Does your search and rescue team allow you to carry? - Page 2

Does your search and rescue team allow you to carry?

This is a discussion on Does your search and rescue team allow you to carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have a similar situation where I'm at. I'm a firefighter/emt and our county has a policy of no firearms on any of the stations' ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does your search and rescue team allow you to carry?

We have a similar situation where I'm at. I'm a firefighter/emt and our county has a policy of no firearms on any of the stations' property. That includes our vehicles. My complaint is, if it's enforced, I can't respond to most of our calls, unless I'm home when we get the call and I leave my pistol at home. It's a beauracracy thing that is always a battle to change long held policies. Just have to dig in your heels and fight it. I'm working on it now, but it's not a priority issue it seems.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

in my county SAR members can be issues a SO fire arm and they have to go through all the Qual shoots, to be able to open carry while on duty.
    one think I would like to see would to be able to qualify with your own fire arm and not just the SOs.... right now the issued weapon is a para ordnance 1911 .45, but when I am in bear country I would like to be able to carry a .44 mag......

Interesting.. Keeping in mind that the people that this is in regards to are all volunteers. I'm simply trying to get it established that if you have your CPL you can carry for your own protection. Meaning that if you pull your weapon out you are still under the same rules just like if you were not on a mission.. I'm not asking for any protection like LEO's have simply to use my right to protect myself.
    ~XD-45 Compact~
    You might be weak but God is Strong!

we are all volunteers, and I would say it is at least a "grey" area....
    First, I would rather live then not.... but I can see where you could be in a world of hurt, (maybe) if you were CC and had to use it... for us when we are on a mission we are covered under the sheriffs workman comp policy.... also all the SOP and other guidelines being under the sheriff.

@xoolo Do you guys have that policy and trining info written out anywhere?
    ~XD-45 Compact~
    You might be weak but God is Strong!

Quote Originally Posted by OLYXDGUY View Post
    Interesting.. Keeping in mind that the people that this is in regards to are all volunteers. I'm simply trying to get it established that if you have your CPL you can carry for your own protection. Meaning that if you pull your weapon out you are still under the same rules just like if you were not on a mission.. I'm not asking for any protection like LEO's have simply to use my right to protect myself.
    I take that your SAR team is affiliated with the Sheriff's Department. If that is the case they become responsible for your actions or lack of actions during a search. If your team is a NGO then you can write your own polices. However, that not all peaches and cream either.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by OLYXDGUY View Post
    @xoolo Do you guys have that policy and trining info written out anywhere?
    I am sure we do, let me dig it up and I will get you a copy

also I might add, ours came about when we had a search years back for a possible murder, the suspect was at large and they thought it was better to have SAR armed in case they came across him in the field.
    (now this was before my time on SAR back when I was a BC on the Fire dept... )
    so.... I don't know all the details about how it came about...

Funny this thread should pop up today... we just had our night qualification shoot last night. I shot a personal best of 248 out of 250
    Night Qual.jpg

We are sworn special deputies of the Sheriff's Office and act under his direction when paged out. Occasionally we are asked to help search for evidence or people that don't necessarily want to be found, so the SO would like us armed in those instances. As was mentioned above, we normally have just a single sergeant that will spend his time at IC while us lowly ground pounders do our thing. We may be hours from our nearest backup so we've got to be self-sufficient.

I know our bylaws and SOPs address SAR members carrying (we have to do a day and night qualification each year as well as use of force training). I'll see what I can find for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal21 View Post
    Funny this thread should pop up today... we just had our night qualification shoot last night. I shot a personal best of 248 out of 250
    Night Qual.jpg

We are sworn special deputies of the Sheriff's Office and act under his direction when paged out. Occasionally we are asked to help search for evidence or people that don't necessarily want to be found, so the SO would like us armed in those instances. As was mentioned above, we normally have just a single sergeant that will spend his time at IC while us lowly ground pounders do our thing. We may be hours from our nearest backup so we've got to be self-sufficient.

I know our bylaws and SOPs address SAR members carrying (we have to do a day and night qualification each year as well as use of force training). I'll see what I can find for ya.
    sounds just like ours... side note, where you are in utah, did your team do the MRA re cert in Spanish fork this year?

I'm in Sanpete County... about an hour south of Spanish Fork.

Our Sheriff has the team involved with NASAR instead of MRA. We're all SARTECH II certified. I don't know much about MRA guidelines but I imagine they're pretty comparable?

Kootenai County Idaho Search & Rescue CAN carry.

Must complete P.O.S.T. Use of force and firearms training through Sheriff's Department (Same requirement as deputies).

Must also qualify and demonstrate proficiency at failure drills with weapon to be carried twice a year. (same 60 round qualification course as deputies).

Even though I'm not involved with SAR, I have the opinion that if someone has a CPL they should most certainly be allowed- if not required- to carry. Period. I also have no objection to Search and Rescue folks open carrying, either. Just my opinion.

Sorry if I've threadjacked-
    Four Rugers, three SIG Sauers; my SP101 3-1/16" .357 is shown in my avatar. I like reliability.

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven83815 View Post
    Kootenai County Idaho Search & Rescue CAN carry.

Must complete P.O.S.T. Use of force and firearms training through Sheriff's Department (Same requirement as deputies).

Must also qualify and demonstrate proficiency at failure drills with weapon to be carried twice a year. (same 60 round qualification course as deputies).
    That makes sense to me. I assume the SO is the responcible agency for the SAR team and therefore the one who has to defend any use of force a SAR team member uses. So if one has completed the POST use of force training and the same quals as the Deputies it makes it a whole lot easier to defend ones use of force.

Florida

In Florida we have lots of water and lots of gators to deal with. Our organization is made up of volunteers, but usually called out by LE. Our policy (unwritten) has been that at least one person per team carries. If that is a LEO, that is great, but very seldom do we have enough officers or deputies on site to do that. I think, or at least hope, that the LEOs understand our dogs are our partners, just as their K9s are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links