Judge takes Lynchburg man's concealed carry permit away for one year

This is a discussion on Judge takes Lynchburg man's concealed carry permit away for one year within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just suppose that he'd shot someone else instead of himself! I say he got off easy....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Judge takes Lynchburg man's concealed carry permit away for one year

Just suppose that he'd shot someone else instead of himself! I say he got off easy.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

2. Remove Ads

Earlier reports indicated this guy was drinking beer while carrying; in clear violation of Virginia law.
    In addition he fled the scene after shooting himself clearly indicating he knew he had broken the law.

I think he's getting off easy, could have a charge on his record that would prohibit him from getting a permit for the rest of his life.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

To be honest, if I was the judge I probably would have revoked he permit permanently - not sure about the destruction of the gun though. 100% negligence, its occasions like this that gives fuel to the anti's. Thank god he only shot himself in the leg and he is ok, he was in a restaurant for pete's sake, what if that bullet cleared his pants and went into the chest of little Susan sitting at the table across from him? He got off way too easy in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Just suppose that he'd shot someone else instead of himself! I say he got off easy.
    Agree 100% He could be in JAIL ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Is there a moral to this story?
    Yes, get a pocket holster!
    I don't see the reason to destroy the Glock since he can just buy another one. They will also have a hard time destroying a Glock though ;-)

What exactly gives the judge the authority to destroy private property? That's probably the only issue I have with his decision really. Under what statute can a court summarily steal property from the dumbo that shot himself?

Yes he was an idiot, yes he deserves some level of punishment, and it sounds like the judge was on the right track. But can you imagine the outcry if a judge were to order a DUI drivers vehicle destroyed?
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A fine, revocation of permit, and court-ordered firearm safety class are in order. I do not agree with the destruction of the personal property. Do judges take away every knife after some wife cuts her hand slicing onions? Do judges destroy a people's car after they runs a stop sign and hit someone? Do they remove all the paper in your house when you get careless opening teh mail and get a paper-cut?

As for all the "ifs" thrown into the situation? Throwing "Ifs" in changes what was. What is, is. What might have been, wasn't. No excuse for his negligence; I think he got the point.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Buy a holster. The Glock you save could be your own.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Yes, get a pocket holster!
    I don't see the reason to destroy the Glock since he can just buy another one. They will also have a hard time destroying a Glock though ;-)
    "Reports indicated that the 'destroyed' Glock exclaimed 'hah! its only a scratch!'"
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I just can't agree with destroying his gun. Fine him, punish him, make him lose concealed carry permit for a year, but there is absolutely no reason to destroy this man's personal property.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mandalitten View Post
    They will also have a hard time destroying a Glock though ;-)

Sorry, had to do it...

But on topic, as far as I'm concerned, if convicted of a felony, he wouldn't be able to own a gun, otherwise, the gun should be returned.

Here's the authority for seizing and destroying the weapon:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...od+19.2-386.27

Sec. 18.2-308 is Virginia's concealed weapon permit law. Click on that link and you'll find that he could have been convicted of a Class 1 misdemeanor, sentenced to 12 months in jail and lost his permit for 5 years. Like I mentioned above, this guy got a major break from the Court and his lawyer certainly earned the fee.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Seems like he got off easy. Destroyed weapon or not.

For the record: I never support destroying perfectly good items. Cars. Weapons. Whatever. I'm not a green tree hugger, but REALLY how the heck is rendering a perfectly good firearm useless (and wasting it) gonna solve anything?

(Also: personally, I would have no problem with the state taking someones vehicle for DUI. I don't support destroying it, because thats just a plain waste of a vehicle/parts, but I would have no problem with the courts taking ownership of the vehicle. I can't STAND DUI, there is NO excuse for it.)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I, also, think the idiot got off easy! I don't agree with destroying the gun, though. I wouldn't mind if they confisicated it, but I just hate to see a good gun destroyed! Period. In Ohio, a gun must be carried in a holster. Pocket holsters are OK, but it must be in some kind of holster, period. No loose guns in pocket or purses, etc. Also, currently in Ohio, you can't carry a gun into a restaurant that serves alcohol, (but hopefully that will change with the new republicans taking over the Ohio House). This idiot was lucky he didn't injure or kill someone else in the restaurant, and lucky he didn't suffer a stiffer penalty.
    Last edited by JDE101; November 5th, 2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: added something, corrected spelling
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by CPO 15 View Post
    Here's the authority for seizing and destroying the weapon:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...od+19.2-386.27

Sec. 18.2-308 is Virginia's concealed weapon permit law. Click on that link and you'll find that he could have been convicted of a Class 1 misdemeanor, sentenced to 12 months in jail and lost his permit for 5 years. Like I mentioned above, this guy got a major break from the Court and his lawyer certainly earned the fee.
    The reference you quoted is only applicable for violating 18.2-308, which is having a conceal weapon without a permit. If the individual had a permit, the only thing he was guilty of was shooting himself--which is NOT in violation of carrying a CW without a permit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links