A Bad Encounter and Screw up!!!

This is a discussion on A Bad Encounter and Screw up!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We'll here it goes, I am hoping someone has some feedback to relieve my stress...... About Six months ago, I went on a typicall fishing ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

We'll here it goes, I am hoping someone has some feedback to relieve my stress......

About Six months ago, I went on a typicall fishing trip to a hunting cabin with the boys. When I returned, I could not find my Benchmade 3.5 inche folder. Thought for sure it was left at the cabin and I was hoping to find it when I returned for bow season in September........

Last week, I was on buisness trip for work, arrived in ohio, did my duty and was heading through TSA security on my return home and bam, "Is this your bag Sir, Yup, please go again and search....Sure enough, as the screener was going through my bag, there was my trusty folder, busted... The knife worked is way under the floor of the bag. Ugh!! Both my wife and I both checked the bag many times for other trips as well. Never knew it was there....

I was very appologetic and stated this was a complete mistake on my part. I was given to Ohio's finest, where I sat for almost an hour. Never handcuffed or searched, but, was given my rights before being asked to fill out a statement. I declined, requesting a lawyer before doing so. I was released and made my flight. As of now, this is all I know.....

Everyone involved including the officer was very casual and basically acted as though this happens all the time. I have always respected and appreciated LEO's and this is the first time I was on the "other" side of things.

After researching the TSA web site, I found that this happens every 17 minutes and I could expect a letter from TSA, issuing me a civil fine. I am praying this is all. I have never been in any type of trouble and hope that this won't effect my Virginia CHP. I have not hired an attourney yet, simply because I do not even know if I am charged with anthing. I have locked my sidearm away until I have some sence as to were I stand....

To all, please be careful. Simply mistakes such as this result in bad things happening. I'll keep everyone posted, and if you have any similiar experiences, please let me know.....
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

Well, I, for one, feel safer knowing that your terrorist plot was foiled.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have locked my sidearm away until I have some since as to were I stand....
    IMHO no need for that since you stand the same place you did before the trip unless and until you are notified of charges ( if any ) . If you have not been served with any charges of any type your ccw rights are not affected at this point .

Check with an Attny to verify what I posted but I am reasonably certain that I have my facts right .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I wouldn't worry about it. I can't see any reason to considered yourself "charged" without having been notified that you if you have been charged with anything. Additionally, a civil fine is not a criminal matter and does not involve "charges" but rather a claim of sorts where you can either pay it or contest it in civil court. (Most speeding tickets are civil actions of this sort rather than criminal actions. Thats why they only have to prove it "more likely than not" that you did it rather than the criminal standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt").

My wife did the same thing on our way to our honeymoon, but since it was a real small CRKT blade, we didn't even have to fill out an incident report. Like you say, this happens all the time and I highly doubt that you will ever hear anything more about it, unless the LEO's on scene told you to expect to. As the 3rd sentance of the TSA's "Information for Travelers on Prohibited Items" says itself:

TSA does not impose fines on the vast number of passengers who inadvertently carry prohibited items.
    Here is a link to the document.

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlib..._7-15-2004.pdf

I really wouldn't worry about it.

All the best,

Joe
    Last edited by Fargo; July 5th, 2006 at 12:00 PM.

Assistant Administrator
    So so easy to happen. I doubt you will suffer much more than a rap on the knuckles in effect. And if knife was busted too ......

I doubt I could ever drive across border into Mexico because somewhere under my truck seat rail is a 357 round - dropped long ago when reloading after crossing back into friendly territory after a trip. Cannot reach it to remove - well not easily.

I discovered with horror on a flight earlier this year that my carry-on bag (which has seen range bag duty) contained one solitary .22lr round in a side pocket - and I too thought I had checked it empty thoroughly. I was idly fishing in there for some gum and found the sucker.

I was in the queue to go thru scanning and so just held my breath - and heavens be praised it was not seen. I disposed of it safely later.

I can imagine how you felt tho - probably like being a wanted fugitive!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    The real question is are you going on "the list"?
    If you do, flying is going to be a real pain.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Anymore, I would rather drive 3 days than fly. Flying is such a hassle.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

Yes, Kansas, major hassle. Now that I will probably be on the dreaded list, I am sure it will be worse as AirForceShooter states. Thanks Fargo for the link....
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

RjVA

Did you go back to claim the knife? Did TSA keep the knife or the LE officer? In many of these situations the TSA employee simply gets a new knife. Since you filled out paperwork there is proof that somebody has your knife. You should not have a problem getting your property back. Learn your rights and use them.

I personally think every passenger should be required to carry a knife. I bet if a terrorist knows everyone on the airplane has a blade he would keep his box cutter in his pocket and his mouth shut.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

I did not Brian. The officer did seem to like my $165 folder? He was trying it out in his front pocket. To be perfectly honest, I would hope the darn things disappears with the LEO.. I was not informed that it was confiscated, nor did I ask. Keep in mind, I was given my boarding pass , 10 minutes before the flight took off.....
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

Get your knife, it's yours and you made a simple honest mistake. DO NOT let a LEO or some other TSA employee take your property just because it wedged under the floor of your bag. Make a point to get the knife back, it is not right that anyone keep it in this situation.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Administrator
    Just my gut feeling...you should be just fine.
    I would not sweat it...you were perfectly honest.
    After it's all over you might want to make a few phone calls and make sure nothing is permanent (record wise)
    Honest Boo~Boo.
    Hey...stuff happens. It's a part of life. We all can't be perfect all the time.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Unfortunately, "A simple mystake" does not cut it. I am responsible for being ignorant as to what was in my bag. Hey, if a piece of evidence would disappear, that could only help me if things go bad.. Ti, I understand your point, but, I was truly in the wrong here...
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

Quote Originally Posted by RjVA
    Unfortunately, "A simple mystake" does not cut it. I am responsible for being ignorant as to what was in my bag. Hey, if a piece of evidence would disappear, that could only help me if things go bad.. Ti, I understand your point, but, I was truly in the wrong here...
    Yes, but honestly in the wrong, there is a difference.

My girlfriend is a flight attendent and passes through TSA security 4 or 5 times a day, she see's things like this all the time with people that didn't know it was in there bag and or didn't know it was illegal to bring it on such as a simple pair of nose sizzors. She said with things like this they do check them out ofcouse but before releasing them they give them an envelope, postage paid by the passenger to send it to themselves.

She didn't know about the fines and or if they enforced them or not. She did say if it has been 6 months now or better and you were not charged your are good to go.

Start packing again also, this is not that big of a deal. The big deal would be if found on a plane with it.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Like Mzmtg, I now feel a LOT safer knowing that you weren't in the air with that knife.

And, like everyone else here says, I wouldn't sweat it.

If you'd been on Flight 93 with your carry piece, or had any of us been on any of the doomed 9/11 flights, armed as we SHOULD have the right to be, that day would have turned out a bit differently.

And there would't BE any friggin' TSA.

Off-topic. Sorry. I rant sometimes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links