To tell or not to tell

This is a discussion on To tell or not to tell within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by EvilMonk Besides, my friends . . . . have expressed to me the relief they feel after a "questionable event" just knowing ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: To tell or not to tell

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    Besides, my friends . . . . have expressed to me the relief they feel after a "questionable event" just knowing that someone is there who has a gun (yes, I've told them that they too can enjoy the novelty that is responsible gun ownership and carrying...). We don't go looking for trouble anymore than any of you, but it helps to know your options and assets in a SHTF-type of situation.
    I went out to dinner a month ago with friends from church. just a guys' night out in downtown of our large city. One of the guys knew I had a carry permit and carried while at church (it is legal) since he is a trustee. After we parked the car and while walking to the restaurant, he patted my hip and said "just checking". This prompted questions from our friends and I told them I was carrying, had a permit, and if the SHTF, stay away from my left side and take cover behind my right. I thought they may react funny, but to my surprise, they all expressed relief that I carried. The next day at church, no one said a word about it. They just know now why I always sit in the very back and away from the door.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Most people that I know know that I carry.

They don't know when or where, and I think most would be very surprised I carry most all the time.

I like to stay "Low Profile".

I don't ... period. My daughter knows, her husband and his parents (they CC as well) and my grandkids. That's it basically. I figure it's no more someone's business then what underwear I'm wearing that day.

People "new" to carrying, typically have that 'urge' to want to tell others. IMHO .... don't.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Always carry, almost never tell. When in doubt, don't tell. Less people knowing is better.

I've told a few folks because it was obvious from the conversation, and the setting we were in, it was going to be OK. Other than that, it's nobody'd business.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I see only a downside to telling others that you carry. No real upside. As many have noted, concealed means concealed. When i carry, i take pride in the fact that no one (except wife) knows I am carrying. I think it is true that recent CCW folks seem to have an urge to tell others. Get over it. Sure, sometimes it may work out, you may have a "convert", but most of the time, that's probably not going to be the result.
    Gforty and 9MMare like this.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I look at it very differently, I guess I'm old school. I've always been taught by wise men who are now dead and gone that firearms was a subject best left between close friends. It isn't about scaring the sheep or holding a tactical advantage. I don't expect to take anyone by surprise nor is my pistol going to jump out like a jungle cat.

I don't talk or even mention guns to anybody else. I'll talk shop anytime somebody asks or brings it up, but I do not want to be known as a "gun guy". If I don't know you, chances are I'll avoid the subject and not give much indication that I know anything at all about firearms. I have no interest in becoming a target of a burglary in addition to Thumper's advice. Nobody knows except close friends and I suppose my wife that I am armed 24/7. There is not a single person on the planet (besides me, but even I forget about some stuff that I have) that knows the extent of my collection. I'll keep it that way to make sure my assets remain my assets.
    Sixto, we're all onto your little secret too buddy.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Sixto, we're all onto your little secret too buddy.
    Yeah, but I'm "Sixto" here, but not in the real world.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Always Carry,Never Tell. I do.

Need to know basis, few have the need.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    No way would I tell anyone that doesn't have a super-need (what ever that means) to know.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I'm with the "need to know" side of the issue.

No one outside of my IMMEDIATE (spouse and adult children) family has the requisite need to know.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

My family knows I do, and it is such a common thing now I think they actually forget about it. My wife knows because she carries too. My in-laws know, because I was telling my fiancee I was going to disarm before entering their home out of respect since they did not know I carried. They approached to ask why I was not coming in right away. She blurted out that I carried and did not want to come in because I was afraid I would offend them. They are hunters and farmers, and have always had long guns around, but no handguns. I had been dating their daughter for over a year at that point and been around them many times wearing a handgun and they had no idea. They were shocked I could hid a "big" handgun (Glock 23) on me that easily. If I had my way they still wouldnt know. Very very few of my associates or friends know I am a gun guy. I like it that way.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    There's a guy that I've been conversing with via email & phone for a few months. He has an interest in helping my business get off the ground in the GA area; so I met with him ftf for the first time this weekend.

After a few minutes of conversation, I told him I really wanted him to know who I was if we are to be in business together. I let him know that I was a proud Christian conservative who unashamedly clings to his guns & his religion. I also told him that aunt Janet most likely has me on a terrorist "watch" list because I am affiliated with the well know terrorist organization called the "Tea Party".

I told him that if we were to work together he must accept the risks and accept who I was. I let him know that I wasn't interested in a business relationship if he had ANY progressive leaning or DNC affiliations.

He gave me a big smile and said he and his wife were most likely on the same list. We then spent the rest of the night talking about our PCWs and personal histories with firearms and the importance of REAL change in 2012.
    thephanatik likes this.

I don't carry concealed yet, since I live in Wisconsin, but I am open with my classmates and professors about my intent to carry concealed when I get a permit. Concealed carry is a new idea for most people here, so I try to let people see a "real" example of the type of person that will be carrying concealed and make a positive impression on them. I also won't be seeing most of the people I'm going to college with in a year from now, since I'm in my senior year and will be graduating soon.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

VIP Member
    No harm erver came from keeping your mouth shut!
    PPKman likes this.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links