Have you used a gun for self defense?

This is a discussion on Have you used a gun for self defense? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by timt020 Once with a dog, But it stoped as soon as I drew my 1911. This dog obviously knew his firearms....

View Poll Results: Have you used your gun in self defense?

Voters
431. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never used my gun in self defense

312 72.39%
  • I told someone I had a gun in self defense

8 1.86%
  • I have shown someone I had a gun in self defense

25 5.80%
  • I drew my gun in self defense

90 20.88%
  • I fired a warning shot in self defense

7 1.62%
  • I fired at someone in self defense

8 1.86%
  • I shot someone in self defense

10 2.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Have you used a gun for self defense?

Quote Originally Posted by timt020 View Post
    Once with a dog, But it stoped as soon as I drew my 1911.
    This dog obviously knew his firearms.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Never have and hope I never will. However there were 2 instances that happened before I was old enough to CC that had I been armed at the time, I definitely would have drawn & fired.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    So far in the 15 years I have been carrying I have never had to use my gun. I pray I never am forced to.
    DITTO

Kev
    <><

Hand on grip, never cleared leather. At my place of business. (jewelry store) Only once!
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

I've never drawn but been in a situation a few times where I was more than happy to be armed. Once I was waiting to get a haircut when a scraggly guy walked into the store. He started asking all kinds of questions in a suggestive mannor. The tension in the room grew at a rapid pace and all 4 of us already in there had become all but silent. He seemed like he may have been drunk or under the influence of something. It took him about 5 minutes, maybe less, to leave but the whole experience felt like an eternity. After he had left the girl about to cut my hair, being good friends, asked if I happened to be carrying. When I told her I in fact was, she was more than happy. Especially for being someone who isn't much for guns.

I've always told people, "I'd rather have my gun and never need it than need a gun and never have one."

A long time ago, I went out with a girl once and we hit it off pretty well. The next evening she shows up at my house with bruises on her neck. Her ex-boyfriend had raped and strangled her that day, and vowed to return that night to finish the job. She went to the police, but they weren't interested. She was petrified. I was an avid and proficient shooter and offered to sleep on her couch because her dad was older and no match for the thug in question. When the thug tried to break into their house that night and she screamed, I awoke from a dead sleep with my .357 in my hand at the ready. To this day I don't remember consciously drawing it. I was fully ready to shoot him w/o hesitation if he advanced, but thankfully God had other plans. Looking down the barrel of a large .357 showed the moron for the coward that he was. The perp retreated at light speed and never came around again. He was HUGE and I'm not. W/o my powerful buddy, probably no one in the house that night would have survived. God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal.

I pray that I never have to shoot anyone, but that incident taught me all I needed to know about training, readiness, and willingness.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    This dog obviously knew his firearms.
    Not trying to threadjack, but some animals I've had seem to have a sixth sense about firearms. My parents had a small terrier that would start shaking at the sight of any gun, even a toy one. Even my cat will bolt from the room whenever I handle a gun- Oddly enough, she's not alarmed whenever I'm handling a knife- something she would automatically know is dangerous just by the sight of it.

To my knowledge, neither animal has been present during a shooting.
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boreal21 View Post
    Never have and hope I never will. However there were 2 instances that happened before I was old enough to CC that had I been armed at the time, I definitely would have drawn & fired.

Better change that attitude. You can O-N-L-Y shoot in self defense. If TWICE you would have fired, but you are still here means it WAS NOT JUSTIFIED.

I was a juror on a murder trial where a guy THOUGHT he had a right to shoot but he didn't. He got 10 years in Ohio State Pen.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Better change that attitude. You can O-N-L-Y shoot in self defense. If TWICE you would have fired, but you are still here means it WAS NOT JUSTIFIED.

I was a juror on a murder trial where a guy THOUGHT he had a right to shoot but he didn't. He got 10 years in Ohio State Pen.
    So let me get this straight; I have to wait until I'm dead before I'm justified in shooting?!?!?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by TBob View Post
    A long time ago, I went out with a girl once and we hit it off pretty well. The next evening she shows up at my house with bruises on her neck. Her ex-boyfriend had raped and strangled her that day, and vowed to return that night to finish the job. She went to the police, but they weren't interested. She was petrified. I was an avid and proficient shooter and offered to sleep on her couch because her dad was older and no match for the thug in question. When the thug tried to break into their house that night and she screamed, I awoke from a dead sleep with my .357 in my hand at the ready. To this day I don't remember consciously drawing it. I was fully ready to shoot him w/o hesitation if he advanced, but thankfully God had other plans. Looking down the barrel of a large .357 showed the moron for the coward that he was. The perp retreated at light speed and never came around again. He was HUGE and I'm not. W/o my powerful buddy, probably no one in the house that night would have survived. God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal.

I pray that I never have to shoot anyone, but that incident taught me all I needed to know about training, readiness, and willingness.
    Why hadn't the police picked him up already?

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    So let me get this straight; I have to wait until I'm dead before I'm justified in shooting?!?!?!?!?!?
    I agree with this. Somebody charges me with a knife... I draw and fire and it's be justified... In another dimension, haha, he may have charged me and it was a bluff all along, just to try to scare me... how was I supposed to know? Like F350 said... wait until I'm dead? (This was just an example, not a true story)

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Gotta agree with F350 on this one.

Both times I was at the business end of a revolver held by very irate, drunk individuals. One of them pointed it at my head and pulled the trigger.... twice. It was dark, but he was close and in the limited light it REALLY looked to me like the gun was loaded. I didn't stick around to see if the 3rd time was the charm. I firmly believe The Man Upstairs protected me that night when I wasn't in a position to protect myself.

Call it unjustified if you want. I beg to differ.

I've drawn my weapon twice, put my hand on it a couple of times and deliberately but subtly moved from cc to oc several other times in situations where I felt my family was being eyeballed as possible potential targets by shady individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Why hadn't the police picked him up already?
    Honestly don't know for sure. The two had lived together for a few years before she left him because of domestic violence. Maybe the cops wrote it off as a lover's spat despite their breakup, but the bruising was very significant and obviously from strangulation. The cops didn't show any real interest in the case at all. No follow-up, no rape kit, nothing. I'm still disgusted whenever I think back on it, which wasn't for years until I saw this thread.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

I only voted once, but I have drawn my pistol twice, never had to shoot though.

First time was when I was going home from Kansas to Nevada after Christmas with my parents in Kansas. I was on I-70 in eastern Colorado. Nothing around. Threatening snow storm, no cars anywhere, middle of the afternoon. I couldn't believe how deserted the highway was. I was starting to think they had closed the road and I was the last car to get the message. About that time, I noticed a pickup truck coming up fast on my 6. It had one of those beat up bridge-plank front bumpers that had obviously been used a lot. Keep in mind, this was the time when a lot of bump-and-rob scams were going on on the highway. I was driving a Jeep Cherokee with the vertical back window, and had my stuff in the back of the rig. There were two in the truck, and they got right up close on my back bumper and I could tell they were checking out what was in the back. They backed off about a quarter mile, and I could see them talking. They came up for a second run and looked some more, then backed off again. Never made any attempt to pass, even though we were on an Interstate highway with no traffic. When they started their third run, they were coming up much faster, and I figured this would be the bump part of the bump-and-rob, so I reached over to the passenger seat and picked up my Sig P220. I held it up so they could see it through the back window, but was careful not to point it at them. I let go of the steering wheel long enough to rack the slide so they could see I was serious. I figured "If they want to play, lets see how badly they want it". When they saw me rack the slide, the driver hit the brakes so hard, the front bumper almost kissed the pavement. They backed off about a mile and took the next exit and I never saw them again.

Second time was several years later. New wife and I were camping off season at the end of a camping loop in Great Basin National Park. Since it was off season, we were the only ones around for miles, or so we thought. About midnight that night, the dog in our tent with us started going ballistic. We finally got her calmed down, and laid still for awhile listening. After a few minutes, we heard footsteps in the gravel outside the tent. I figured if it was an animal, it would have taken off when the dog started barking. I could tell whoever was out there was trying awfully hard to be stealthy. I picked up our pistol, racked the slide purposely making a lot of noise doing it, and at that point the footsteps took off running away from the tent. I didn't bother going out to investigate because the dog settled right down and didn't seem worried about anything, but I slept very lightly the rest of the night. The next morning our dog got some extra treats for breakfast.

I know I broke some laws doing what I did, transporting loaded guns across state lines, having a weapon in a national park (this was years ago before the new law) to name a few, but I hate to think of the consequences had I not been prepared in either case.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links