Local Wal-Mart becoming dangerous, father finally gets it.

This is a discussion on Local Wal-Mart becoming dangerous, father finally gets it. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Locally we have had few attacks in the Wal Mart parking lot. The most recent on the list was a women shot (it was not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Local Wal-Mart becoming dangerous, father finally gets it.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Locally we have had few attacks in the Wal Mart parking lot. The most recent on the list was a women shot (it was not random but a domestic situation) and survived, just got word they caught the BG today. The other girl was getting into her car when someone approached her and asked her for money, the women said she did not have any and the BG attacked her inside her car, kicked and hit her and tried using a stun gun on her, pushed her out of the car and stole the car and the womans purse, they caught her today as well (side note, it was my sisters best friend that was the BG, not a good thing to hear).

My dad never got the point of why I carried (I do not even think he realizes I am carrying most of the time, he just learned the other day I had a new gun as I was gunless for awhile). Today he made a statement that it is getting to the point that people almost need to have a weapon, I made the comment to the effect of "that is why I have a .45, ya never know when or where, but I am prepared".
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

The one block around Wal-Mart is statistically most dangerous area in our city.

Glock Certified Armorer

You just never know. That is the point actually behind carrying a weapon. I'm guessing there is no background check for buying a stun gun these days, or pepper spray for that matter. If criminals are upping the ante with these sorts of items in order to facilitate an attack, then even better to be prepared. Thing is............these items are less than lethal, and the question remains......is an answer of lethal force justified in such attacks, or are the criminals that use these tactics attempting to take us down with them by using the system and the laws? If you can be incapacitated by a less than lethal force employed by a criminal with bad intentions....does this still define an immediate threat on your life and a lethal response? To me it does. I'm just wondering where the law draws the line. I'd go to prison just for surviving either way. I'm just raising questions here, and hoping some of our law makers are doing the same. A charged criminal still has more given rights under the law before trial than the average citizen. Amateur criminals who want to make a career out of crime can get a better education on the laws from behind bars than most of us could afford on the outside..... with all of the bills being paid and three meals a day. 5-10 could make you an attorney.....but you'd never be able to own a firearm again (legally). Sorry.....just rattling off what's in my mind right now. Lot less internal paperwork and man hours spent working a case where an officer of the law put someone down as opposed to a "legally armed" citizen putting someone down in fear of their life. CC permits are good logistics overall, and most of us are paying for it to support what exactly? The system. If I knew 100% of my permit fees went to the state police, I'd be just fine with that notion. The "issuing authority" is another thing. Just like telemarketing and tax deductible contributions. How do we know who takes a cut, from where, and for what? Again....my apologies for the rant. This obviously seemed the right place for me to bring it up. Be careful, survive, and try to stay on the best side of the law even when the law has as many sides as a Rubik's cube.

Great question Ram Rod. If a person attacks with less than lethal (stun gun, pepper spray, etc.), is lethal force defense justified? You could be incapacitated and then they'd have your firearm...and you'd have no defense. Unfortunately, criminals don't struggle with the legalities of issues like (I have lethal force and they don't). At that point, crime obviously isn't a moral issue for them.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

How about just avoiding that WalMart, and tell your sister to start hanging out with a better class of people.

There is nothing in any WalMart or any other store that's worth braving a dangerous neighborhood to buy.

If I felt I absolutely needed a gun to go to a specific store, I'd find other sources for what I want to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Great question Ram Rod. If a person attacks with less than lethal (stun gun, pepper spray, etc.), is lethal force defense justified? You could be incapacitated and then they'd have your firearm...and you'd have no defense. Unfortunately, criminals don't struggle with the legalities of issues like (I have lethal force and they don't). At that point, crime obviously isn't a moral issue for them.
    Anyone attacking me with a stun gun will be shot in defense.

I wish I could convince more people of the need to avoid Wal-Mart. The food section aside, something like 85% of stuff sold there is imported from China at the cost of American jobs and a severe unbalance of trade (more Dollars going out than Yuan coming in). On top of that, Wal-Marts just seem to be a magnet for the scum of life who'd rather steal than work to support themselves.

I doubt Sam Walton ever envisioned his company subverting the American economy, and I bet the company would be driving in a different direction today if he was still around.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Locally we have had few attacks in the Wal Mart parking lot. The most recent on the list was a women shot (it was not random but a domestic situation) and survived, just got word they caught the BG today. The other girl was getting into her car when someone approached her and asked her for money, the women said she did not have any and the BG attacked her inside her car, kicked and hit her and tried using a stun gun on her, pushed her out of the car and stole the car and the womans purse, they caught her today as well (side note, it was my sisters best friend that was the BG, not a good thing to hear).

My dad never got the point of why I carried (I do not even think he realizes I am carrying most of the time, he just learned the other day I had a new gun as I was gunless for awhile). Today he made a statement that it is getting to the point that people almost need to have a weapon, I made the comment to the effect of "that is why I have a .45, ya never know when or where, but I am prepared".
    That should not surprise you, it uses to be like that in the Wal-Mart parking lot. You should see what it is like in S FL .
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    No question of "morality" here. We already know criminals don't subscribe to that anyway. Moral issues and legal issues are far apart. Even though our legal tender still states "in God we trust"....doesn't require a legal obligation of the issuing authority to do so (obviously).

My local Walmart is pretty "exciting" at niht and on the weekends. I still wont stop shopping there. I LOVE Walmart and couldnt care less of the political reason people have not to shop there....I spend easily $800 a month in Walmart and have the receipts to back that up.

My sister insists on shopping there. After we leave, I feel dirty.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I think that the question of lethal force against a non lethal weapon, will revolve around the core crime, robbery, rape, etc and the particular states statutes related to same. In some states lethal force is authorized to prevent a felony, in others not.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You just never know. That is the point actually behind carrying a weapon.
    That really is about all one needs to know. It explains the "random" nature of it all. It explains the surprise. It explains the purpose behind being armed, devoid of all the political crap that spins our conception of what it means to be free of fear and not living subject to the demands of criminals.

Criminals strike everywhere, practically. A person who visits a mix of businesses and does a variety of activities throughout a given year is almost certain to be "marked" as a potential target at some point, given the probability of having crossed paths with numerous criminals on the prowl over that time. Who knows what little variations in reality will change the attention span of a criminal, to make us less tempting as targets. But the statistics are pretty bad for a person in a major metro area, in terms of avoiding crime across a lifetime. It's likely to occur at some point that a person or people he knows personally are going to need to defend against violent crime. And there is really only one question a person needs to answer: do I want to survive it, or not. Decide, then act accordingly. Me, I prefer training, being armed and keeping my eyes and ears open while I go about a sensible lifestyle.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    Anyone attacking me with a stun gun will be shot in defense.
    In the heat of the situation, it all happening so quickly, you were threatened and assaulted by someone with a weapon in hand that appeared to be a gun and you genuinely feared for your life.

^^^^^ Repeat as necessary ^^^^^

Do not vary

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links