Have you used a gun for self defense? - Page 5

Have you used a gun for self defense?

This is a discussion on Have you used a gun for self defense? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by radshooter I only voted once, but I have drawn my pistol twice, never had to shoot though. First time was when I ...

View Poll Results: Have you used your gun in self defense?

Voters
431. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never used my gun in self defense

312 72.39%
  • I told someone I had a gun in self defense

8 1.86%
  • I have shown someone I had a gun in self defense

25 5.80%
  • I drew my gun in self defense

90 20.88%
  • I fired a warning shot in self defense

7 1.62%
  • I fired at someone in self defense

8 1.86%
  • I shot someone in self defense

10 2.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Have you used a gun for self defense?

Quote Originally Posted by radshooter View Post
    I only voted once, but I have drawn my pistol twice, never had to shoot though.

First time was when I was going home from Kansas to Nevada after Christmas with my parents in Kansas. I was on I-70 in eastern Colorado. Nothing around. Threatening snow storm, no cars anywhere, middle of the afternoon. I couldn't believe how deserted the highway was. I was starting to think they had closed the road and I was the last car to get the message. About that time, I noticed a pickup truck coming up fast on my 6. It had one of those beat up bridge-plank front bumpers that had obviously been used a lot. Keep in mind, this was the time when a lot of bump-and-rob scams were going on on the highway. I was driving a Jeep Cherokee with the vertical back window, and had my stuff in the back of the rig. There were two in the truck, and they got right up close on my back bumper and I could tell they were checking out what was in the back. They backed off about a quarter mile, and I could see them talking. They came up for a second run and looked some more, then backed off again. Never made any attempt to pass, even though we were on an Interstate highway with no traffic. When they started their third run, they were coming up much faster, and I figured this would be the bump part of the bump-and-rob, so I reached over to the passenger seat and picked up my Sig P220. I held it up so they could see it through the back window, but was careful not to point it at them. I let go of the steering wheel long enough to rack the slide so they could see I was serious. I figured "If they want to play, lets see how badly they want it". When they saw me rack the slide, the driver hit the brakes so hard, the front bumper almost kissed the pavement. They backed off about a mile and took the next exit and I never saw them again.

Second time was several years later. New wife and I were camping off season at the end of a camping loop in Great Basin National Park. Since it was off season, we were the only ones around for miles, or so we thought. About midnight that night, the dog in our tent with us started going ballistic. We finally got her calmed down, and laid still for awhile listening. After a few minutes, we heard footsteps in the gravel outside the tent. I figured if it was an animal, it would have taken off when the dog started barking. I could tell whoever was out there was trying awfully hard to be stealthy. I picked up our pistol, racked the slide purposely making a lot of noise doing it, and at that point the footsteps took off running away from the tent. I didn't bother going out to investigate because the dog settled right down and didn't seem worried about anything, but I slept very lightly the rest of the night. The next morning our dog got some extra treats for breakfast.

I know I broke some laws doing what I did, transporting loaded guns across state lines, having a weapon in a national park (this was years ago before the new law) to name a few, but I hate to think of the consequences had I not been prepared in either case.

I say great job on both accounts!

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    No I have never shot anyone or have I put my hand on my gun. But I train as if I will tomorrow.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

I'm not sure how this would register on your poll, but the closest I've come to having to use my firearm was when two 20 ish males backed into my front yard, got out of their car and started walking up to my house late one night.

I had my M&P 9mm out , and was mentally prepared to use it
    My dogs started barking and the BGs decided to get back in their car and leave.

Turned out better for everyone that way...

I only had to draw my weapon once. When I was serving papers. I served an order of protection to someone and they tried to enter my vehicle while screaming. "I'm going to **cking kill you". Attitude was changed and a "not fair" face came on when my pistol leveled at the car door. The offender put his hands to his head and I ordered him to the ground. I called 911 and the pd showed up and took the report. I was not charged but was warned by the police that in other areas of the state I could have been arrested. I hope I never have to use the gun in self defense.
    IAFF 2623
    Everyone comes home!

I responded "I drew my gun in self defense," but it was not as a private citizen.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

I was pumping gas one day with the wife and my eldery mother in the car. There were a group of latinos across the station running numerous cars and trucks through on the same card swipe. I'm guessing it was a stolen/fake card and they were pulling all they could off it. One of the males kept looking over at me, glaring, looking me up and down, etc. He said something to one of the other males, laughed a bit, stuck his hand behind his back and starting walking towards me, my wife and my mother. I calmly took my cover shirt off, exposing my 1911, spare mags, fixed blade knife, flashlight...all my EDC gear. He stopped in his tracks, turned abit pale, moved his hand out from behind his back and jogged back to his group. I called local LEOs, but left before anyone showed up.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Nightsponge, Post number 30,

My husband told me about this one. Same thing happened to me....in Kansas City Kansas. I lived there and was returning from my mother's house late at night. I had worked as a fire department paramedic for 15 years there. This was on the east side of town. I was stopped for a red light at 7th and Kansas Avenue and a car load of teens pulled up next to me. They started getting out. I wasn't sure if my auto had one chambered or not....So I checked....so they could see. They jumped back into their car and sped away. I went home. That town was and I am sure still is known for such attacks. This happened in 1990.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I've had two incidents where I've been pushed...The first was late 70's, I'd just gotten off shift at the plant and was driving to do a few errands. As I drove up the inside lane of a 4 lane road. A young fellow in his early 20's came roaring up behind me and started tailgating. As I was doing a tad over the limit anyway and the lane beside me was open I continued on my way doing the same speed. Well, that wasn't good enough so he inched closer and closer to my rear bumper...have I mentioned that I've got this real bad pet peeve regarding tailgating? Well, I really do, so I popped my brakelights at him when he was real close...I just popped the pedal, didn't really even slow down at all but man, that really got his dander up...So, he pulls into the lane next to me and starts swerving his car at mine trying to force me into the oncoming traffic. As this was way before it became legal to carry concealed...I was doing something not legal...I had a S&W 9mm with me...I pulled the gun out of it's hiding place and just held it up for the idiot to see...didn't point it at him or anything, but it got the desired effect. He slammed on his brakes and pulled a U-turn and sped off the opposite direction. If I'd had to fire, I realize that I'd been in bad trouble...but, I would have been alive.

Last time was about 10 years ago. My wife and I had gotten home late from a party. She was worn out so she went to bed...our master bedroom faced the street and was just over the top of our garage. I wasn't ready to retire so I went to a bedroom on the other side of the hall, on the backside of the house...I was going to play some online computer games. So, I had my headset on so I wouldn't make too much noise and wake my wife. Well, about an hour after we'd gotten home, my wife comes into my computer room and says there's someone in our driveway screaming bloody murder. I went and looked out the window, and sure enough someone is standing in our driveway screaming loud enough to wake the dead. So, I take my trusty 1911 and my compact flashlight...which is extremely bright and I slowly and as quietly as I can slip out the front door and down the stairs to the edge of our garage to see what's up? There is a kid...around 20 years old standing there screaming and swearing his head off. So, I hit him with the beam from my flashlight and state...what in the hell is going on? The kid turns towards me and the swearing gets worse...along with him threatening to come kick my ass if I didn't get that light out of his eyes. Then I hear a woman's voice from two houses down the block. Screaming at this kid to not talk to the neighbors like that?....What? I quickly flash my light towards the voice and then I realize what's happening. The kid has had an argument with his girlfriend. His mom is standing there with the girlfriend consoling her while her son is up the street at my house screaming. I quickly flip my light back to the kid...still screaming and I tell him to shut up and get off my property. At this point he starts taking steps towards me...I yell at him to stop, but he keeps coming. At that point I pull my 1911 out of my waistband and I shine the light on my waistband as I pull the gun out. I don't aim it or anything, I just pull it out. The kid stops dead in his tracks, I tell him again to get his butt back across the street before he bites off more than he can chew. His mom is screaming at him, along with his girl and he finally starts to run for his own house. Screaming the whole way over that he's going to get his gun and come back and shoot me. My darling wife had already called the police and they showed up probably 10 minutes later. I told the officers what had happened and that I'd ordered him off my property and then I told them that the little punk had threatened to shoot me, and that I was going to take that threat seriously. So, if they wanted to prevent the kid from being shot later they'd better go and explain how the kid had made a threat which I took seriously and I'd protect myself if I saw him anywhere around my property again. Long story short, the police were over at that house for several hours. I never saw that kid around after that. I'm not totally sure, but the police later told me they found a little grass on him and he'd been drinking...so, I don't know if he was hauled away for a while or not, just that I never saw him again...and I never asked about him.

Quote Originally Posted by gonkrzy View Post
    I've had two incidents where I've been pushed...The first was late 70's, I'd just gotten off shift at the plant and was driving to do a few errands. As I drove up the inside lane of a 4 lane road. A young fellow in his early 20's came roaring up behind me and started tailgating. As I was doing a tad over the limit anyway and the lane beside me was open I continued on my way doing the same speed. Well, that wasn't good enough so he inched closer and closer to my rear bumper...have I mentioned that I've got this real bad pet peeve regarding tailgating? Well, I really do, so I popped my brakelights at him when he was real close...I just popped the pedal, didn't really even slow down at all but man, that really got his dander up...So, he pulls into the lane next to me and starts swerving his car at mine trying to force me into the oncoming traffic. As this was way before it became legal to carry concealed...I was doing something not legal...I had a S&W 9mm with me...I pulled the gun out of it's hiding place and just held it up for the idiot to see...didn't point it at him or anything, but it got the desired effect. He slammed on his brakes and pulled a U-turn and sped off the opposite direction. If I'd had to fire, I realize that I'd been in bad trouble...but, I would have been alive.

Last time was about 10 years ago. My wife and I had gotten home late from a party. She was worn out so she went to bed...our master bedroom faced the street and was just over the top of our garage. I wasn't ready to retire so I went to a bedroom on the other side of the hall, on the backside of the house...I was going to play some online computer games. So, I had my headset on so I wouldn't make too much noise and wake my wife. Well, about an hour after we'd gotten home, my wife comes into my computer room and says there's someone in our driveway screaming bloody murder. I went and looked out the window, and sure enough someone is standing in our driveway screaming loud enough to wake the dead. So, I take my trusty 1911 and my compact flashlight...which is extremely bright and I slowly and as quietly as I can slip out the front door and down the stairs to the edge of our garage to see what's up? There is a kid...around 20 years old standing there screaming and swearing his head off. So, I hit him with the beam from my flashlight and state...what in the hell is going on? The kid turns towards me and the swearing gets worse...along with him threatening to come kick my ass if I didn't get that light out of his eyes. Then I hear a woman's voice from two houses down the block. Screaming at this kid to not talk to the neighbors like that?....What? I quickly flash my light towards the voice and then I realize what's happening. The kid has had an argument with his girlfriend. His mom is standing there with the girlfriend consoling her while her son is up the street at my house screaming. I quickly flip my light back to the kid...still screaming and I tell him to shut up and get off my property. At this point he starts taking steps towards me...I yell at him to stop, but he keeps coming. At that point I pull my 1911 out of my waistband and I shine the light on my waistband as I pull the gun out. I don't aim it or anything, I just pull it out. The kid stops dead in his tracks, I tell him again to get his butt back across the street before he bites off more than he can chew. His mom is screaming at him, along with his girl and he finally starts to run for his own house. Screaming the whole way over that he's going to get his gun and come back and shoot me. My darling wife had already called the police and they showed up probably 10 minutes later. I told the officers what had happened and that I'd ordered him off my property and then I told them that the little punk had threatened to shoot me, and that I was going to take that threat seriously. So, if they wanted to prevent the kid from being shot later they'd better go and explain how the kid had made a threat which I took seriously and I'd protect myself if I saw him anywhere around my property again. Long story short, the police were over at that house for several hours. I never saw that kid around after that. I'm not totally sure, but the police later told me they found a little grass on him and he'd been drinking...so, I don't know if he was hauled away for a while or not, just that I never saw him again...and I never asked about him.

Great descriptive accounts, thanks for sharing. Glad all worked out well.

This is a highly entertaining thread! Glockman gets my "Pullet Surprise" award for his story, but EB31, gonkrzy and GunGeezer share Honorable Mention for theirs.

Enigmaone, you obviously know first-hand the downside of using lethal force. God allowed you to survive, and to remind all of us here about the awesome responsibility of having and using that force.

I didn’t vote because I sensed the poll is about defense from humans. I’ve skated by with only confrontations in the animal kingdom – shot a rabid coyote while bird hunting, a rabid skunk in my back yard, and drew on but ultimately did not shoot a rattlesnake that objected to my presence on a hiking trail (we negotiated a peaceful, mutual withdrawal).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

A few years ago I passed another car on a two-lane highway during my morning commute. I didn't know he was upset until he passed ME, forced me onto the shoulder, and blocked my escape. He got out of his car holding a tire tool, cussing at me. I kept my testosterone-boosted pride in the car, along with the holstered 1911 on my hip. I reasoned that if I got out of the car, SOMEONE would be in BIG trouble... probably ME! When the guy reached my car, screaming challenges through the window, he saw my hand on the grip of my (still holstered) gun, and reconsidered his "strategy".

It was 5 or 10 minutes after he drove away before I calmed down. I failed to get his plate number, or even a vehicle description. I now take every precaution to avoid annoying another motorist. It is amazing how little it takes for DR. JEKYLL to become MR. HYDE when he's behind the wheel of a car. I believe my decision to carry that day saved me from a serious whoopin', or worse.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

I voted yes to 3- on... already discussed in older posts

I had to draw once. Not something I liked being a part of but was damn sure glad I had the option!!!!

Edit: I was in West Palm Beach just getting off of work around 4am(security gaurd). At the time I had just bought my first gun, Bersa Thunder .380 acp, and I had it with me in the car. I was sitting at the light on 45th st near I-95. All of a sudden a car pulls up behind and then pulls up sharply on my right side. I had my gun in a black bag in the middle of the two front seats so I reached down and grabbed it and pointed it to my passenger door. They must have saw me do it cause they just pulled off without the light even changing.

At the time I didn't even have a CCW. I just knew that I had the right to have it in my car or home. And I didn't fire not one shot out of that gun. I had just got it and took it to work so I could see if it would cycle the hollow points I had bought for it. After that, I took an immediate trip to the range the next day to see if the gun functioned properly. I know it was not too smart pulling a gun I didn't know would work. But it was better then finding out what those two guys wanted at 4am.
    Last edited by GlockJS; November 13th, 2010 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Added why I drew.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    This is a highly entertaining thread! Glockman gets my "Pullet Surprise" award for his story, but EB31, gonkrzy and GunGeezer share Honorable Mention for theirs.

Enigmaone, you obviously know first-hand the downside of using lethal force. God allowed you to survive, and to remind all of us here about the awesome responsibility of having and using that force.

I didn’t vote because I sensed the poll is about defense from humans. I’ve skated by with only confrontations in the animal kingdom – shot a rabid coyote while bird hunting, a rabid skunk in my back yard, and drew on but ultimately did not shoot a rattlesnake that objected to my presence on a hiking trail (we negotiated a peaceful, mutual withdrawal).
    As I have allready said,. I hope&pray you NEVER have to find out.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

VIP Member
    Voted - As a civilian I only told somebody once that I had a gun in SD. As a LEO, the gun came out almost weekly, and twice I was very close to a lot of paper work. Back in those days, we didn't have so much political correctness and no cell phone cams, etc. We never had to make any mention of drawing down on someone. These days with the whole older and wiser thing' I'm really not sure how I may react following a shooting. Anyway, with housing values being what they are, I no longer have as much to lose from some crafty lawyer.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links