Do you Live in a Dream World?....

This is a discussion on Do you Live in a Dream World?.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Saw this video overon another forum and wanted to share it. It was posted on Glocktalk and I thought you all might want to critique ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you Live in a Dream World?....

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar

Do you Live in a Dream World?....

Saw this video overon another forum and wanted to share it. It was posted on Glocktalk and I thought you all might want to critique it as well. It was posted by the Violence Policy Center so there is a great deal of bias.

Link to Video Part One of Two.

Link to Video Part Two of Two.

I am rather upset at the obvious flaws in their little experiment. The bias is obvious and I feel that it is unfair to suggest that this will always be the case. Nevertheless it is an interesting video and I am shocked it was on television.

2. Remove Ads

bla bla, you can't protect yourself, bla bla, give us your guns before you hurt yourself, bla bla, or you family, bla bla, or me bla bla, guns are bad m-kay, bla bla, guns should be illegal, bla bla, only LEO's should have guns bla bla, give us your guns for your protection, bla bla.

Or should it be baah baah?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

This kind of "reporting" really gets me going because they ignore all of the readily available historical data and just make up stuff.

Do they do it maliciously or because they are ignorant?

Whatever the reason they need to be careful to discover and tell the truth. They're dealing with lives here.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

I'm not shocked at all that the media would set-up a scenario in such a flawwed manner. Notice they have the person in the front middle of the room and the BG (an expert marksman) knows who the person in the room with the gun is and they target that person immediately. Realistically, a BG would have no idea if anyone would have a gun. To get anywhere near a realistic result, it should be a double blind experiment. They should take an average person with no idea of the specifics with general instructions to enter the room and target as many people randomly as possible. Loose the gloves too. They slanted this thing as far to one side as possible. I feel for the people that watch something like this without seeing the media slant.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I watched both videos all the way through and there were some valid points, but the emphasis was on their "Dream World" fantasy.

Video 1
    Bogus...While some practice was visible in shooting, there was none show on actually drawing the gun other than, "this is how you draw the gun" and that was from a standing position, not the sitting position used in the scenario.
    Bogus...The drapey overgarment was a specific disadvantage to drawing the weapon, especially while sitting.
    Questionable...It was hard to tell if the CCWr was targeted when their draw was attempted and observed or if information on which student was armed was given to the shooter.
    Valid...If you never practice your draw or fumble your draw in a shooting situation, you will probably get shot.

Video 2
    Bogus...More of the same as in video 1
    Valid...If there is a sleeper in a shooting situation, your problems are increased.
    Valid...If you do not train, you are ill-equipped to handle a gunfight.

Conclusion: While the apparent intent was negative, some valid points were made. There also seems to be the assumption that no one who acquires a gun and ccw will train to prepare themselves for situations requiring lethal force. An assumption, rebutted by the vast majority of members here.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I'm not shocked at all that the media would set-up a scenario in such a flawwed manner. Notice they have the person in the front middle of the room and the BG (an expert marksman) knows who the person in the room with the gun is and they target that person immediately. Realistically, a BG would have no idea if anyone would have a gun. To get anywhere near a realistic result, it should be a double blind experiment. They should take an average person with no idea of the specifics with general instructions to enter the room and target as many people randomly as possible. Loose the gloves too. They slanted this thing as far to one side as possible. I feel for the people that watch something like this without seeing the media slant.
    As far as the gloves and the helmet goes, I suspect that this is required when using simunitions. But everything else I agree with you 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I watched both videos all the way through and there were some valid points, but the emphasis was on their "Dream World" fantasy.

Video 1
    Bogus...While some practice was visible in shooting, there was none show on actually drawing the gun other than, "this is how you draw the gun" and that was from a standing position, not the sitting position used in the scenario.
    Bogus...The drapey overgarment was a specific disadvantage to drawing the weapon, especially while sitting.
    Questionable...It was hard to tell if the CCWr was targeted when their draw was attempted and observed or if information on which student was armed was given to the shooter.
    Valid...If you never practice your draw or fumble your draw in a shooting situation, you will probably get shot.

Video 2
    Bogus...More of the same as in video 1
    Valid...If there is a sleeper in a shooting situation, your problems are increased.
    Valid...If you do not train, you are ill-equipped to handle a gunfight.

Conclusion: While the apparent intent was negative, some valid points were made. There also seems to be the assumption that no one who acquires a gun and ccw will train to prepare themselves for situations requiring lethal force. An assumption, rebutted by the vast majority of members here.
    I do agree with your assessment of the videos but I must point out that the vast majority of people here do train but that does not mean the vast majority of gunowners or permit holders do. I would be willing to bet that those who regularly train are in the minority of gunwoners and CCWers.

Unfortunately, you are probably correct, which sadly reenforces "their" position.

Something else that came back to me from the videos. One of the cops was a weapons instructor, the other was an ERT (I hate that PC acromym/term) member speaking of how perishable the skills are. I wonder how often the other 158 sworn on that department train and qualify.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I actually like it. To me it comes off as them saying, " hey, if you want to be a cc'er you must have training. Dont just go out and buy a gun and think that IT is going to save your life, YOU must save your life and those around you."

On another note, doesnt this whole thing basicly take place in a college class setting? I thought you cant carry on campus?

Another thought, its taking these kids approx 5-6 seconds to get the first shot off. I know that i can draw from a 'not so opportunistic' position and get my first shot off in 2.5 seconds. I would hope the BG would be down after he got mabye 2 shots at the proffessor. Guess thats probably just in my "dreamworld".

At least they had a chance, without the gun they would have been just like everyone else in the room, running or dead. Practice, practice, practice!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

BOO!

Nobody and i mean nobody would carry a gun in that position,12 o'clock.And i dont know of anyone who has spent one day at the range thinking they are as good as in a game.I doubt thats even real cops in that video,i dont know any policemen that biased against armed citizens.And the little bit of training they gave wasnt worth turd pie for someone brand new to guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    "To me it comes off as them saying, " hey, if you want to be a cc'er you must have training. Dont just go out and buy a gun and think that IT is going to save your life, YOU must save your life and those around you."
    I agree. That was my take on it as well.

The fact that they used a top brake holster makes this test retarded. It would have been different if Crossbreeds were used.

RKM
    I've seen that before. It's annoying, but it does prove that trained is a good thing to have. But again, I also think it's hugely biased as saying, it's not worth buying a gun, it won't save you. I have mixed feelings about it. The big shirts, face mask, gloves, I understand it's part of the protection from the paintball training guns, but damn, if that's not a set up, I don't know what is. And usually, a random shooting this is supposed be like usually doesn't have a trained officer as a gunman, unless it's a professional hit. Almost always, you're more well trained then the badguy. Rarely you'll come across a badguy with actual training.

RKM,i have to disagree.Now im really sorry i could not find the article,but i swear its out their.It was either in Combat Handguns or Tactical Weapons.It was interviews of criminals.They were scared they would be caught or killed,so they trained hard.And some scary statistics as to how few LEO's actually train more than once a month.

Of course,in the majority of cases,it would not be that way,but you never know...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links