Have you used a gun for self defense? - Page 6

Have you used a gun for self defense?

This is a discussion on Have you used a gun for self defense? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had only two incidents, but none recently even after I obtained my permit to carry concealed. First episode, I was about 12 years ...

View Poll Results: Have you used your gun in self defense?

Voters
431. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never used my gun in self defense

312 72.39%
  • I told someone I had a gun in self defense

8 1.86%
  • I have shown someone I had a gun in self defense

25 5.80%
  • I drew my gun in self defense

90 20.88%
  • I fired a warning shot in self defense

7 1.62%
  • I fired at someone in self defense

8 1.86%
  • I shot someone in self defense

10 2.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Have you used a gun for self defense?

I have had only two incidents, but none recently even after I obtained my permit to carry concealed.

First episode, I was about 12 years old and spending the weekend with my grandparents and they took a short trip to the grocery store. I was there alone with my cousin, and we were having some problems with the kids across the street. We were outside playing and one of them decided to chase me and my cousin up the drive way with a hatchet in his hand, wildy swinging it. We ran into the house and I grabbed my grandfather's Winchester Model 97 12ga pump shotgun, pointed it out their bedroom window at the little maniac standing in the driveway, swinging the hatchet and told him to get going or else. He heeded my warning and didn't even say boo about the shotgun to anyone. I never mentioned it to my grandfather either, probably should have. The neighbor across the street must have seen it, because he came over after my grandparents returned and told what had happend. My grandad asked me what happend and I told him the kid tried to hit me and my cousin with the hatchet and chased us to the house. My grandad told the neighbor to get the he@@ off his property and control his grand kids. He patted me on the head and said, "Good job!"

Second incident involved me and some thugs the guy who owned the building next door to us had hired to clean it up. My parents had been in a property dispute with the owner for some time, and he was just trash and hired some drunks who frequented his bar to work there that day. I was just 18 years old and home at the time. One of them began yelling at me in the house. He was standing in our driveway saying they were going to run a fence right down the driveway and tear off the end of the house where my bedroom was. I slid open the window and told the guy nicely to please leave the property. He got very angry and started towards the house, with the other thug right behind him. Again, I told them to leave. The one said he was going to "bust down the door, come in and kill me." I took that seriously so I grabbed my Springfield 20 ga shotgun, put three shells in it, pointed it out the window as I racked one into the chamber. Thug stopped dead in his tracks, probably soiled his pants if the truth be known. He yells to his buddy to call the cops and the buddy is litterly running away. I said "go ahead, call them. I will save me the trouble." Neither one of them called anybody, they got in the truck and left. No cops came or anyone said anything. I did call mom at work and told her what happend. She wasn't really happy, but I told her I had no choice, they said they were going to kill me.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I didn't hit the poll because I had a different use of my gun. On two separate occaisions I was interviewed by someone looking to rob me (BS talk and pushing into my personal space). Luckily in both cases I was armed. #1 I was in my car and leaned forward in my seat to put me hand under my vest and get a grip on the gun. #2 I had a .38 in my pocket gun in hand again. In both cases the message was subtle enough to stay safe. Unfortunately I've had more run ins at home.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I'm very happy to say that so far in my 4 years of carrying that I've never had to draw. I did have a situation once 2 years ago in a McDonald's a large guy started harassing me, for no apparent reason. He started threatening me, and since I have severe arthritis in my spine, and my physical skills in self defense have dropped down considerably. Ten years ago, I believed that I could handle myself against just about anyone (of course there are a lot of people that could have cleaned my clock, I just felt that I could handle myself against most). Now though, I just can't move like I used to, and I know that I wouldn't stand a chance against this guy. Since I risk severe injury in a fight, I have no problem in using my gun to prevent that. I did of course took a slightly less aggressive position than drawing. I merely told him that if he tried anything, he would have 45 caliber holes in his chest, unzipped my fanny pack, and put my hand on the grip of my XD. The gun was never visible at any time, so I did not brandish my gun. It did however, end the problem. I walked to my car, and left the area (I was leaving anyway).
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

yes i have, very scary stuff.....

I had kind of a funny one over 30 years ago. My wife and 2 kids and I were up in the foothills near McMinneville, OR where I had my AR15 and new Maico 400 enduro motorcycle. After shooting the AR, I left it sitting against the open bed trailer. When a pickup loaded with 3 guys, we had seen earlier, come driving in off the gravel road. The 3 guys looked at my wife then me then the Black AR. Back to my wife then over to the AR again. They just backed out and drove off.
    I told her to just leave the AR where it was sitting as a warning to anyone driving up and I took off riding. Must have worked as nobody showed up.
    JBPDXOR
    Cougar 8000 9mm
    S&W 586 4" 357
    Winchester Defender 12g

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I drew one time in my life....in the military. Boarding party in the Coast Guard back in '71. Foreign fishing vessel mate would not "listen up...."
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

This is a telling poll and goes back to the whole is a revolver sufficient for self defense post. Less than 2% of the people voting have fired at someone in self defense. I am interested in the number of attackers and the round count. Most will go their whole lives without having to experience the horror that is being attacked and having to defend themselves with deadly force.

I havent used my gun thank God and hope i never will. Almost drew one time as these 2 guys came into a subway and looking for trouble
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

About 45 years ago a college friend of mine (Joe) went to a drive-in burger joint after he got off work late one night in San Antonio.

A carload of what we now call gangbangers pulled up in the slot next to him making quite a bit of noise. As Joe was eating his burger, one of the bangers raised up a small semi-auto - probably a .25 - and proceeded to "polish" it while smirking at my friend.

So Joe put his burger down, retrieved his Colt 1911 .45 from his glovebox, and commenced "polishing" his piece.

The carload of gangbangers hastily departed, and Joe quietly finished his burger before going home for the night.

He never saw that car at the drive-in again.
    It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

Never fired, just drew (talked about it in another post), BG didn't know I drew, it was in my lap just in case I needed it. Hope I never have to need it...

As a rule, I always pray for peace, but dress for war.

Quote Originally Posted by TBob View Post
    A long time ago, I went out with a girl once and we hit it off pretty well. The next evening she shows up at my house with bruises on her neck. Her ex-boyfriend had raped and strangled her that day, and vowed to return that night to finish the job. She went to the police, but they weren't interested. She was petrified. I was an avid and proficient shooter and offered to sleep on her couch because her dad was older and no match for the thug in question. When the thug tried to break into their house that night and she screamed, I awoke from a dead sleep with my .357 in my hand at the ready. To this day I don't remember consciously drawing it. I was fully ready to shoot him w/o hesitation if he advanced, but thankfully God had other plans. Looking down the barrel of a large .357 showed the moron for the coward that he was. The perp retreated at light speed and never came around again. He was HUGE and I'm not. W/o my powerful buddy, probably no one in the house that night would have survived. God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal.

I pray that I never have to shoot anyone, but that incident taught me all I needed to know about training, readiness, and willingness.
    I call shenanigans on the whole story. Especially the part about the cops not being interested in rape and assault. Not even believable.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2011 View Post
    I call shenanigans on the whole story. Especially the part about the cops not being interested in rape and assault. Not even believable.
    I was there with her at the police station 25 years ago, you weren't. Neither she or her father were rich enough to warrant their concern in those days. I guess that it wasn't like that in your Mayberry town. Fortunately, I don't get paid a dollar more or less based on what you think.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

YEP! several times in my "Not to exceed 400 day's" vacation.Back home,NO!
    TBob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TBob View Post
    A long time ago, I went out with a girl once and we hit it off pretty well. The next evening she shows up at my house with bruises on her neck. Her ex-boyfriend had raped and strangled her that day, and vowed to return that night to finish the job. She went to the police, but they weren't interested. She was petrified. I was an avid and proficient shooter and offered to sleep on her couch because her dad was older and no match for the thug in question. When the thug tried to break into their house that night and she screamed, I awoke from a dead sleep with my .357 in my hand at the ready. To this day I don't remember consciously drawing it. I was fully ready to shoot him w/o hesitation if he advanced, but thankfully God had other plans. Looking down the barrel of a large .357 showed the moron for the coward that he was. The perp retreated at light speed and never came around again. He was HUGE and I'm not. W/o my powerful buddy, probably no one in the house that night would have survived. God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal.

I pray that I never have to shoot anyone, but that incident taught me all I needed to know about training, readiness, and willingness.
    I know this is a dead thread, but I thought I would share a situation where I was not thinking clearly, but a bad situation was avoided anyway.

I truly hope I never have to fire my weapons in SD. But, one time about 7 years ago, I drew my weapon, which at the time was only my P3AT .380. My best friend (female) was raped by her boyfriend very early that morning after he had been drinking. After he left, she called me and told me about it. I informed her to call the police (which she did) and I showed up at her house in record time. The LEO's showed up about an hour and a half later. She got scared and decided not to continue with the charges This guy had the nerve to come back that evening, I greeted him at the door with my .380 drawn, but not pointed. As I answered the door, he was first very angry that I was there, he then saw the weapon, after, all he said was he "didn't mean to go that far". My response, while not the brightest, was "I suggest you leave now and stay far from her or I will go too far"

Now, I have placed my hand (resting) on the grip of my weapon while being eyeballed with my family (sized up) but a group of wanna be thugs before.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links