation was somewhat ambiguous, until he was face to face with the thug. Racking, or press checking would have been done in the moments leading up to the actual confrontation. There was a whole lot going on behind the victim's back which raised his alarm up to that point... he even said to himself "This isn't good." as he heard the car slowing on the approach, and drew and openend his little folder.
    If you carry C3, then your basic premise is that you can rack and present and draw as needed. So how does having MORE time make things problematic?

Not to mention that this kind of scenario is about as outlier as it gets. I prefer not to make technical choices based on scenarios that are several places beyond the decimal point. The trade-off of "ND reduction vs gunfighting wherewithal" should IMO be first based on the mainstream scenarios.

C3 is, in my opinion, riskier, more time consuming, and noisier. The time increment may be small and nearly inconsequential, but it exists. The risk is that the round won't chamber, the slide won't go to battery, and the time increment may be "just enough" to make your shot too late. the noise is counter to carrying concealed in the first place... in the case I illustrated, surprise, and definitive, immediate action would have changed the outcome (perhaps not positively, but more likely than what actually happened).

C1 is the prescribed method of carry for the 1911, and many other weapons. Prescribed mostly by those who have BTDT. While the Israelis carry C3, my guess is that they usually have more time to respond because of unfolding events occuring, or no time at all, because they were in the blast zone anyway.

I choose to carry C1. You and others may not. I am no "young gun," I need every advantage I can get, that being one of the reasons I carry in the first place.

As to the likelyhood of the scenario I presented actually occuring, it happened, trials are pending, the BGs got caught. My co-worker survived and is getting his permit. As to it being an outlier, odds of being the victim of violent crime are, nationwide, about 1 in 400, of those, I'm sure that the ones involving knives are not that different from the scenario presented... with the exception that there may actually be less time to react.
    Me, 9/11/13

C3 is, in my opinion, riskier, more time consuming, and noisier. The time increment may be small and nearly inconsequential, but it exists. The risk is that the round won't chamber, the slide won't go to battery, and the time increment may be "just enough" to make your shot too late. the noise is counter to carrying concealed in the first place...
    Again, "noise" is a non-factor in 99.999% of all DGUs. There is a small increase in time and risk, that's true, although that's usually a non-factor.

However, I submit the C1 vs C3 choice can not be resolved if gunfights are your only frame of reference. The small chance of being in a gunfight (much less a gunfight where chamber mode matters) has to be weighed against ND risks, the latter being an inseparable part of owning and carrying a firearm. Which risk you think is more telling for you personally can vary from person to person. C1 and C3 are both valid choices, depending on many factors.

Note that many, many other CCW choices -- carrying IWB at 4:30 rather than OWB at 3:00, etc -- also add a marginal amount of time and risk, yet no one gets indignant about those. Categorically, C3 is no different from any of the other trade-offs we make in the CCW arena.

Note that a lot of BTDT types select and have selected C3. C3 has been used successfully for many decades in many dangerous areas of the world. A lot of the hypothetical scenarios as to where and when C3 would fail are speculation, trumped by the empirical track record of success.

Note that a lot of BTDT types select and have selected C3. C3 has been used successfully for many decades in many dangerous areas of the world. A lot of the hypothetical scenarios as to where and when C3 would fail are speculation, trumped by the empirical track record of success.
    The converse also being true (C1 over C3). Your argument for C3 has merit, as do all the nuances of CC. So, the point is moot, and at the discretion of the carrier.... I choose C1, you choose C3, I say potato, you say potahto. From both, we get equal sustenance.
    Me, 9/11/13

I always carry with one chambered when in the holster. When the gun is in my safe I keep it the same, holstered with one in the chamber, so when I reach into my small safe i wont accidentally press any trigger. I don't think the holster will hinder me shooting Mr. Bad Guy if the time comes, probably less than racking the slide.

If its in a holster you should be fine. I keep a gun on me at home at all times too. Got two little ones running around. Mine is in a smart carry. The trigger is covered so I don't feel it will go off unless I make it so.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Same here. If my pistol is not in contact with me, it's un-chambered and/or locked up.
    Fixed it for my line of thinking.....Always loaded...

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links