To tell or not to tell

This is a discussion on To tell or not to tell within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I look at it very differently, I guess I'm old school. I've always been taught by wise men who are now dead and gone that ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: To tell or not to tell

Administrator
    I look at it very differently, I guess I'm old school. I've always been taught by wise men who are now dead and gone that firearms was a subject best left between close friends. It isn't about scaring the sheep or holding a tactical advantage. I don't expect to take anyone by surprise nor is my pistol going to jump out like a jungle cat.

I don't talk or even mention guns to anybody else. I'll talk shop anytime somebody asks or brings it up, but I do not want to be known as a "gun guy". If I don't know you, chances are I'll avoid the subject and not give much indication that I know anything at all about firearms. I have no interest in becoming a target of a burglary in addition to Thumper's advice. Nobody knows except close friends and I suppose my wife that I am armed 24/7. There is not a single person on the planet (besides me, but even I forget about some stuff that I have) that knows the extent of my collection. I'll keep it that way to make sure my assets remain my assets.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Thumper's story is more than a little eye opening to me. I'm pretty sure that I will think twice about ever telling anyone at the office that I carry. That said I think i have come to the conclusion that, if someone else brings it up, that I am pro gun, but really nothing beyond that, if its not a person I am very close to.

Thanks for all the stories and thoughts guys.
    Aaron
    G20 / G29

Only *I* can decide if and when my gun should be used. I dont need even my closest family or acquaintances muddying the waters by telegraphing I have it in 'a situation.'

My parents know and it already causes problems. My father thinks I'm overstating how my carrying might be perceived by the public. I can see him making jokes in a tense, argumentative situation. I can see him making a joke about it to a slow waiter for God's sake....."if you dont hurry she'll shoot you." God bless him, he's a very good man, nearly 75 now...but completely obtuse about such things.

A problem for me is going out to dinner. In my state I can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol but I cant go in the lounge/bar area. Alot of times a group will decide to wait in there, or even eat in there instead because there's no wait. So, I mostly leave it at home for such occasions.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I'm with Thumper in a way. Can't carry at work per policy, so even leaking that I have a permit might shift some suspicion my way.
    There's two friends that know, and my family, and you online guys.

My parents know and it already causes problems. My father thinks I'm overstating how my carrying might be perceived by the public. I can see him making jokes in a tense, argumentative situation. I can see him making a joke about it to a slow waiter for God's sake....."if you dont hurry she'll shoot you." God bless him, he's a very good man, nearly 75 now...but completely obtuse about such things.
    My in-laws are kinda like that. Well, my husband too but not as bad. He just can't hold water. The day I took my class he told all of his coworkers......I gave him a good talkdown about that! I don't have to talk about it, my "other half" blabs for me It never occured to me that he would blab like that, and it obviously never occured to him that he shouldn't. Obtuse is a good word for him. Yes. Some days I think I married a 5 year old.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    keep it quiet
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    It's too long of a story to tell here but to my shock, suddenly one afternoon my openness almost cost me my job, though I never carried at work. My mental competence and stability were also brought in to question. Additionally, I would have lost my retirement. It put serious strain on a couple relationships and deeply hurt my family financially. I ended up taking an early retirement that I'm too young to access without penalty and now work for 1/2 the pay I used to get. My permit was also threatened because of their lies. Oh yes, there are some powerful people who hate you having guns!

I never imagined the hell someone else could create for you because they know you carry a gun.
    That's a stark example of just how badly harmed a person's employment situation can be because of lies and suspicion, if certain people decide to stick it to you. All it takes is a crank with a bad attitude, then you find out just where you sit on the "food chain." Good story. Good reminder for everyone about the lunacy, stupidity and spite that can be unleashed without our control once the information has "leaked." Sad that people like that exist ... but they do. The awful part of it is: you'll never know they're coming until they jump on your head.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Welcome to another edition of "Yeah, What Janq Said."

Also, what Thumper said, too.

I see no reason to be an educator of the general public about firearms. We have the NRA for that. I do my part by being a scrupulously safe and responsible owner. The only people who know I'm an owner are a couple of weapons fanatics in my martial arts class - and we go out shooting together. Even they don't know I occasionally CC.

The key point here is that, while I'm really pro-2A and a big believer in self-defense, etc., if someone that I know were to come up to me and inform me that he or she was carrying, I'd think it really weird and strange. Why are you telling me this?

So, to answer our Prince of Denmark here: "Not to tell."
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Silence is golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    Silence is golden.
    Sometimes the "old" wisdom is best.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm very selective with my conversations. There are certain people with whom I don't talk about certain things.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Sometimes feeling the need to teach provides its own lesson.

...It's best, IMHO , to learn from others mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Sometimes the "old" wisdom is best.
    Ccw9mm is right!

Old wisdom is old for a reason ....

It survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Bruce Wayne kept distance from his 'Batman' persona for very good and wise reason.
    Bruce Wayne just came out of the closet and admitted to financing Batman's operations and gear.

For me, most close friends and family already know, but remember that in many states and Arkansas is one, you are breaking state law if you enter a private residence with your concealed weapon without first getting express permission from the home owner. . . .kinda hard to keep it a secret without breaking the law now isn't it?
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

Quote Originally Posted by ZRow1 View Post
    but remember that in many states and Arkansas is one, you are breaking state law if you enter a private residence with your concealed weapon without first getting express permission from the home owner. . .

This is one I havent heard before. I didnt see it in my state's laws. How common is this law?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links