To tell or not to tell

This is a discussion on To tell or not to tell within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't carry at work on on the property, but I have shared a lot about weapons with other school employees. I have handed out ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: To tell or not to tell

I can't carry at work on on the property, but I have shared a lot about weapons with other school employees. I have handed out CCW permit packages, talked about SD/HD, and our school officer resource officer arranges the classes. We've had a fourth of our staff get their permits.
    One has to pick the places and people you talk with...OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by adclose View Post
    I'm kind of conflicted on this issue.
    Within "the fold," I am open and free with the information, if asked. As you say, there are people who can really benefit from an intelligent and factual discussion about the pros and cons of firearms, concealed carry.

However, outside that group, I simply see little reason anyone needs to worry about it. People being what they are, in every group there will be idiots, brazen and stupid enough to make things difficult for a person based on a perceived need to achieve any of a variety of goals. Some might want to call police, since that's what upstanding people are supposed to do when they see guns. Some might want to exact some sort of punishment or difficulty upon a person they mistrust or dislike. Others, still, will be died-in-the-wool anti-gunners who see it as a moral mission to whack the legs out from under anyone daring to exercise the right to carry arms. At one's place of work, if the wrong person knows then it can have blowback in a person's career (at least at the given place of work). One can't always tell where such people are, even in a group of folks we know relatively well. As a result, I'm with most folks in saying that it's just nobody's business but mine. I'll choose whom I tell, and when. Generally, that's with a very small group of people, after they've proven themselves to be honorable and one of the "good guys." YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

GM
    My family and my close friends know that I carry.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by adclose View Post
    Ok, so here is my deal, I'm kind of conflicted on this issue. I carry, and my wife and kids are all very aware of it, and all know not to tell others, and if they want to ask about it in public, to use the code word. Where I struggle is with some of the people I am friends with, and work with. Because, I want to encourage responsible gun ownership. I am very careful who and how I tell. But have found that most of the time I when approached carefully the subject, it is a none issue. That said, most of the time I never say that I am carrying, just that I have a license. So what is the balance between, tactical advantage, not "scaring the sheep", but sharing with people, and showing people that most gun owners are responsible, normal people?
    If your friends are smart enough, they can put 2 and 2 together and figure out that you're carrying a gun. If not................don't tell them.

Kev
    <><

Heed Thumper's warning!

I keep guns in my house,in my truck and on me.My neighbors deal drugs and have guns.My best friend has and carries guns.The basic rule i go by is: Dont tell unless someone mentions it.Normally if you know a person,you can tell what their view is going to be on the issue.Besides,not everyone keeps your secrets.They may tell someone who tells...

Best thing to do is let them bring the subject up.If not,fine.Your guns are for you,not them.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I'm fairly open with people I know. My wife and I have seen several AG turn PG in the last two years. The fact that I carry has never been an issue to anyone; even with my friends who do not like firearms.

However, I "DO" keep quiet around people I do NOT know. But, I always try to find a way to make a "convert". (Whether it's a convert for Christ; or for guns) The "only" way you can convert people is by talking to them.

As to losing "tactical" advantage. I think nobody but, the criminal has a "tactical" advantage. (He's the only one who knows if you will be selected as a victim.) But, that discussion has been hashed and re-hashed over & over again; and that discussion belongs in another thread.
    +1, from start to finish. Friends I have no problem with and am an ambassador for 2A rights. If I don't know someone I keep quiet until I know them.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    IMO, you don't have to disclose your CC to be a good advocate of responsible gun ownership. You can spread the love for guns and safety without ever even suggesting that you (or anyone) CC.

That said, I am not a secretive person about my CC. I am a little different than most here though, being a LEO.

If you don't want others to know, don't let them. If you don't care, tell them. Find what works for you and what you're comfortable with.

Stay safe, Sigmanluke
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

KSCarry makes a great point, If a situation arises, you never know how people will react.

Which reminds me of one ccw friend who told me one time downtown he and his girlfriend encountered a guy who looked like a mugger, and as they got closer she asked, too loudly, "do you have your gun?" Turned out the guy was just a homeless guy, but that announcement due to her panic could have immediately escalated the situation had the homeless guy been an actual aggressor.

More great points:

Glocksin - Someone you've told may tell someone else, who may end up having a problem with it and cause problems for you.

SigmanLuke - You can advocate a pro-gun attitude without revealing you carry concealed.

It's possible that there is some guilt at not revealing to people that you have a CCW. There's this need to confess to get rid of guilt, and the fear that at some point they'll find out and be upset with you for having never told them. I think it's easier to get forgiveness for not sharing everything, than to risk panicked or loose-lipped friend causing trouble.

In our area, the press has decided to publish WCP holders and renewals. Quite a few people at work know I have a permit, because they read the paper. I cannot carry at work. I leave my gun in my vehicle locked in a car safe and wear an empty holster (IWB tuckable) while on the job.

A few folks have asked about it.

I go shooting with co-workers who also have guns and are getting or have WCPs.

Otherwise, I don't volunteer the information. I don't have to, it's in the paper.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

3D
    To each his own - I'm totally in agreement with Thumper on this one.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

I'm fairly open with most folks (if the conversation has gone that way) about my liking shooting, and growing up around guns and such, and some of my friends even know I have a pistol permit. (have to have one in CT just to get the thing to the range) Being "into guns" is one thing, "CCing" is entirely another, and as a rule, I don't talk much about it, and strangely enough, it never comes up.

I did a stint as the Oklahoma rep. for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. Due to this fact I'm pretty open about things. I don't just up and talk about it to strangers on the street, but I'm well-known in my circle as "the gun guy." Luckily I'm also known as one of the more responsible people in my circle. Most everyone I work with knows I carry, partly due to the fact that I'm one of the four or so who carry here. I'm very active in gun politics (as well as other areas) and most everyone who knows me knows that. As for who knows... A lot of people. For me it's worth it to get a good image out there.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Keep it concealed and others really don't need to know. There are more advantages to nobody knowing except your family than letting other people in on it.

Concealed means concealed.
    Agreed, and is also my own SOP view.

Sometimes I wear underwear that feature a Batman motif on them.
    Do I have strong feeling to advise the world and friends of this when I do so in the immediate? Nope.

In fact the only folk who tend to know that I am carrying and/or wearing my Batman drawers are my wife and my kids; Who gave me the Batman underwear last Christmas as a gaffe gift thinking I'd never dare wear them...Only they were very much mistaken, and now my kids most every week request that I wear them, and I do.

I make the very personal choice to carry for my own reasons, and not to educate nor motivate the rest of the world around me to do same. That's on them.
    As it is on me to do what I do, so that every morning I can be there to endure being the butt of a joke at the hands of my giggling smiley faced kids.

- Janq is not Batman today

"Concealed means concealed." - Rammerjammer

P.S. - Agreed _very much_ with Thumper.
    Persons who are professionals and/or have social organization responsibilities might _very seriously_ think thrice about revealing their personal feelings, views and practices as worn upon their sleeve. In the real world there often are consequences for same.
    Bruce Wayne kept distance from his 'Batman' persona for very good and wise reason.
    Last edited by Janq; November 5th, 2010 at 05:16 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

There was only one instance when I was carrying that I told someone, otherwise, never (though I have told a few people I have a CPL).

Several months ago I drove about 100 miles south to do some survey analysis for a good old friend of mine who is a general contractor. He was working on a house not far from the property in question and so I met him at said house with my CCW on. After about 30 minutes of talking and waiting around, I stepped outside and waited until he wrapped up what he needed to do. I explained the reason I stepped out was because I had my CCW on (my conscience about said homeowner's opinion yea or nay bothered me more than anything). That was the only time.
    Four Rugers, three SIG Sauers; my SP101 3-1/16" .357 is shown in my avatar. I like reliability.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links