I graduated

This is a discussion on I graduated within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally graduated. No, not school. I have had my 1911 for nearly a month and had been carrying without one in chamber but hammer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I graduated

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

I graduated

I finally graduated. No, not school. I have had my 1911 for nearly a month and had been carrying without one in chamber but hammer back. I tend to do this with every new gun I get (carry cocked but nothing in chamber) so that I can see for myself that it wont discharge itself during a normal day of carrying.

Today I felt the desire, I took the safety off, racked the slide while aiming into my bucket of sand and chambered a round. I put the safety on, got an extra round and put into the magazine, holstered my weapon.

I carried condition one for the first time today I know for 99.9% of you that is not a big deal, but for me being a new 1911 owner, the thought of the hammer being bumped and a it discharging a round is quite scary. I feel like a acomplished something today
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Good on ya. For me, it was gradual as well.

I think if one is not apprehensive (is thoughtful or pensive a better descriptor) about carrying a loaded pistol for the first time, there is something wrong. No matter how much you have trained or who you have trained with.

Plus you can get the kinks out of your carry system. Maybe I am just slow, but I did not perform perfectly in this area from the start. It was a process.

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    I finally graduated. No, not school. I have had my 1911 for nearly a month and had been carrying without one in chamber but hammer back. I tend to do this with every new gun I get (carry cocked but nothing in chamber) so that I can see for myself that it wont discharge itself during a normal day of carrying.

Today I felt the desire, I took the safety off, racked the slide while aiming into my bucket of sand and chambered a round. I put the safety on, got an extra round and put into the magazine, holstered my weapon.

I carried condition one for the first time today I know for 99.9% of you that is not a big deal, but for me being a new 1911 owner, the thought of the hammer being bumped and a it discharging a round is quite scary. I feel like a acomplished something today
    You mean to tell me you inserted one bullet through the breech THEN put the magazine in?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I had a fully loaded magazine in the gun, racked the slide to chamber a round, removed magazine and topped it off.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Good on ya. For me, it was gradual as well.

I think if one is not apprehensive (is thoughtful or pensive a better descriptor) about carrying a loaded pistol for the first time, there is something wrong. No matter how much you have trained or who you have trained with.

Plus you can get the kinks out of your carry system. Maybe I am just slow, but I did not perform perfectly in this area from the start. It was a process.
    Not my first time carrying, but first time with a 1911, it is really a psych factor with the hammer back, hard to grasp for a minute.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

I was more apprehensive about carrying my Glock for the first time than I was with my 1911. I guess the two safeties on the 1911 made me feel like it was a safe gun to carry, even with the hammer cocked.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Congrats on gradiation!!!!! I understand your hesitation with an unfamiliar platform. I got my 1st 1911 a couple months ago and I started out carrying mine chambered and on half-cock. At times, I carried it cocked and locked and really didn't have concern about it. I wasn't comfortable leaving it like that all the time or while at home. One day in the truck driving home from work as I placed it on the passenger seat I realized the hammer was cocked and naturally the safety was off. I realized the hammer caught the edge of the truck safe putting it in that morning. Good thing the finger stayed away from the trigger and it stayed pointed in a safe direction. That's why safety is a multi-layered approach. I've also realized it is less likely for the safety to get knocked off than the half-cocked hammer to get knocked back. I've put it away for a week or so to think about it before I go back to carrying it everyday again. Not the guns fault, but mine. Got to get my mind right.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I carried chamber empty for a short while when I was new, as well. I think that the first few times, I only had 3-4 rounds in the magazine, too. Good to hear your graduated, congrats, be safe.

Congrats, I remember that day well!

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Congrats I guess. I never was apprehensive about carrying a 1911 with one in the pipe as long as it was cocked and locked. I was with my Glock but that went away quickly.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    am i the only one who got my permit, got a gun, chambered a round topped it off and away i went? seems like there are so many new permit holders who won't carry their weapon condition one. Even when I changed manuel of arms from revolvers to autos, and then from striker fired to 1911 I carried condition one. Am I the only one who had no issues with this? Not trying to put anyone down, but I am starting to notice a trend of people being overly cautions (not really possible with firearms, i assume you get my drift) with their carry piece, if you're gonna carry, carry it loaded or not at all
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    am i the only one who got my permit, got a gun, chambered a round topped it off and away i went? seems like there are so many new permit holders who won't carry their weapon condition one. Even when I changed manuel of arms from revolvers to autos, and then from striker fired to 1911 I carried condition one. Am I the only one who had no issues with this? Not trying to put anyone down, but I am starting to notice a trend of people being overly cautions (not really possible with firearms, i assume you get my drift) with their carry piece, if you're gonna carry, carry it loaded or not at all
    No. My 1st carry gun, revolver, I carried loaded and ready. My second, third, fourth, and fifth were semi-autos all carried loaded ready to fire, no safety. I only took precautions when I stepped into a platform I was completely new to. I carried fully loaded, chambered, sometimes cocked and locked, sometimes half-cocked (depending on where I was and what the situation was).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Congrats on your new confidence.
    I never carried without one in the chamber...come to think of it, I never carried a chain saw without the chain on it either.
    All 'tools' should always be ready for use.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I carried chamber empty for a short while when I was new, as well. I think that the first few times, I only had 3-4 rounds in the magazine, too. Good to hear your graduated, congrats, be safe.
    Why so few rounds?
    Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post

What 1911 you have?
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I was more apprehensive about carrying my Glock for the first time than I was with my 1911. I guess the two safeties on the 1911 made me feel like it was a safe gun to carry, even with the hammer cocked.
    Same.Once i went from Glocks to 1911,it was a breeze.

Congrats! I didn't have the same issue but each of us is different. my little brother was shocked when I revealed I was carrying, even more shocked when he found out I carried with one in the chamber.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links