Safely chamber a round, and "safe" a firearm

This is a discussion on Safely chamber a round, and "safe" a firearm within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been reading about the remington accidental discharge problem, I have heard of other weapons having similiar problems with stuck firing pins firing multiple ...

Thread: Safely chamber a round, and "safe" a firearm

Safely chamber a round, and "safe" a firearm

I have been reading about the remington accidental discharge problem, I have heard of other weapons having similiar problems with stuck firing pins firing multiple rounds. I have up to 5 kids in my house and loading my guns is usually done in the bedroom of a 2 story house, and I usually aim the gun at the bed when chambering a round. If a round were to go through the floor, or a wall it could be devestating.

I would like to have a can of some sort full of sand or some other media to stop the bullet should there be an AD. What do others use? Has anyone else found something like this?

TIA

2. Remove Ads

There are commercially made "clearing station" units available from places like Galls, but they are expensive. A five gallon bucket from Home Depot filled with sand would probably be adequate for typical pistol rounds.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Or a stack of old magazines.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

It could be as simple as a 5 gal. pail filled with sand. Even most rifle bullets will only penetrate 4-6".

My safe load/unload 'target' is a stack of magazines near the bed, and a stack of old phone books next to the bench in the garage.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

At my house I have three solutions toward this:

* Earth just outside my patio door
    Most commonly this is where I go to load and unload, to make 'Hot' (Condition 1) or 'Cold' (emptied).

* Safe Direction brand 'Ballistic Pad' gun bag
    I use this when teaching new shooter basic courses. As well I regularly use it as a transport bag for my bullseye setup .22 (it's lockable).
    http://www.safedirection.com/ballisticcontainment.html
    http://www.policemag.com/Videos/Chan...ing-Safer.aspx [Video of product being fired upon]

* A bucket of sand or some other high density media [Some say kitty litter works too but I'm not advising that]
    My town PD follow this method at their internal _mandatory_ weekly duty firearm maintenance station.
    They have a large 50 gal plastic drum setup that has been filled approx 80% with coarse grain sand (Like what you would expect to see at most any ocean border beach...Not the super fine stuff you see at childrens playgrounds).
    This drum is set at an angle (approx. 30 degrees of center) inside of a large and immovable wooden 2x4 constructed base and support frame. At the back side of the drum is a steel plate of some depth...I'd guess it to be 1/2 inch but I did not ask about it specifically as it really is superfluous.
    This assembly will support most any length longgun as well as very easily handguns. Just stick the barrel into the barrel and touch the trigger.

At my own home I have long had it simplified to just a 5 gallon/paint bucket filled to ~ 90% with again coarse grain sand (Home Depot has this by the bag for cheap). Place that on to either earth outside or a concrete floor pad such as in your basement or garage. Project completed.
    Any discharge made into that sand will retard and stop the projectile(s) within inches. You of course still have the issue of the report...But the projectile itself is stopped.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    I use two of the above. The sand bucket is good but not very decorative in the bedroom where many folks load/unload. I have a bookshelf along one wall set so that by standing next to the wall I can point my gun toward the narrow end of the shelf. Thereby giving any offending discharge approximately four feet of densely packed paper and wood to spend its energy upon.

I should say that I usually just use a bucket of sand in the walk-in closet. It would be loud, but not fatal. And I don't have listen to my interior decorator about the bucket in the bedroom.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    No more often than I have to do that, it is always outdoors. Years ago we had a barrel about 2 feet long, sitting on an angle and filled with sand for clearing weapons. The barrel had a lid with a 6 inch hole in the middle and the sand was about 6 inches below the lid.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Most beds won't stop a bullet (a waterbed will, once...) Books and magazines tightly packed will stop about anything. I use strategically placed bookshelves to protect my kid's rooms in my split plan house. You can also find old panels of body armor at various places online for cheap. A panel of II-A will stop most SD rounds from a handgun and can be had for around $20.

Many years ago a wealthy customer had us order him a "bomb blanket". A huge panel of like III rated kevlar that he installed in the walls of his nursery after he found out his wife was pregnant. Spent a few thousand on that.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Since I do my unloading upstairs, I just point it in a direction not pointing toward next door neighbors or downward since there is no one present dowstairs.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by nlghthawk View Post
    I have been reading about the remington accidental discharge problem, I have heard of other weapons having similiar problems with stuck firing pins firing multiple rounds. I have up to 5 kids in my house and loading my guns is usually done in the bedroom of a 2 story house, and I usually aim the gun at the bed when chambering a round. If a round were to go through the floor, or a wall it could be devestating.

I would like to have a can of some sort full of sand or some other media to stop the bullet should there be an AD. What do others use? Has anyone else found something like this?

TIA
    Get an orange 5 gallon bucket at home depot, 2 bags of play sand, put sand in,put bucket in corner of garage directly opposed to house, good luck.
    Gato

I'd get some dummy rounds to practice the routine several times.
    Go with the glow

Links