Issues with car carry.

Issues with car carry.

This is a discussion on Issues with car carry. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I often go on 5 or 6 hour road trips to her parents' and I was interested in putting a holster in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Issues with car carry.

My wife and I often go on 5 or 6 hour road trips to her parents' and I was interested in putting a holster in the console/under the steering wheel. My concern is that she doesn't have her CCW, and would there be any way either one of us could be breaking the rules with this, since especially if it was in the console she could access it (not that she would, but doesn't matter to LEO I'm sure). Thanks for the input, and sorry if this has been covered before, didn't see it on a search.

If you are in close enough proximity to maintain control of the weapon, I don't see a problem. If you were driving with a belt holster at three o'clock, she would also have access to that. I believe that any question would revolve around control of the weapon. The foregoing is without specific knowledge of firearm statutes wherever you might be.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    just don't leave her alone in the car with the gun..that would be illegal I would think.

One thing that has always concerned me about a gun right under the steering wheel is that if you get in a frontal collision, that chunk of metal is going bang right into your leg (or worse). Some cars these days have knee airbags too (I have one), so that could make things worse, too.

As far as your question, I guess it depends on what the laws are on car carry for a non-permitted individual. That would cover your wife.

IMO.....your vehicle can't obtain a permit for CC. Therefore, there's no such thing as "car-carry". It's either on you, or it's not being carried. Your responsibility demands that it's within your control at all times. I don't know how to put it in simpler terms.

Move to Louisiana then you can carry your gun in your car all you want! But of course, you'll have to drive longer than 5 or 6 hours to see Mom and Dad. But, hey... the food's good!
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    IMO.....your vehicle can't obtain a permit for CC. Therefore, there's no such thing as "car-carry". It's either on you, or it's not being carried. Your responsibility demands that it's within your control at all times. I don't know how to put it in simpler terms.
    Obviously it depends on the state he is in. However, you are allowed "off the body" carry. If you have your gun in a bag and it's sitting within your reach, seems like that would qualify.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears!

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Move to Louisiana then you can carry your gun in your car all you want! But of course, you'll have to drive longer than 5 or 6 hours to see Mom and Dad. But, hey... the food's good!
    I could just plop it on the dash and per our OC laws be fine lol. And that is some good food, made some jambalaya last night.

Be careful... depends on the state your in (as mentioned by others in prior posts).

For example, in Ohio the "in car carry" you mention in your opening post would be illegal. Some states require the firearm to be on you or in a case or compartment of some sort... so read each states rules/statutes before traveling into another state (or maybe your own state if you have not checked it out previously).

Nothing worse than being stopped by a LEO and finding out that you were in violation when all he/she wanted to do was warn you that your tailight was out.. with just a warning... but that was before he saw your firearm under the steering column.
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbumcook View Post
    Be careful... depends on the state your in (as mentioned by others in prior posts).

For example, in Ohio the "in car carry" you mention in your opening post would be illegal. Some states require the firearm to be on you or in a case or compartment of some sort... so read each states rules/statutes before traveling into another state (or maybe your own state if you have not checked it out previously).

Nothing worse than being stopped by a LEO and finding out that you were in violation when all he/she wanted to do was warn you that your tailight was out.. with just a warning... but that was before he saw your firearm under the steering column.
    If Dr. Suzanna Hupp had broken the law and carried her revolver in her purse on October 16, 1991, she would have been a hero and her parents would be alive.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Since you are considering mounting a holster to your vehicle, I suggest you take a look at these two gun holster car mounting options: Grassburr Leather Works and Gum Creek Customs. I use the solution by Gum Creek Customs and I am very pleased with it. I like the fact that I can remove it any time I want, I can use different types of holsters/guns with it and I can install it in other cars as well (wife's, rentals, parents, etc.). The solution by Grassburr is more sturdy, permanent and they also sell a concealment pouch in case that your specific State Laws require the gun to be fully concealed. Nonetheless, this system only works with their holsters and it is more expensive.

If the Laws in your State require the gun to be fully concealed, then you could also bolt a Blackhawk Serpa Holster inside your console or in the glove compartment. The only downside is that drawing the gun will be a little bit slower. Check your State's Laws first and then implement the system that best suits your specific needs.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I like this answer.

Alternatively, if you want a better one, call your local prosecutor.

Each state addresses this issue differently. In FL, anyone (who can legally own a gun) can car carry a pistol in the car, but it has to be in a case or a holster and in the glove box/console.
    However, if you have a permit, it can be on the seat, between the seat and console, or even mounted below the steering wheel (if you like that)...as long as you cover it (towel, hat, etc.). Just so it cannot be seen from outside the car.
    Now if you have your permit and have the gun wedged in between the seat and console, covered with your ball cap...you're good to go, but if you exit the vehicle and your wife (without a permit) remains in the car...she is now breaking the law.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Each state addresses this issue differently. In FL, anyone (who can legally own a gun) can car carry a pistol in the car, but it has to be in a case or a holster and in the glove box/console.
    However, if you have a permit, it can be on the seat, between the seat and console, or even mounted below the steering wheel (if you like that)...as long as you cover it (towel, hat, etc.). Just so it cannot be seen from outside the car.
    Now if you have your permit and have the gun wedged in between the seat and console, covered with your ball cap...you're good to go, but if you exit the vehicle and your wife (without a permit) remains in the car...she is now breaking the law.
    Yep, State specific. VA is an open carry state and it can be carried in the car in plain sight without a permit. They recently changed the law where a firearm can also be carried in a console or glovebox of a car without a permit. I love Virginia!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

With the proper holster, you should be able to carry the weapon on your person easily for that amount of time. We drove up to the UP 5.5 hours this past summer and i had my Glock in my Supertuck the whole time. I've thought about mounting a left-hand holster to my side of the center console, but worry about where the gun might end up in the event of an accident. With it on me, in a holster, i know where it's at and it's not going anywhere unless i grab it. As stated above, i can also get out of the car and my wife isn't breaking any laws by having a weapon in the vehicle with her when she's not licensed. Having the weapon on your person is generally accepted in most states i've dealt with, so it's just easier overall.
    What do you carry btw? The size of the gun would certainly play a role in this case.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links