Bill Haslam, Pro gun candidate, wins Tennessee Gov.

This is a discussion on Bill Haslam, Pro gun candidate, wins Tennessee Gov. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news...ernor%27s-race NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Republican Bill Haslam on Tuesday scored a landslide victory in the Tennessee governor's race, but was quick to warn supporters of ...

Thread: Bill Haslam, Pro gun candidate, wins Tennessee Gov.

Bill Haslam, Pro gun candidate, wins Tennessee Gov.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news...ernor%27s-race

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Republican Bill Haslam on Tuesday scored a landslide victory in the Tennessee governor's race, but was quick to warn supporters of about the "sobering challenges" facing the state when he takes office on Jan. 15.

Haslam, who defeated Democrat Mike McWherter, said he will go to Nashville on Wednesday to begin the transition and to prepare for ways to address deep budget cuts, boost the state's employment rate and improve the education system.

"In the excitement of tonight, let's not forget that we face some really sobering challenges," Haslam said in a 7-minute speech to supporters at a Knoxville hotel. "We have a budget that really will have $1.5 billion less in revenue to work with next year than we have this year.

"And in education, none of us are satisfied with being closer to the bottom than we are to the top."

Tara Davis and two friends who made the hour drive from Hamblen County to the victory party in Knoxville were undeterred by the gloomy forecast. Davis, a social worker, said the night had been "really awesome" and showed how Tennessee had gotten behind Bill Haslam.

"I am excited to see where he is going to go," said Davis, 26. "He has a really good grasp on what we need to do economically."

With 98 percent of precincts reporting, Haslam had 1 million votes, or 65 percent, to McWherter's 517,817, or 33 percent. McWherter in his concession speech in Jackson wished Haslam success as governor, "because if he does well, the state will progress."

Democratic incumbent Gov. Phil Bredesen, who couldn't run again because of term limits, congratulated Haslam on his victory.

"Haslam will bring a reasoned, commonsense approach to governing our state, and I know he will continue to build on the progress we've made in recent years," Bredesen said in a statement.

McWherter, the son of former Gov. Ned McWherter making his first run for political office, failed to capitalize on his famous last name. He lost all but a handful of the state's 95 counties and was outspent by a 5-to-1 margin by Haslam over the course of the campaign, according to the most recent campaign finance reports.

Haslam was president of the family-owned Pilot chain of truck stops, one of the country's largest privately owned companies, until he was elected mayor of Knoxville in 2003.

Clarksville hotel worker Charlsie Lankford, 45, said she voted for Haslam "mainly because he knows how to run a business."

McWherter's charges that Haslam was a "billionaire oil man" failed to stick, as did a late spurt of television ads depicting Haslam as reckless on gun laws because he said he would sign potential legislation to do away with requirements to obtain a state-issued permit to carry handguns in public.

Roy Cheaves, a retired welder who cast his ballot at the Haletown Volunteer Fire Department in rural Marion County, said he voted for Haslam despite once going fishing with McWherter's father. He said improving the state's education system was among his top priorities.

"I think education is something that needs more accountability," said Cheaves, 84, "The kids are not learning. That's the main thing. "

Both candidates said they'd work to build on Bredesen's accomplishments.

"It was really a tough choice for me," said Craig Cowles, 70, who works in real estate in Memphis and usually votes Republican. "I do think the current administration has done a really good job ... I just voted for Mr. Haslam, I guess partly because of all the ads and so many signs."
    This sounds good for my adoptive home state. And I hope to be moving back there with in the year so we can again enjoy some of the best gun laws in the state. And they sound like they may be getting better in the near future!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Haslam is just another politician who tell people what they want to hear. He has since backed away from that statement. He wasn't pro-2nd Amendment before the election and I don't trust him to be now. The NRA wouldn't support him in the race for governor because of his past associations with anti-gun groups. Just be glad Tennessee has a good legislature that supports gun owners rights.

Haslam joined Bloomberg's group, only left when he decided to run for Governor and then suddenly he was an NRA "life member". His 2A support is mostly empty words.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

uh oh, that doesn't sound too good. I hope he doesn't turn the recent restaurant repeal around in TN.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

As far as gun rights go, former Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey was the man to back. Unfortunately, Haslam just had a lot more money to throw around during the campaign.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Haslam is not only not pro-gun, he has an extensive history of affiliation with anti-gun groups. As Mayor of Knoxville, he stood behind every gun control effort in that city. He was affiliated with several anti-gun Mayor groups.
    The state has four years of rocky road ahead of it on gun issues. The voters and out of staters all bought into the party rhetoric: " Republicans= pro-gun , Democrats= anti-gun." It was actually on a candidate by candidate basis. Some of his fellow Republican candidates were sportsmen and gun owners and some of his Democrat opponents were very pro 2dA. As gun owners we need to look at the individuals and not into party propaganda. I vote split ticket for that very reason. There were several national victories by virulent anti-gun Republicans who rode in on the "Conservative Bandwagon", defeating pro-gun Democrats and Libertarians. We are Americans, not Republicans or Democrats and we need to vote candidate by candidate to preserve our liberties. Neither party cares one whit about our USC rights, they are only driven by the hunger for power.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

And, something to keep in mind, as we all know Governors and presidents don't sign law into being ... legislators do, and they can push it through (with enough support) with or without the backing of the "top dog."

Here I am, stuck with the same, tired ol' anti-gunners in the U.S. House and Senate (for Oregon), Ron Wyden and David Wu.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Haslam is a RINO. I just hope Senators Alexander and Corker get the message from this election!
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

Well, I must have missed a lot of the little details about Haslam since I am not currently living in Tennessee. I know when we left the state I was really pulling for Ron Ramsey but heard after we left that he wasn't the choice to run on the Republican side. I was disappointed to hear that I must admit.

I hope Tennessee doesn't move backwards in pro gun legislation because I am trying as hard as I can go move my family back there.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Well, I must have missed a lot of the little details about Haslam since I am not currently living in Tennessee. I know when we left the state I was really pulling for Ron Ramsey but heard after we left that he wasn't the choice to run on the Republican side. I was disappointed to hear that I must admit.

I hope Tennessee doesn't move backwards in pro gun legislation because I am trying as hard as I can go move my family back there.
    Not to worry. Ramsey, et al, still control the state senate and house.
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

Yes, I had heard that. That is good news.

Do yall actually think the "carry without a permit" legislation will actually be introduced and passed in the near future?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Yes, I had heard that. That is good news.

Do yall actually think the "carry without a permit" legislation will actually be introduced and passed in the near future?

I don't know - I just hope we don't get backwards with carry laws and only better. Seeing some of the stuff that goes on in other states I would be just happy with everything staying the way it was. Be nice if they got rid of the gunbuster sign laws though for private businesses.

Links