Talking to your kids about CC

This is a discussion on Talking to your kids about CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; KSCarry, I am in a similar position - my wife tolerates my ccw. My son is now 10. My starting conversation was very similar to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Talking to your kids about CC

KSCarry,

I am in a similar position - my wife tolerates my ccw. My son is now 10. My starting conversation was very similar to booyah's and my approach has been very much like the theme in the threads before this. I got him involved. Let heim hold and help clean the guns. I teach him the 4 rules. He shoots my old Daisy 1896 model bb rifle. His goal is to earn his way up the chain - .22 Lr, .410 shot, and so on.

SO far he has been very discreet about it - even offering tips on when he "makes" me when we are out running errands.

Hope you are sucessful in your talks withyour son.

Steve

2. Remove Ads

Thanks to everyone for their very helpful advice. I have looked through the Eddie the Eagle program before, but your other tips have been very helpful. As a youth, most of my safety training was through the hunters safety program, not my parents. Your tips on talking to younger children are a great resource. I especially like the idea of letting him handle the gun anytime he asks. I think that is a great way to make it not a mystery. I'm looking forward to having the discussion with him this weekend. I doubt it will go exactly like I plan, but that's just the fun of being a parent.

Quote Originally Posted by KSCarry View Post
    I especially like the idea of letting him handle the gun anytime he asks. I think that is a great way to make it not a mystery.
    I actually had this happen today. We are putting laminate flooring in the master bedroom. So the shotgun got placed on a table while the girls were at school. When they came home my youngest asked if she could see. Just walked up to it, said "Why is this gun here? Can I look at it?" I immediately told her not to touch it yet. I walked over and picked it up. Took her over to the living room area. Showed her that I had cleared all the rounds, and what to look for to make sure it was clear. Went over the gun safety rules again. Then let both of my girls look at it. After about 5 minutes they were bored with it and headed for their dolls. But that 5 minutes goes a long way to satisfying their curiosity in a positive and safe way. It made my day.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I actually had this happen today. We are putting laminate flooring in the master bedroom. So the shotgun got placed on a table while the girls were at school. When they came home my youngest asked if she could see. Just walked up to it, said "Why is this gun here? Can I look at it?" I immediately told her not to touch it yet. I walked over and picked it up. Took her over to the living room area. Showed her that I had cleared all the rounds, and what to look for to make sure it was clear. Went over the gun safety rules again. Then let both of my girls look at it. After about 5 minutes they were bored with it and headed for their dolls. But that 5 minutes goes a long way to satisfying their curiosity in a positive and safe way. It made my day.
    I can hardly think of anything that my kids are "less" interested in than firearms. They know why my wife and I carry and have guns in the house; and it's a NON-issue with them. (hunting & shooting bore them immensely)

However, some of the neighbors that own guns have taken a different approach and their children are dangerously curious about firearms. Like I've said before, my son has already experienced a dangerous situation with another kid that found his dads gun.

I also saw his friend pointing and shooting an unloaded "bb" gun at my son. I kinda fussed at him for doing that and fussed my son for letting his friend point a "gun" at him.

(It was shortly after that, when a boy brought a REAL 22lr handgun to play with around my son.)

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    My daughters were born after I started carrying. They grew up seeing my guns, holsters, and cleaning sessions. They never gave it a second thought. Now both are grown and have their own guns and CCW's. It was just a fact of life to them, no explanation needed.

Pretty much what I was going to type.

My daughters, only 3 & 2, know there are guns in the house. Thwy know and constantly cite that they are to NEVER touch them...."we never touch daddy's guns. Only daddy touches them". They are so used to seeing me put it on and take it off that they barely ask anything anymore. They know when I have it on and know which hip it is on and adhere to the rule of avoiding that side. My oldest has it down, my youngest needs to be reminded still. It's amazing to see a 3 year old go to run up to your leg for a hug and you see in her eyes that she remembered...without being told...and switches direction and goes to the other leg...and you know she remembered what you taught her. Just a great feeling.

My girls know about guns, know what they are for and know to stay away from them unless I am there with them directly supervising them. They are not afraid of guns, just taught better judgement and safety. They both go to the range with me, so both have been exposed (with hearing protection) to what guns sound like.

Everyone has their own methods, we all just do the best we can.

I had my fiance and her 8 y/o daughter watch a couple "Armed Response" video's (by Ralph Mroz) with me. It really helped explain a lot.

Great thread. I cc and my wife is in the process to get her permit. She already has her Beretta for the house. We have a 2, a 6, and an almost 9 y/o at home. We are getting ready to tell them. I've been carrying for about a year now so it's new to the household. I was against handguns for years but since I began running as a medic in 'da hood' I've changed my mind. I carry all the time now and the kids don't know it. (Guess they haven't notice how I turn sometimes when they give me a hug so they don't feel my strongside carry.)

We feel they need to know and want to also take the 'mystery' out of it. Some of your posts hit home my concerns of not teaching gun safety to them soon so when they go to a friends house they know how to stay safe. I must say that it's great to see how other people handled it. Thanks guys.
    "What I did?!?!"
    Anonymous criminal just tackled by LEO in COPS.

Beretta Px4 Sub-Compact 9mm, Taurus 738 TCP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links