one in the pipe

one in the pipe

This is a discussion on one in the pipe within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, long time lurker first time poster - Have been reading about CC for a while, took my class over the summer but due ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: one in the pipe

one in the pipe

Hey all, long time lurker first time poster -
    Have been reading about CC for a while, took my class over the summer but due to finances was only able to submit my paperwork to get my permit last month. General consensus is when you carry, always keep one in the pipe - this was even brought upon in my carry course. My carry gun unless for some reason I have it apart, or doing dry fire exercises etc. - it has one chambered.

My problem/question to you all is my fiance does not like the fact that it is loaded. Now I am not trying to start a weapon debate war, the best safety is yourself - but I have tried using the fact that our local PD carries glocks, which of course are striker fired & have no way of decocking and that the police always carry one chambered. I carry a sig p229 currently, round chambered and decocked as per norm for sigs. She mainly doesn't like the fact that there is no safety, and I tried to explain that in a way - my sig is much more safe than the PD's glock (not trying to create a war, just was using this as an argument against her). She has been using the argument "well you aren't the police, you don't need to keep one chambered regardless- it makes me nervous". The nervousness comes from having a 2 year old son around - now I keep my 2 handguns in places to where he cannot get them (other gun has a loaded mag near it, but not loaded and not one in the chamber), but she is still afraid that he will get his hands on one somehow and there will be one in the chamber.

I have agreed that at least when my sig is on night stand duty to not have one chambered. We keep our bedroom door locked at night and we have 2 dogs that go crazy with strangers around, so I am pretty confident I would have time to rack the slide in a home defense situation, the only thing I don't like is having 1 less round with me before needing a reload. So what are some other points I could use to try and convince her that having a round in the pipe is the smart thing when carrying?

She is very stubborn and I think the best way would be an actual demonstration vs just words. I think I will make her put on my holster, stand 10 feet away and tell her when I start to move towards her to draw, rack the slide, and then attempt to do 1 dryfire before I can reach her (I am confident I wouldn't even need to run to her, just a brisk walk). Then to do it again without racking the slide. If she were to say well if we are ever in the situation you just need to draw sooner so you have the chance to rack the slide, etc. At least this I can argue with legal matters of at that distance the "threat" isn't necessarily a threat yet, drawing early could be considered brandishing a weapon. That and we may not always see the attack coming, and would be lucky to be able to draw and fire while the threat is in physical contact with you, let alone rack the slide during a scuffle.

What do you all think or got any other ideas?

If you are a lurker why does your join date say November '10?

Anyway,the point here is your son is not 6 foot tall.There is no way he can get to the weapons,and chances are 1 in a billion he would figure out how to load them anyway.Your idea about a demonstration sounds ok,just dont have her point it directly at you.That would make you seem even more dangerous then she already thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    If you are a lurker why does your join date say November '10?
    You actually don't have to register to view the forums, just have to hit the forum link up top to redirect past the initial login page. Only have to be registered to post.....been reading for a number of months but never had enough of an urge to register in order to post something until now.

My wife was exactly the same way about 16 years ago when our son was a year old. Nothing that I said would change her mind. She even went out in the yard with me and I showed her how the safeties worked, (I carry a 1911 cocked and locked at all times) The only thing that finally worked was time.

Over time, she eventually stopped complaining about it. It took a couple years. Now, after many years, she is starting to carry concealed herself.

Times change, let's hope it doesn't take your wife as long to realize the importance than mine.

Kev
    <><

GM
    Welcome to the forum

Good luck convincing your fiancé; it sounds like she does not understand because she does not want to understand. The demonstration you talk about is a good idea, but it is not sure that it will help; there's none so deaf as those who will not hear .
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

She is just stubborn, she isn't anti-gun but concerned about safety - she was raised in a rural area and shot rifles/shotguns all the time growing up but handguns are a new ballgame to her. I do think time will help if she cares to learn about the guns. I plan on switching to my FNX9 as my new carry piece, but I am waiting on a custom holster for it - so when that happens hopefully she wont care as much since it has a manual safety. Part of it stems from she fired my sig a few times and didn't like it, and as a result just wants me to get rid of it because she is all around scared of it. She loves my FN though, just wish it came with night sights standard. Sig will probably remain on night stand duty and my FN will prolly just be the carry piece.

Next time the discussion comes up I will get her to do the exercise I was talking about, it may make her think twice about me carrying a round chambered.

So,
    1. She doens't like the fact that you have one in the chamber.
    2. She doesn't like the Sig at all.
    3. You're going to make her put on the Sig, and play your little Tueller drill game.

If I'm her, I'm going to say, "Just this once honey, I think one in the chamber is a GOOD idea! Okay, now you get ready!"

Sometimes, the fight ain't worth it. Now, if the gun is more important than her, pack up and move on. If it ain't... give it time... otherwise, you have all the time you need to rack one in the house.. and until her attitude changes, you need to be closer to code orange than normally when you are out and about.

And I don't care that the kid is young now...they watch mom get out the step stool, they'll learn how to use it too. then alla sudden they're tall, too. Lock up guns not in use or on your person with little ones in the house.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Some questions to probe the sources of her fears:
    - How would she feel about a loaded revolver rather than an automatic on the nightstand?
    - Does she get nervous if a uniformed cop with a loaded gun is standing next to her?
    - Has she ever visited a shooting range? Or shot a gun herself?

I really doubt you will gain much traction with a practical demonstration such as the one you're suggesting, because the fairer gender tends to see these things on an emotional rather than logical level. And if you do proceed with it, don't have her strap on the object of her fears... you can do the same demo with a rubber band. The gross motor skills are generally similar. Have her "draw" the rubber band back as soon as you start moving, and "shoot" you with it.

Furthermore, stop and THINK about your proposed demonstration. Remember the "Four Rules" - ? Here's a quiz: how many and which rules would your demonstration violate?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Some questions to probe the sources of her fears:
    - How would she feel about a loaded revolver rather than an automatic on the nightstand?
    - Does she get nervous if a uniformed cop with a loaded gun is standing next to her?
    - Has she ever visited a shooting range? Or shot a gun herself?

I really doubt you will gain much traction with a practical demonstration such as the one you're suggesting, because the fairer gender tends to see these things on an emotional rather than logical level. And if you do proceed with it, don't have her strap on the object of her fears... you can do the same demo with a rubber band. The gross motor skills are generally similar. Have her "draw" the rubber band back as soon as you start moving, and "shoot" you with it.

Furthermore, stop and THINK about your proposed demonstration. Remember the "Four Rules" - ? Here's a quiz: how many and which rules would your demonstration violate?
    Holy cow... +100 on this. I was reading thru waiting for someone to call it out before I did. I've read many stories where someone was "training" with the wife or husband this way and ended up shooting them. DON'T DO IT!!!
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Smitty, she has shot firearms before, in my original post I stated she has shot my sig and hates it - she is just is not as comfortable with handguns in general compared to long guns. Gun would have mag dropped, chamber clear. Mag would have to be dropped anyways unless I had a mag of snap caps, otherwise the slide lock would come into play.

I would only have her draw, rack slide, and attempt to do a dryfire all while pointed at the ground - not going to have her aim the thing at me. All while I casually walk up and touch her on the shoulder. I don't care how much I know a gun is unloaded, I don't want it pointed at me or anyone else. I may see if we have even a toy gun in the house that will fit my holster, but I don't believe we do - otherwise I would use that or a blue gun.

This is a take from an actual police training live fire exercise. You have 1 person at the firing line, with a target 10 ft out - second person 10 ft behind them. Third person says go, the shooter attempts to draw and fire as many well placed rounds on the target before the "runner" gets to the shooter and taps them on the shoulder. I do not even have to be in front of her for this to be effective, nor the gun even pointed in my general direction.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    My wife was an AGer; and concerned about safety around our kids as well. I told her it would be a good idea for her to take a CWP class and learn about "safety". She did (almost two years ago).

Since then she has taken more training classes, bought more guns, bought more ammo and competed in more matches than I. She can outshoot most men, handle almost any type of firearm with proficiency; and even assists in our clubs CWP classes on a regular basis.

As to worrying about "one less" round, don't. You most like will not shoot more than 2 or 3 antway should you be targeted for a HIR. The real concern needs to be "training"; Get more of it!

(You do not want to be fumbling trying to think what you should do in the event of a confrontation.)

Safety. Safety only lies with YOU. Your firearm does not have a mind of it's own. Your firearm should always be under your control. Therefore, you rule your firearm, you are one with it, and know when circumstances dictate a change for conditions.
    Also.....those with children in the house (and I see this time and again)....think more of the CC or HD weapon being accessible than the chemicals under your bathroom sink. (sorry...on my second rant of the night I'd guess). Having a weapon immediately available for defense IS a life changing ordeal. Whether it's CC on your person, or having it available on the night stand. YOU are ultimately responsible for it in any condition it's in and wherever it is. Pistols don't fire themselves, they depend on someone pulling the trigger. Left alone, a firearm is an inanimate object and incapable of 'doing' anything.

VIP Member
    You might also ask her what good is an empty gun?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Welcome from TN!

Just wanted to say welcome :)

I always keep one in the chamber or pipe and I have four kids. But I also have a lock box in room and the kids know that when the wife and I are not at home, they don't enter our room. Plus every time that come home I lock my weapon up and I really don't let the kids know that I am carrying. But they know when or if things get out hand that I got their backs in a heart beat. (That's when we are out and about) Like a member said earlier that you are responsible for the safety of your weapon at all times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links