Have you used a gun for self defense? - Page 2

Have you used a gun for self defense?

This is a discussion on Have you used a gun for self defense? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've only had my carry permit for about 10 months and I've never had to draw. I've had a few times where I was glad ...

View Poll Results: Have you used your gun in self defense?

Voters
431. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never used my gun in self defense

312 72.39%
  • I told someone I had a gun in self defense

8 1.86%
  • I have shown someone I had a gun in self defense

25 5.80%
  • I drew my gun in self defense

90 20.88%
  • I fired a warning shot in self defense

7 1.62%
  • I fired at someone in self defense

8 1.86%
  • I shot someone in self defense

10 2.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Have you used a gun for self defense?

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I've only had my carry permit for about 10 months and I've never had to draw. I've had a few times where I was glad I was armed but that was it. I pray I never have to.

Glockman10mm, you said your dogs didn't greet you. The bad guys didn't kill them did they?

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I've only had my carry permit for about 10 months and I've never had to draw. I've had a few times where I was glad I was armed but that was it. I pray I never have to.

Glockman10mm, you said your dogs didn't greet you. The bad guys didn't kill them did they?
    No. Apparently they opened the gate and went in when the dogs left the yard. They came back while the deputies were there. Also, I forgot to mention , I got in a little trouble for having my shotgun in my truck on base , which came out because NIS had to get involved since I was military.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    No. Apparently they opened the gate and went in when the dogs left the yard. They came back while the deputies were there. Also, I forgot to mention , I got in a little trouble for having my shotgun in my truck on base , which came out because NIS had to get involved since I was military.
    Perhaps it was really just inside your house in a closet that you retrieved upon entry and not in your truck. I think you got confused with all of the stress and emotion. Too late now, though.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Yea BugDude, for awhile it was a messed up deal. Both NIS, local police, were working together with the prosecutor, and my command CO and base general was involved. Roughly 2 months later the reached an agreement to not charge me, but then there was the threat of civil litigation which did raise it's head but never progressed for some sort of technical reasons I didn't understand.
    When it was all over, I recieved a page 11 entry in my SRB, and was made to pull Duty NCO at the barracks for two weekends. As I signed my pg 11, my Bn Commander jokingly made the comment that I could stop shooting people now, the war was over. I was extremly lucky I didn't get into more trouble or charged with something.
    Because of that, I now carry my own liability insurance policy, and have enough life insurance to see the Mrs. a comfortable life should I go down.
    Make no mistake about it, the nightmare begins when the investigation starts.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Yea BugDude, for awhile it was a messed up deal. Both NIS, local police, were working together with the prosecutor, and my command CO and base general was involved. Roughly 2 months later the reached an agreement to not charge me, but then there was the threat of civil litigation which did raise it's head but never progressed for some sort of technical reasons I didn't understand.
    When it was all over, I recieved a page 11 entry in my SRB, and was made to pull Duty NCO at the barracks for two weekends. As I signed my pg 11, my Bn Commander jokingly made the comment that I could stop shooting people now, the war was over. I was extremly lucky I didn't get into more trouble or charged with something.
    Because of that, I now carry my own liability insurance policy, and have enough life insurance to see the Mrs. a comfortable life should I go down.
    Make no mistake about it, the nightmare begins when the investigation starts.
    Glad it worked out ok...you seem like a heck of a guy. It would be a shame for you to be the one to get into crap because those guys broke into your house. Thanks for posting about your experience. This is a good reminder to folks of why it should really be an absolute last resort. After the fact, the crackpot lawyers can play monday morning quarterback and use 20/20 hindsight without the quick timeframe and stress involved. They will disect a situation and play what if all day long. When a person is in a situation and pulls a trigger, you're right...that's when the crap hits the fan in more ways than one. A lawyer friend of mine told me that in even a justified self-defense situation, it would probably cost about $35K in legal fees if you had to use your weapon. That's just for legal advice during an investigation and dealing with civil suits...and that's if it was found to be justified and you actually prevailed.

I grew up in NC and lived in Central Kentucky for a little bit before moving to VA. I was in Lebanon, KY (Marion County) there. Kentucky is a beautiful state and I was fortunate to get to see most of it while I was there.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

BugDude it's a small world! I was in Marion County alot when I started out my LE career.
    I know you had to enjoy the Ham Days festival with breakfast of ham, eggs, biscuts and gravy, grits, fried apples on hot butter soaked biscuits!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Never used; hopefully never will be used. But I have been on the receiving end many many years ago. BG used one to save himself from a well-deserved whuppin' (he drew first blood).

County cop once told me: people think that if you shoot someone "outside" the house that you should drag their dead butt inside, but in reality, you should drag them inside and back out, making it appear as if they crawled out.
    Of course, that was in the days before CSIs could tell what way the wind was blowing as the blood drop fell from exactly what height, etc.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Glockman,

Thanks for tellin your story. Even in home defense scenarios, we have to be careful to remain within the law... As you said, you were lucky because of the distaste of the prosecutor and judge for the perps.

I showed my weapon once... and forgot to add to the poll, I told someone I had a gun once (intruder in the house).
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

yeesh Glockman, sounds messy. glad you were acquitted.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Never had to draw or shoot anyone yet, and hope I never have to. But I am prepared in case I do and so is my wife.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I have carried a weapon for years although I have only CC'ed for about a year now.
    Never had an incident of any kind, Thank God.
    Did have someone pull a gun & shoot at me when I was a kid. Held me & my buddy at gun point for playing in a house under construction. We were 10.
    Just about crapped my pants.
    Freedom.... The Price Keeps Going Up, and the Quality Keeps Going Down.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    When I was a teen, living in Chicago, I had a Mil. Colt .45 1911 that my brother sent home from Korea. I happened to be home sick that day. I was upstairs in bed when I heard a loud banging at the back porch door. I grabbed the 1911 and went to the back door in time to see a raggedy looking guy trying to jimmy the lock on the porch screen door. I said, "hey, quit trying to break down the door and go away." He started yelling at me to let him in and yanked repeatedly at the door which was only a wooden screened affair. I pulled that 1911 out from inside my robe and pointed it at his head. All I saw were 2 eyes the size of dinner plates and then his heels as he jumped the fence and took off down the street. We lived a short block from the el station and often times bums and no goods from bad neighborhoods would fall asleep on the el train and get off at the end of the line and roam around looking for mischief. I have thought about that moment many times and I am sure if he'd have pulled a few more times, he'd have been in the house.(at least on the enclosed porch)..and he'd have been shot dead. I hope he thought about it for the rest of his life.

Because of some very unwise choices made in my life,getting involved with gangs and drugs,i have been in 4 situations,2 of which i shot someone.

The worst was a few years ago,back when i had my G21.Gunfight on a beach,got a few buckshot in my left wrist.The outcome was regrettable.Then i had a drunk robbed me at gunpoint.I gave him my wallet and shot him in the (ass) cheek when he turned around.

Couple more cases.I hadnt turned 21 yet,so no permit.Walked in my house and 3 teens,one i knew and has been in my house before.Anyway,the 3 were inside and jumped me.One with a bat.I ended up with a broke leg.I have related my turbo story on here before.

Amazing how smart they suddenly get when looking down the wrong end of a barrel.

I've drawn, shown a weapon, and chambered it in a self defense situation. Sitting at a stoplight, on vacation, late at night, in west Kansas City Kansas, many years ago, I was fairly new to my 1911 and not comfortable with a round in the chamber at that time. A few men walked in front of my car and stopped, quick glance saw others approaching from the sides and a couple in the rear view mirror. Round into chamber with dome light on, everyone stopped in their tracks, the ones in front moved out of the way, and I hit the gas pedal to the floor. Ye Gads that's a long time ago, way before CC, about 15 years or so. Heck, the gun had been in the trunk, I was a bit lost at the time, and when I noticed what kind of neighborhood I was in I pulled into a police parking lot to retrieve it, less than ten blocks prior to the encounter. Remember, when that little voice speaks and the hairs on your neck stand up, take notice, it may save your tail.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links