Judge takes Lynchburg man's concealed carry permit away for one year

This is a discussion on Judge takes Lynchburg man's concealed carry permit away for one year within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree with the judge. That guy was a accident waiting to happen. IMO, he's darn lucky no one else was injured or killed by ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Judge takes Lynchburg man's concealed carry permit away for one year

I agree with the judge. That guy was a accident waiting to happen.

IMO, he's darn lucky no one else was injured or killed by his poor judgment; it could've been a lot worse.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

No problem with any of that. Just like a kid if the punishment doesn't "hit home" hard enough then there is no lesson learned. I agree he should have been made to take a "serious" safety class and purchase a pocket holster before the return of his license. Then man potentially endangered the life of anyone around him.

I also see nothing wrong with a judge ordering the destruction of a car that a drunk driver is driving. That will teach a good lesson to those jerks who endanger the lives if innocent people. Except I would rather see the car given to a charity. In fact, the more I think about it the more I think it should be a law. Drunk driving, 1st offense = loss of license for 1 year and giving up ownership of the car.

Why was the weapon destroyed? And why is he not allowed to carry for a year? You don't see cops getting these punishments for accidental discharges do you? A few weird things about that to me.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Wonder how many 'destroyed' firearms end up in private collections. Don't say it doesn't happen...

I think the punishment is severe. While the act was negligent and dangerous, the punishment seems to be for what 'could have happened' versus what did happen. I never did like that section of the Code that lets Sheriffs and COPs decide what someone is 'likely to do' in the future. I think it is too vague. Should a known drug dealer get barred even though he has never been caught and convicted? Probably. But if he has never been convicted, how can you 'prove' he's a dealer. Why hasn't he been caught? Franklin's belief in our judicial system that 'better 100 go free than 1 be wrongly convicted' is dear to my heart. Here we have a chief law enforcement officer deciding who gets a permit based on his belief. I know there are some that believe any citizen is a hertbeat away from being a criminal, usually because they aren't in the Blue Club.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by javahawk View Post
    Why was the weapon destroyed? And why is he not allowed to carry for a year? You don't see cops getting these punishments for accidental discharges do you? A few weird things about that to me.
    To me accidental and being stupid enough to carry a semi in a pocket without a holster are 2 different things.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Franklin's belief in our judicial system that 'better 100 go free than 1 be wrongly convicted' is dear to my heart.
    You have a point, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Should a known drug dealer get barred even though he has never been caught and convicted? Probably. But if he has never been convicted, how can you 'prove' he's a dealer.
    Until he is caught and convicted he is only a suspected drug dealer. Innocent until proven guilty right?
    This guy was convicted. Shown beyond a reasonable doubt to have been reckless with a firearm. He was prevented from committing another crime only by negligently shooting himself. If his judgment is already allowing him to do what he did, what can we expect from him while impaired? I think he got off easy.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Three things:

1. Discharging a weapon in a public area endangers others (serious stuff.)
    2. He was very lucky he didn't hit his femoral artery (in that area of the body you know) and then this would have been just an autopsy report and wouldn't have even made the forum.
    3. Guns are not sacred objects or offspring, danger presented far outways the worry about personal property. the judge obviously felt it a good idea to separate individual and his weapon and many departments have policies prohibiting resale of weapons.

2d Amendment does not guarantee anybody the right to endanger innocent bystanders. I don't support the right to keep and arm fools.

He did something stupid and he paid dearly, that's all.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I do not blame the judge at all for having him pay the penalties for negligence. However, I don't see what good does it do to destroy a fine gun if the carrier is going to buy one just like it. It's sad to blame the gun due to someone's negligence.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    He was convicted of a CRIME - the gun became a "nuisance gun" which some states destroy as a matter of course.

I think the punishment was within Legal Limits - Sucks to be convicted of Anything.........
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    I do not blame the judge at all for having him pay the penalties for negligence. However, I don't see what good does it do to destroy a fine gun if the carrier is going to buy one just like it. It's sad to blame the gun due to someone's negligence.
    I am thinking that making him buy a new gun adds a financial penalty to the punishment that will hopefully make him act wiser next time.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    He was convicted of a CRIME - the gun became a "nuisance gun" which some states destroy as a matter of course.

I think the punishment was within Legal Limits - Sucks to be convicted of Anything.........
    Well, it should send a message to some that carrying with a permit is no joke and not something to be irresponsible and careless with. Unfortunately, there are some who do just that and have no idea what the laws are and what they are getting into. One time, I even chewed out one of the people there about to attend a CCW class after I witnessed him dry-firing his snubbie at the break room of the Superior Gun Range in Pembroke. Is he nuts? Who knows if someone is in the room next to it and a round goes off? If he wants to do that, he needs to do it downrange inside the range. Stupidity like that are one of the main reasons why so many of us are in a bad light and I take offense to someone being negligent with a gun. As for that lout in Lynchburg who got his gun taken and his license revoked, he does not have my sympathy.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links