Walking The Dog Almost Drawed

This is a discussion on Walking The Dog Almost Drawed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other night I was out walking my dog on her leash as usall. There are no side walks so I stay as far right ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking The Dog Almost Drawed

Walking The Dog Almost Drawed

The other night I was out walking my dog on her leash as usall.

There are no side walks so I stay as far right as I can it was dark about 8;30pm

I noticed a Ford ranger comeing up road fast he slams on brakes and starts

comeing out of driver door he ask for directions . I had my hand in right pocket

ready to pull it scared the crap out of me . The kid was about 20 it looked like.

I gave him directions from a distance .And the told him it was not a great idea

for him to jump out at folks like that .

2. Remove Ads

Well I'm glad you didn't draw on him. Glad also that you informed him that it wasn't a good idea to do as he did. Young guy about 20 probably just doesn't know any better. Best someone tell him before he gets himself shot.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    It isn't just kids that don't realize that kind of action could be misinterpreted. I've seen middle-aged folk do similar things.

Young guys that don't know any better, old guys that should know better.....

Sometimes dumb is just dumb.

Glad you're alright and nothing more than a teachable moment occured.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Drawed? Oh, well, I'd have spelled it out for him: G-A-R-M-I-N.

/got nothin'

Awareness brings periodic moments of tension, better than the alternatives.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

As I backed into my driveway yesterday, some guy in an SUV pulls in, he is on the phone and really doesn't acknowledge me. My kids are in the backseat, so I say in the truck, I put the truck in drive and get ready to ram the SUV if need be. Turns out he was lost and really thought he was in the right place. The guy needs to get his addresses straight......some people......

Speaking of dogs, I really had to fight the urge to draw at the dog park the other day. Someone brought their pitbull in and I was sitting on a bench all the way on the other side, about 100 feet or so. My dog was off to the right soaking up as much attention as possible from some other people. The pitbull charged straight toward me and completely took me by surprise at just how fast it moved. I was involuntarily sliding up the back of the bench with my right hand ready. Literally at the last possible moment, it veered to my left in a move I wouldn't have thought possible. If I had been anywhere but in the dog park or if this dog had been snarling at the same time I think I might have drawn out of sure instinct but being that we were in the dog park I was able to give it the benefit of the doubt. That didn't stop my instincts from screaming at me though. I didn't feel any better when someone else brought their pitbull in and the two started fighting while they watched which attracted some other dogs and a big whirlwind of snarling teeth ensued. That was my cue to leave. Why do so many people have to suck at being decent?
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    It isn't just kids that don't realize that kind of action could be misinterpreted. I've seen middle-aged folk do similar things.

Young guys that don't know any better, old guys that should know better.....

Sometimes dumb is just dumb.

I've seen this sentiment on here a lot lately. And while it's impolite to startle people, I dont think anyone should be made to think that they'll be shot (or due physical harm) for doing so. Or that there is a likelihood of such.

Because to shoot or even draw on someone for that reason is wrong (& illegal). Period. You have not completely ID'd a threat.

It's another example of "if the only tool you have is a hammer...." The most natural instinct to do in such cases is move. (This is why we jump, etc, when startled). And that's a good thing to start with in most cases. (Even when a firearm is warranted).

But to make blanket statements that people should be more careful about being abrupt or startling people or they might get shot....IMO that is wrong......(and RoadRunner you didnt necessarily say that).... If we actually come close to shooting people in those cases, then we are in the wrong. (I dont mean 'clearing and preparing'. I'm talking more about the implications of the statements).

Would I maybe have reached for my weapon in the scenario presented? Maybe, but I wouldnt blame it on the other party. The responsibility lies with me.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I've seen this sentiment on here a lot lately. And while it's impolite to startle people, I dont think anyone should be made to think that they'll be shot (or due physical harm) for doing so. Or that there is a likelihood of such.

Because to shoot or even draw on someone for that reason is wrong (& illegal). Period. You have not completely ID'd a threat.

It's another example of "if the only tool you have is a hammer...." The most natural instinct to do in such cases is move. (This is why we jump, etc, when startled). And that's a good thing to start with in most cases. (Even when a firearm is warranted).

But to make blanket statements that people should be more careful about being abrupt or startling people or they might get shot....IMO that is wrong......(and RoadRunner you didnt necessarily say that).... If we actually come close to shooting people in those cases, then we are in the wrong. (I dont mean 'clearing and preparing'. I'm talking more about the implications of the statements).

Would I maybe have reached for my weapon in the scenario presented? Maybe, but I wouldnt blame it on the other party. The responsibility lies with me.
    I agree, there are some folks here that are wound up pretty tight. Call it SA if you want, but at the end of the day you must all be exhausted..

The problem is: once a stranger is allowed with 21 feet of you, you have already given up your ability to defend yourself adequately (drawing and firing from a less than "ready" position.) SA is a b**** but it is part of the mentality required for self defense. I am not talking a crowd situation here of course, in a crowd you are already into the "herding" defensive mode, an effective defense btw.

If somebody unknown to you pulls into your driveway and approaches you, this is definetly a "yellow" situation. If you do not believe that SA is necessary, than you probably are not really sold that carrying a gun is necessary. If you trust people that much, why carry?

In the type scenario above, I smile a lot, act cordial, and put my hand in my right pocket. It isn't a roll of Lifesavers in that pocket.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Sponsor

Deadly force

The real key is:

Introduction of deadly force
    If one is not presented with that, there is no need to defend ones life.

Without the introduction of deadly force, drawing a weapon, pointing a weapon at someone, holding someone at gun point, etc.will land a "well intentioned" guy in the slammer, his gun and permit taken away, to say the least.

The introduction of deadly force (agreed it comes in many colors), is required before one can discharge a weapon on someone, to prove before a court of law ones innocence after the fact.

Guns are not good tools to solve an argument, fists are, trying to pass around the idea that it is OK to show a gun to intimidate is downright dangerous and misleading.

I have the idea that some guys on this forum really don't have a CCL, they might be just fishing for answers, because otherwise, after receiving a basic class and training to acquire their CCL, they would have understood what "Introduction of deadly force" is, and why that specific fact is why the police shoot so many idiots.
    Go with the glow

Not to nit pick, but when there are no sidewalks I thought you were supposed to walk on the left, against traffic. I think it's safer as you can watch the cars that are approaching you on your side. Walking on the right the cars nearest you will be coming up behind you and you won't have much opportunity to react if they don't happen to see you or they have ill intentions etc.

Assuming you're right handed you probably walk your dog with the leash in the left hand to keep your strong side free. Walking on the left side of the road with the leash in your left hand would probably be more effective at keeping your dog out of traffic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gatopardo View Post
    because otherwise, after receiving a basic class and training to acquire their CCL, they would have understood what "Introduction of deadly force" is
    Here in PA there is no class/training requirement (though I did take an optional course), unfortunately I'm sure there are some CCL holders who have no idea what "deadly force" means here in my state......

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal21 View Post
    Not to nit pick, but when there are no sidewalks I thought you were supposed to walk on the left, against traffic. I think it's safer as you can watch the cars that are approaching you on your side. Walking on the right the cars nearest you will be coming up behind you and you won't have much opportunity to react if they don't happen to see you or they have ill intentions etc.

Assuming you're right handed you probably walk your dog with the leash in the left hand to keep your strong side free. Walking on the left side of the road with the leash in your left hand would probably be more effective at keeping your dog out of traffic as well.
    THANK YOU for posting this. It is one of those things that really bother me.

MOST states have a law, vehicles including bicycles drive on the right, walk on the left.

Kev
    <><

Drew. I am the grammarian about whom your mother warned you.

Bikes to the right, walk to the left, dog on the weak side, gun on the strong; put your left foot in, put your left foot out, put your right foot in and shake it all about...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links