Defensive Carry banner

Why would you need multiple CHP?

2K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  TN_Mike 
#1 ·
I have a friend that is a 1 upper. For those that don't know what a 1 upper is, its a person that 1 ups you on any thing you say for example:

You: I just got a new jacket

1 upper: Well I just got a limited signature series double layer authentic leather one.

1 upper: Did i say limited edition?

you: yes

1 Upper: Oh ok, just making sure you knew that

So awhile ago He found out that I was into guns and that I had a CHP. SO yesterday he told me that next week he will be recieving his. Now thats fine and all but....... (wait for it , wait for it) All 3 of them. Now 3 you ask? It confused me too. 3? 3 What? 3 CHP's 1 from FL, 1 From UT and 1 From VA. (and there's the 1 up) Why 3? Because its good to have. Good to have?? Now this is a guy that never travels out of state. I now fear for his safety at this point because he just got it for bragging rights. I carry a SR9 or M&P 40 depending on where im going. And in order to 1 up me, he might start carrying a dersert eagle. And i'm afraid to tell him that I have an AR-15 because he might showup with an RPG.

So do any of you have multiple CHP's? And why?

See less See more
#2 ·
I would love to see someone try to carry a desert eagle and all the spare mags he would try to up you with.If hes your friend and your concerned about his safety,you might also mention the responsibility that comes with carrying.Is he familiar with guns?

#3 ·
My answer would be, just in case you do go into another state that one of your other permits covers and... get them while you can ;^)
That said, I've been meaning to get one for FLA, which I believe covers OH, but I am in NY far more often than OH. Sadly, there's nothing I can do about that.

#4 ·
So awhile ago He found out that I was into guns and that I had a CHP. SO yesterday he told me that next week he will be recieving his. Now thats fine and all but....... (wait for it , wait for it) All 3 of them. Now 3 you ask? It confused me too. 3? 3 What? 3 CHP's 1 from FL, 1 From UT and 1 From VA. (and there's the 1 up) Why 3? Because its good to have. Good to have?? Now this is a guy that never travels out of state.
That should have had your BS meter pegging into the red.

#7 ·
I'm a VA resident and have my VA permit. My home state is GA and I had one from GA before I moved to VA. Now that my state of residence has changed, my GA is no longer valid so I had to get my VA permit. But.... because VA and GA don't have reciprocity, when I travel back down to GA to visit my family there, I cannot carry unless I have a permit that from another state that has reciprocity with GA (since GA does not issue permits to non-residents). So I got my NH non-resident permit and they have reciprocity with GA. My VA permit covers me for VA, TN, NC, SC and my NH permit covers me for GA. So I can carry all the way from VA to GA with no problem.

#10 ·
Show him your CCW BADGE (get one if you have to for this exercize)... Tell him you were gonna get the sash, but you didn't qualify for one.
Maybe he'll show up with one (sash), on, and parade around the world in it!

Then tell him the reason you didn't qualify was that you weren't STOOOPID enough.

#12 ·
I am a VA resident and have a VA permit. I am occassionally sent to Georgia for training and as tkruf mentioned the VA permit is not valid in Georgia so last year before the rates went up I applied for a New Hampshire permit. I now have both so I'm good on the east coast from VA down to FL.

#14 ·
I'll give you a little different perspective. I have a 218 which is good in all states, but I also have an Idaho CWP. The reason. The 218 entitles me to carry a firearm and the Idaho CWP entitles me to carry my gloves or a sap in addition to a firearm within Idaho.

#15 ·
I am looking into getting my second permit now. I recently got a job where the company HQ is in Washington state and the don't recognize my Colorado permit. I will probably be traveling out there a few times a year. I just haven't decided on the Utah or Florida one yet.

#16 ·
I don't feel like looking it up because it doesn't involve me, and I may be wrong, but I believe FL only honors reciprocy of permits of "residents" of said states. For example: a Conn. resident with a PA non-resident permit would not have reciprocy in FL as the permit is for PA and the possessor is NOT a PA resident.

The only use of "non-resident" permits that I see is for use in states "without" reciprocy.

#18 · (Edited)
A VA resident permit has reciprocity with Fl, so why the need for a non-res FL permit ?

I would like to get a Non-resident Utah Permit , because it adds reciprocity to the states that I could carry in while traveling.

#19 ·
My point was not how other states honor a FL "non-resident" CWFL, but in how FL honors "non-resident" permits from "third-party states."

FL statute 790.015
Nonresidents who are United States citizens and hold a concealed weapons license in another state; reciprocity.

(1)Notwithstanding s. 790.01, a resident of the United States who is a nonresident of Florida may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm while in this state if the nonresident:

(a)Is 21 years of age or older; and

(b)Has in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued to the nonresident in his or her state of residence.

My reading of this is that only permits issued in a non-resident's home state are honored, but not a "Non-resident" license issued by a third state. So my statement stands that Fl does not honor a Conn resident with a "PA Non-resident" CC permit.

#20 ·
I have permits in VA,FL,UT and NV. Reciprocity agreements can and do change. Ex, NV stopped recognizing both UT and FL permits. I spend a good bit of time visiting friends in Las Vegas so I got a NV CCW. Now if any other states stopped getting recognized, I'm still OK there.

I also spend alot of time in VA and I could carry there on my FL permit. My thinking is if I get stopped in VA an LEO may be more comfortable with my having a "home state" permit. This is supposition on my part. I have no idea how LEO's know if an out of state permit is recognized. I figured I'd eliminate the possible hassle.

#21 ·
I have both TX and FL CHLs. I originally got the FL CHL before Texas got reciprocity with Colorado, and I was planning a trip to CO. Never made the trip, and TX now has reciprocity with CO, but I renewed my FL license anyway. Why? Well, it does not come up for renewal at the same time as my Texas license, and after the obamination, TXDPS had a huge flood of applications at the same time they acquired a nasty computer virus. End result was lengthy delays in processing applications, both new and renewal. My staggered renewal times are a hedge against such problems. Besides, my Florida license has Charles Bronson's name on it, so it's extra cool...:wink:

#23 ·
There have been many threads on this.

A bunch of us have multiple carry permits/licenses, including myself.
VA-Resident (My business is based here), MA-Resident (I live here), CT (border state I regularly travel among & through), NH (I teach here), PA (I travel through here to get to & from VA to MA) and FL (General principle!).

I would not at all though spend the time and _money_ to get out of state permits just to hang on an I'm cool chain as attached to my wallet.
As to your friend, maybe it's time to get a new friend to hang with and talk to (?).

- Janq

#24 ·
If you travel it is sometimes necessary to have multiple permits to cover all the states you will be traveling to. Having multiple permits strictly for bragging rights is childish.

#26 ·
I obtained my Florida permit when I lived in Maryland and traveled to Florida on a semi regular basis. When I moved to Texas I obtained my Texas CHL. I think Florida reciprocity covers one state Texas doesn't. As has been said different expiration dates keep me legal while paperwork is processed.

Oh yeah, and if you want you can do like that guy in Philly. You can let the cops seize your weapon and permit, and then you show up with another and make them do it all over again!

#27 ·
Help him out. You go to one quality training class, that way he'll have to go to at least two.

#28 ·
Well, why don't you tell him that you are eager for him to get his CHP and his Desert Eagle so that you can both go to the range. Make sure you get a firing lane next to him and then humiliate him with your better shooting skills that only come with training and experience. He may "1 up you" with all the gear in the World he can afford, but not even all the money in Europe can make you a better shooter without practice. Also, I would love for you to take pictures of him when he tries to conceal carry his Desert Eagle...what a jackass!!!

I know what you mean and I hate people that are always trying to 1 up you in everything. I just let them be and enjoy watching them making a fool of themselves...just don't get into their games.

#29 ·
I don't have multiple permits (still waiting on the one from Indiana to show up:mad: ) but I plan on getting a Utah permit as well fairly soon. The Indiana permit is not that great in the reciprocity department and we do travel some to visit family in the summer months. (I really miss my TN permit, it was good in something like 34 states.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.